Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 822 SD Card corrupting

alex3m3ti8

Lumia 822 SD Card corrupting

I'm having an issue probably about twice a week with now with my 822.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, which I have Windows Phone 8 to store on a 64 GB microSD card in the Lumia 822.  When this problem occurs, the phone starts to slow down, and simple things like going to "Settings" or going to "Xbox Music" will stop working or not launch.  Sometimes the phone will freeze completely.

I have to pull the battery, pull out the SD Card, put it into a regular PC, which says that the SD Card is corrupt, and need to be scanned/fixed.  I run the check disk, it fixes the error, put it back into the phone, and it starts working again.

This happens probably about once every three days or so.  Anyone else experiencing this?  I am thinking of getting another microSD card just to see if it may be the card, but I don't think it's the card since I've been using the card for several months without any such incident.  The card model number, if it matters is the SanDisk Ultra® microSDXC™ UHS-I card for mobile devices 64 GB (Item Number SDSDQUA-064G)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
CasvalRemDeikun

Re: Lumia 822 SD Card corrupting

I am having similar issues to this.  When I plug my phone in to transfer files, the file transfer is extremely slow, and locks up frequently.  I had my phone plugged in overnight to transfer files, and it only transfered a small fraction in that span of time.  Then, when I tried cancelling because I needed to leave, the program locks up.  This is very frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

As this is Microsoft's first effort at supporting microSD upon Windows Phone 8 do wonder whether 32GB is really the limit here.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
CasvalRemDeikun

I don't think it is a size issue, I am running a 32 gb card.  I think it is the transfer program that is **bleep** here.  M$ and Nokia really need to get their acts together.  I never had this problem with my HTC Trophy and the Zune program.  Bring back the Zune program.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
drqls

Yeah, I think there is a glitch somewhere. My 64 GB Class 10 U-1 card freezes almost immediately whenever the data is being saved (small files fail immediately, large fail after the data is apparently copied...). Happens on a 32 GB class 4 card as well. On a 16 GB class 4 card, I am able to copy large and small files (music and video.)  The copy fails, and then it will take a long time to shut down, and windows needs to fix the card (nothing wrong, but it thinks there might be).

I am working with Nokia now to try to get a fix... If I can't do better than 32 gb total, I am considering the HTC device. The speakers are so much better, and the Nokia apps are pretty awesome (and the camera has been really quite nice)... I have been very happy with the device (other than the video and music solutions, that are still pretty weak...but they are functional enough...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Nowhere has it said on any Nokia Windows Phone 8 devices that it is compatible with 64GB microSDXC cards, it only states on the official specifications that 32GB is the maximum supported capacity. 64GB may or may not work, but judging by the number of posts on this on the forums here, it is not misleading advice by Nokia at all.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
drqls

Actually the specs here: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/phone/lumia822/specifications/ state 64 GB max. It doesn't specify what type of 64 GB card, but tech support told me that it should be supported.  The real question is what are the min and max specs for the card (speed rating, style, etc) that work (and work best) with the phone.

Louis

Please use plain text.
alex3m3ti8

Great find!  Yes!  Am going to order another SD card just to try it out, even though it looks like a few others have done it as well. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sigman

For what it's worth, I've had the same problem.  I have a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 card and a Lumia 820.  For me this happens after downloading lots of music onto the card from the cloud.  The workaround thankfully works consistently, however it's extremely frustrating.  What's more, the phone seems less reponsive with the card partially full; clicking on something in the music app (or hitting back etc) is a more laggy experience than it used to be. 

I called Nokia about the problem and they said that they had never heard of the issue, though I'm not sure if the guy I spoke to is the authority here.  They said they'd call me back after they had tried to reproduce the issue, however haven't received anything yet.  I'll let the thread know if I get any more information.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zora

Windows Phone 8 formats the sd card to FAT32 unfortunately NTFS is not supported. SD cards 32GB or larger needs to be formatted with exFAT. I had the same issues with freezing with a 32GB card until I formatted it to exFAT so far issues been resolved. I hate to say it FAT32 needs to die limitations on FAT32 Max volume size is 32GB and Max file size is 4GB while exFAT will support a recommended Max size 512TB and Max file size 16EB. Hope this solves some issues.

