Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 820 turns off by itself

Counsellor
heredot90

Lumia 820 turns off by itself

Hi everybody,

I've had my Lumia 820 for about 2 weeks. At the begining everything was fine, but recently I've had several problems with the device as I mentioned in the title. It turns itself off time to time. It doesn't matter if I'm using it or it's being charged. I called Nokia Customer Service about this issue, and they said I had to give the phone to the service to be repaired.But I heard that the new one also shuts down. I sent some feedback to Microsoft too, but no reply so far. I just want to know if it is about the software or hardware. Does anybody have an idea about this issue?

If the problem is about the hardware I'm sure I'm not gonna buy another Nokia phone in my life. If it's about the software, I hope Microsoft will release an update ASAP.

In my opinion, both Nokia and Microsoft had better find a solution about this issue immediately just before they lose their new enthusiastic customers. Soon it could be so late...

I just can wait for a couple of weeks, then I'm done with both....

By the way, I heard that Lumia 920 and HTC X both have the same problem. So I think it's about the Windows 8 OS.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ng85

A new update is being rolled out in a phased manner that fixes this issue.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as solution if it solves your problem.
Current Device - Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

heredot90 wrote:

Hi everybody,

I've had my Lumia 820 for about 2 weeks. At the begining everything was fine, but recently I've had several problems with the device as I mentioned in the title. It turns itself off time to time. It doesn't matter if I'm using it or it's being charged. I called Nokia Customer Service about this issue, and they said I had to give the phone to the service to be repaired.But I heard that the new one also shuts down. I sent some feedback to Microsoft too, but no reply so far. I just want to know if it is about the software or hardware. Does anybody have an idea about this issue?

The only way to find out if it's a software or hardware issue is to submit it to Nokia Care for inspection. My 920 doesn't shut down by itself and is very stable.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heredot90

It's good to hear that a new update is coming out.

How do you know that? Is it a rumour or fact?

Thanks for your consideration...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ng85

The update has been rolled out for specific Lumia 920 devices in U.S.. But as stated in the post above its worth to get the device checked at a authorised Nokia Care center.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as solution if it solves your problem.
Current Device - Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

heredot90 wrote:

It's good to hear that a new update is coming out.

How do you know that? Is it a rumour or fact?

Thanks for your consideration...

To read more about the update you can visit the Windows Phone 8 Update History Page

There are some nice features coming for our WP8 devices.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mgspan

I have the same issue with my (old) Nokia 3120c.   Customer service has tried to solve it a few times, with no success.  Just runarounds, like (1) it couldn't be, (2) try updating SW version (didn't help), (3) clean battery (didn't help).

What I have discovered is that (1) it is very dependent on location.  Never happens at my rural home, but often happens in big cities.  (2) If I put it in a Faraday cage (like a metal box) it never happens.  (3) It happens even if nobody touches or moves the phone.

At work it happens often.  I find that if I put it on a large metal plate, it stays on, but cannot receive calls.  But if I  

put it about 1 cm above the metal plate, it stays on and is still able to receive calls.

Possible conclusion, at least for the Nokia 3120c, but probably for other Nokia phones too, at least in some cases:  it is seeing some sort of RF overload and shutting itself down because of this. 

One other point...a different phone of the exact same model which I tested shows the same thing, but much less often.  That is, it is much less sensitive to the suspected overload.

Is it a software issue?  Hard to say.  It could be that the software sees the RF level too high and shuts down the phone as a protective measure.  OR, it could be that some hardware mechanism is operating that shuts down the phone without any software intervention.

I see that there are hundreds of posts with various phone models which complain about this issue, but I have not seen any reply by a Nokia employee.  Frustrating to say the least.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heredot90

mgspan wrote:

I have the same issue with my (old) Nokia 3120c.   Customer service has tried to solve it a few times, with no success.  Just runarounds, like (1) it couldn't be, (2) try updating SW version (didn't help), (3) clean battery (didn't help).

What I have discovered is that (1) it is very dependent on location.  Never happens at my rural home, but often happens in big cities.  (2) If I put it in a Faraday cage (like a metal box) it never happens.  (3) It happens even if nobody touches or moves the phone.

At work it happens often.  I find that if I put it on a large metal plate, it stays on, but cannot receive calls.  But if I  

put it about 1 cm above the metal plate, it stays on and is still able to receive calls.

Possible conclusion, at least for the Nokia 3120c, but probably for other Nokia phones too, at least in some cases:  it is seeing some sort of RF overload and shutting itself down because of this. 

One other point...a different phone of the exact same model which I tested shows the same thing, but much less often.  That is, it is much less sensitive to the suspected overload.

