Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 822 wireless charging: really misleading...

Contributor
bigboy29

Lumia 822 wireless charging: really misleading, Nokia! :(

Quite annoyed by this:

If you look under Lumia 822 specifications, they say this:

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/phone/lumia822/specifications/

(Under Hardware):

Wireless connectivity

• Bluetooth 3.0
  • Near Field Communication
  • Wi-Fi Channel bonding
  • WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • Qi Wireless charging

However, as it turns out, 822 also requires a wireless charging shell? For the 820, at least you see that as a listed option under Accessories, but for the 822, it is not there?

I dunno - seems wrong to me; why not have a "*" is there is a footnote needed that wireless charging shell is needed? I guess I'll keep the dual wireless charger I bought for the future with the hope that shells will become available and will not cost too much?

:smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
weinberd24

Re: Lumia 822 wireless charging: really misleading, Nokia! :(

I ran into the same problem.  I'm returning my DT-900 nokia charging plate because this is absurd.  No retailer or nokia support is able to tell me when or where 822 shells will be released.  It's not worth it.  Very poor move on their part.  Misleading indeed!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BlackDog10

I am annoyed by wireless providers in general... and had been waiting for a phone like this to be released.  Admittedly, I seem to remember seeing the phrase 'optional wireless charging' but wasn't sure how it worked.  I will likely make the investment in the special back plate and charging pad for this phone since I plan to keep it for quite a while and because I can't tell you how many phones I have had where the connector just doesn't last :smileyindifferent: 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I agree that there is an error on the Nokia website linked to in the first post. But on the Nokia Developer website there is a footnote explaining the need for a charging shell

Power Management

Qi Wireless Charging[1]

Notes1 With a wireless charging shell.

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/Lumia_822/

Please use plain text.
Contributor
primortal

Thats nice that info is on the developers webiste, but does the average user visit the developer's site for information about wireless charging?

A 2 second edit to add a line after wireless charging, "requires an additional back cover that support wireless charging" and this problem would go away instead both Nokia and VZW remain tight-lipped.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jplinville

I just got off the phone with store personel and was told that Nokia has a special charging base that works with their phones, as well as other makers.  However, the charger they sold me, the generic Verizon/Belkin charging mat doesn't work with this phone. 

They are ordering the proper charging mat for me and I should have it delivered by Tuesday.

The Nokia Lumia 822 will not charge with any other charging mats other than a Nokia mat...they are coming from the stores with the proper back shells.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
weinberd24

I hate to be the one to tell you, but the shell that comes on the 822 is not the proper shell.  I tried using the nokia charging plate with it.  The 822 is only equipped for NFC sharing as is, not NFC charging.  Hence, unless they release a shell with the contact point that allows for NFC to be used to charge via the charging plate/mat, you can only use it to transfer info or share files.  Nokia tech support you need to purchase the charging shell for the phone, but of course...they don't have any info on that shell actually existing.  They basically ripped off everyone who bought a charging plate with the 822 knowing that no one could charge wirelessly until they release the proper shell in the future.

Please use plain text.
tadb

[ Edited ]

Purchased the Lumia 822 in a Verizon store.  None of the staff knew anything about the wireless charging.  We tested my new 822 with the wireless charging pad on display in the store and found that it did not work.  The instore display for the Nokia wireless charger did have a small footnote that says the 822 requires a backing plate that is not inclued.

The big question is where/when can I get a wireless charging back plate for the Lumia 822?

I've been searching the web for any indication that such a backing plate exists or will exist and have not been able to find one.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
slavrenz

[ Edited ]

@Weinberd - Wireless charging does not use NFC - it has to do with inducing voltage in a coil embedded in the 822 shell from a powered coil in the charging pad. The frequency of the voltage is controlled by the Qi charging standard. I'm not saying that the charging shells are working, but it's not because of lack of NFC charging - there is no such thing.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
weinberd24

@slaverenz-     read the user guide: http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/pdf_guides/devices/822/Nokia_Lumia_822_UG_en.pdf

Page 16.

In order to charge wirelessly, NFC must be enabled.  I talked to Nokia support on the phone.  NFC is necessary to connect the phone to the secondary device, whether it be a charging plate or headset, etc.  When one goes to the settings and turns on NFC, only NFC sharing is enabled.  When the shell that has not been released becomes available, it contains an NFC contact point (square) that must touch with another device to activate (the center of the charging plate for example.  The phone does not charge via NFC, but connects wirelessly to the charging plate through it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
primortal

Wireless charging backs are available on VZW site for a whopping $40, http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=13448&accesso...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
freeAgent

It looks like the back case is now on sale for "only" $30.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
822Patel

Ridiculous. Just returned the plate at Verizon. Apparently nobody knew this there or at the Microsoft store.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
822Patel

.....and if you buy the $30 plate for wireless charging the NFC function stops working. Sell all shares of Nokia. They blew their last chance. UGH!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jana8899

not true, the wireless charging plate also has NFC support.

Please use plain text.