Please use plain text.
Mike_Placentia

I am having the exact same problems.   San Disk 64 gig class 10 micro SD card.    Very frustrating and very disappointed. I was using about  25% of the 64gig capacity when the phone would not recognize the SD card.   My first symptom is that the phone  couldn't take a picture anymore.  Spent about 20 minutes before discovering that the SD card was not recognized.  However, nothing wrong with the card.  Put it in a PC and got a warning that the file system was corrupted.  Windows 7 fixed it, and all files were readable. Then worked just fine in the phone for a few days.  Then the cycle repeats itself.     I want winphone 8 to succeed.  This problem needs to be fixed.  I have since downgraded a few days ago to the a 32 gig micro SD card.   Now dealing with the frustrating stupid security stuff for songs that I already downloaded.  Looks like copying all of sub-directories succeeds, but then the licensing takes over and all music is messed up.  Now I need to start from scratch, again.   I'll need to reformat the downsized 32 gig card and start over and download every album and song all over again.  Already been through the frustration of using the "Beta" Winphone music synchronization that does not work either. ( an acknowledged issue for the old name zune music pass and new name Xbox music pass members ).   Please guys, You are the experts.  Fix your **bleep** phone and software and music pass security so that it is user friendly. I liked the old ZUNE synchronization method a lot better.   If the same problems occur with the 32 gig card,  I'll have no choice then to return my Win Phone and move over to the dark side,  ( Apple I-Phone. ).  I have been a loyal user for the Win phone 7 Trophy when it came out.  I am doing my best to be a loyal Win Phone 8 customer.  Please Please fix this.  :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zora

The biggest problem is with the filesystem being FAT32. I wish and hope Microsoft will enable NTFS support, this would eliminate most of the filesystem corruption and the issues with large volumes and file sizes. Formatting the SD card on the PC from FAT32 to exFAT has eliminated the problems with camera and file transfer freezes, but is still able to sucumb to filesystem corruption as easy because of no journaling support. So far so good on no filesystem corruption since the conversion to exFAT.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zora

Zune was and is far superior to the Windows Phone Sync. What audio files the program wants to convert ends up locking up the program. Also just personal opinion the Zune name was a better brand name.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DronNord

Have similar problem when inserting a micro sd card. 

It would see the SanDisk 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 card but
would not let me see the photos I took unless I took the
card out and put it in my pc.  
Also, when the card was inserted in the 822 it would turn
 off the sound and not let me see anything stored on phone.  
Got tired of screwing with it for now and just took out the
micro sd card and it works fine.  
Will try a different card later and see what happens.  
Sounds like a hard reset is the only answer.  

Next Day:

Ok, so I did a hard reset and put in my SanDisk 32 GB microSDHC Class 10
and so far it is working and seeing music & photos on the card and the phone storage.  
I did format with exFat and did not format with phone.  
Only told the phone to store music and photos on card.  
Will let yall know down the road what happens.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sigman

Since there's been some conversation on this thread about the format of the card, my card is not NTFS but is exFAT, and I was (am still) running into the problem, so the problem isn't related to NTFS vs FAT (though I haven't tried with NTFS, perhaps it manifests itself differently on a NTFS-formatted card). 

What's even worse recently: after one of the hard reboots and card repairs, I got into a state where it tells me each time I want to play a song that it's "unable to confirm media usage rights for this content".  If someone knows a workaround so I don't have to download all of my songs again, I'd be very grateful.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zora

There's still glitches, but I noticed its when the phone tries to write data to the sdcard. I dont seem to have read issues. Wonder if this just pertains to Nokia or if other Windows Phone 8 devices thats sdcard capable have the same problem. Hope M$ and Nokia is able to work together to fix the problem. So the workaround which is a pain is to save photos to the phone and any music/video changes are needed, just pull the sdcard from the phone and plug into the computer and do the transfer manually. There will be a problem eventually the back will not stay on do to pulling it off all the time. Wish the sdcard slot was on the outside of the phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
random404