Is it a software issue?  Hard to say.  It could be that the software sees the RF level too high and shuts down the phone as a protective measure.  OR, it could be that some hardware mechanism is operating that shuts down the phone without any software intervention.

I see that there are hundreds of posts with various phone models which complain about this issue, but I have not seen any reply by a Nokia employee.  Frustrating to say the least.

Your experience is very interesting. But I don't think my problem is the same. By the way despite all my feedbacks, no one from Nokia or Microsoft reply me... The most interesting thing is that, I think. I'm considering to change my phone if the problem goes on...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
roma12

Well same here and worst part is it fails to start again without pressing volume down & start button together or battery needs to be removed and reinserted, My is new phone and this is happening from day one
Please use plain text.
sabirafrin

I agree with heredot90, I had  no problems whatsoever in Lumia 820 for about a month or so. But since last two weeks Im facing this issue. Ive noticed that my phone had hung a couple of times and I had to remove the batteryt to resart the phone because other tips and tricks won't do. Other than this it had also turned off again a couple of times.

I really dont understand what the problem is all about. I never had such issues with my iPhone 3GS or 4, and never with samsung note. Then why with windows 8? Is it that theres no one from Nokia or Microsoft whos reading all these discussions. This issue i've read it since the phone was launched but till date it still continues with no definite information from either nokia or microsft on when they shall correct it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
raymondc

My NL710 resets itself while in a call, making a call, in fact at any time. Updated to WP7.8 and the reset problem still happens. Nokia & Microsoft are keeping mum on this
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

Sorry to hear that. Try to reset the device. Go to Settings>About>Reset. This will delete data from the phone. Contacts, Calendar entries and Store purchases details are saved on your Microsoft account. For media files, use Zune to copy or synchronise them to your PC. If this doesn't work, it is best to have it check in the Nokia Care for assessment.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
dutchstork

I'm having a problem with my Lumia 820 which I bought 2 weeks ago. After charging overnight, it won't start up as the phone is switched-off for some reason. I can't restart it by holding the power on/off button, but only by pressing the reset combination (on/off button together with volume low button). I have closed all the apps which run in background. The battery is 100% loaded and during the day the phone is working fine. I have checked for updates, but phone seemed to have latest firmware (8.0.10211.204). I can not afford to be not accessible, even during night hours when my phone is charging.

Any known solution for this problem ?

Please use plain text.
FinnJJ

I'm having the same problem here with Lumia 820 (OS version 8.0.10211.204) as dutchstork has.

When charging (normal wired charging) the phone over night with WLAN / WiFi turned ON (!), the phone always turns off by itself. In the morning the only way to turn the phone back on is to remove it's battery. Power button or soft reset does not work.

When WLAN / WiFi is turned OFF while charging over night, the phone stays on normally.

dutchstork: try using this as a workaround.

This is very annoying bug, but should be easily reproducible also by Nokia. Let me know in case you need more info about this in order to solve it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
noopur

its getting switched off itself even after nokia care have formated it and then also its again getting it switched off. what the hell?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aikonaikon

Indeed same thing here: new phone 6 weeks ago. 820.

Battery saver on 'max' and unpublished 'auto-off' feature happened.

Reducing the battery saving-ness made the problem mostly go away (once every 5 days or so),

but after the latest SW update, its back again. Every two hours, 'auto-off'. NOT AMUSED.

Only starts again after battery removal. Then brightness goes MAX and wont go LOW unless a few toggles.

I'm going to check if WIFI has an influence, i believe it has.

Quite sick of it. Dont want to carry a Faradays cage in my pocket, nor sleep in one.

Please use plain text.
nabirouf

I ordered this phone just 8 days back. Had a great experience with lumia 820 & windows 8 is awesome. Unfortunately this joy lasted for just 3 days. Now the phone automatially shuts every now and then. have to remove the battery often to make it work again. I am **bleep**. Dont know whether it is windows fault of hardware fault. Seems nokia is not bothered at all. Lot of people have been reporting this issue and nokia is still ignoring it. Whether there is any solution or not, i have decided to return it back and will switch to Galaxy S3 or IPhone---------Good bye Nokia-----------

Please use plain text.
Advisor
paulig

You should go an complain to Microsoft. Nokia doesn't do the OS.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ShodanIsAlive

@roma12: same issue here, from day one, when left in stand-by, it fails to switch on. I have to remove and replace the battery then turn it on.
How have you solved (if you have)?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
slamroe

Yep, same issue, I've been a windows phone supporter since windows phone 7 and I'm nearly over it. If it happens the moment a text message comes in, I see the message and then the phone restarts and the message is gone. C'MON NOKIA AND MICROSOFT - FIX IT!

Android is looking pretty good about now.

Please use plain text.