[ Edited ]

I am a lumia 822 owner and I had the same problem with my 64 gigabyte sandisk card as well.  Anything that accessed the card would not run properly (camera, music, podcasts, photos). Even after a reboot it would either not recognize the card or the apps would eventually freeze again.  I returned the sdxc card and got another one and had the same problem.  Switching to a 16 gig card has worked well and I have not had any issues, but want to use the higher capacity card.  Hopefully nokia will look into this and can provide a software fix.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Assassin11B3P

Friends, I too have unfortunately suffered from this **bleep**. I have gone through 3 phones and 2 cards and the issue persists. What's strange is that I believe I used the SD card to record video on a riverboat trip back in December; I took several videos and everything was just fine. But when Christmas came along, all of the video that I shot were ruined by the massive stuttering, with gaps of several seconds throughout. When you have young children as I do, and you're recording them opening their presents only to have this happen, well, let's just say that it is very uncool.

I returned my card (bought from 3C Expert via NewEgg.com), and got a new one. When it got in last night (12 Jan 2012), I put it in and the next morning I shoot a series of short 20-second videos. I sat in an office chair, held the phone very still about head-high, and spun the chair around so that I did a 360 in about 20 seconds. I did 4 or 5 like that, all with default camera settings and some with the lamp on, and every single one of them were more corrupt than a DC politician.

I read somewhere that the card should be in exFAT, so I removed the card from the phone, put it in the card reader, and clicked to format it. The file system was already reported as being in exFAT, so I decided to see what would happen if I choose NTFS. After the format was done, I put the card back in the phone and turned it on. Immediately, the phone began protesting that the card FS was wrong and that I would have to reformat it, so I did (via the phone).

After that was done, I did another 20-second video and the issues were still there.

I agree with the user who said this is ridiculous and that we want WP8 to succeed, but right now, I am VERY SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING MOVING TO (YUCK), THE IPHONE.

Not only that, but the Win8 app for WP8 SUCKS! When transferring music from the PC to the phone, none of the album art went with it! Using Windows Explorer for the phone is also a joke, as it's incredibly slow, buggy, and unreliable. I couldn't even delete the old music folders because it reported that the phone was disconnected! Now how is that possible when I am browsing it via Windows?!?!

The only way to reliably transfer music is to use Windows Media Player. It's very fast, easy, and the artist art and 4-1-1 go along with it.

You know, Verizon is probably open right now. I might just head on over there this morning.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ZBear

Hi,

My wife and I have 3 week old Lumia 822s from Verizon.  We have been Zune subscribers since the beginning, and I continune to use my Zune 120GB but bought into the Lumia 822 thinking the Zune would quit eventually (been working for many many years). 

We are having all the issues with phone lockups and SD card corruption reported here.  I have a 64 GB Sandisk Extreme; my wife has a class 10 PNY 32 GB - both have the same issues.  My phone will freeze when attempting to download an album (using Wi-Fi) from the XBM store.  I can get back to the main menu and perform non-music functions, but cannot do a clean shutdown of the phone.  I pull the battery, then put the SD card in the computer for its "repair", then restart.  Like many others, I've also found that using drag-and-drop to copy files (non-DRM) to a USB-connected phone leads to multiple copies of the files appearing in the music and photo lists.  This leads me to think it is a WP8 OS problem, although Microsoft seems to be able handle SD cards plugged into desktop computers.  I bought this phone specifically because of the expandable memory and I expect that feature to be useable. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zora

I believe that the sd card problem is messing up the audio on the phone. Been having issues with having no audio with sd card inserted. Thinking that the NT platform on a phone was a mistake and should have kept CE. Never had an issue with WP7. Canoical has anounced an Ubuntu Phone wished I would have waited, but I would have perfered RedHat doing a phone instead. Once again Steve Ballmer has failed.

Please use plain text.