Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 900 - Bypassing Zune?

Advisor
118strike
Accepted Solution

Lumia 900 - Bypassing Zune?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if we can bypass Zune?

I don't want to have to use this program when I connect my phone to my laptop to transfer files... that program is awful. and I have kept hold of my Nokia N8 because it has all of my files on it, but in order to put these files from a device like my external hard drive I have to copy it to my laptop first in irder for Zune to take notice of it.

I am used to transfering data on my N8 at least twice a week, now with the 900 I can't even bare to plug it in lol.

Thanks in advance.

Strike

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ProfJulie

[ Edited ]

The only way to transfer or sync media (music, photos, and videos) to a windows phone is via the Zune desktop software.  And the only way to install updates on windows phone is by connecting it to a computer and running the Zune software. You cannot bypass the Zune desktop software. 

If you have music and other media files stored on an external drive, you don't have to move the files onto your computer's hard drive.  You'll need to make sure the drive letter for your external drive is static and doesn't change, but then all you need to do is identify the path and folder where these files are stored by opening up the Zune deskto software, selecting Settings > Software > Collections > select the Add Folder button on in the Music or Videos section (under Monitored folders) and then you can identify the path where the files are stored.

Documents (that are not media files) are transferred or synced to a windows phone by 1) first uploading the documents to the cloud (SkyDrive, Sugar Sync, Dropbox) and then downloading the file to a windows phone (SkyDrive works very well since syncing is integrated into the windows phone OS); OR 2) by emailing the documents to an email account that you've set up on the phone; OR 3) by using a third party application, like PC File Download, or ShareFolder or Tonido or Tappin (and there are plenty of other similar apps in the Marketplace) - these apps rely on an network connection and a small computer client to transfer files between a windows phone and a computer.

Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Please use plain text.
Advisor
118strike

Thank you for your time in replying ProfJulie,

It was very helpful and very easy to understand everything you had written.

I have been able to locate my media files from my hard drive now, I am thinking maybe I had never clicked the ok settings after locating the hard drive - Doh!

I have give Kudos points for your help,

Thank you again.

Please use plain text.
Lou_louke

Hello Prof Julie, I am about to throw out my Lumia 800 and my laptop. I took lovely pictures when we were in France and I just can not get them on my PC. The phone is syncing with Facebook and doing all kinds of stuff, but the only thing I want is my pictures...is there a guide that tells me step by step what to do? The ones I find all concern music and video's and going from PC to phone. I need it the other way around. Thank you
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

In Zune with phone connected select PHONE then pictures 

Select the ones you want to get to your PC and rightclick-select the option to copy to PC

You can also change sync settings in settings.

I can't say why this would not work for you as it's fairly straight forward. Alternatively you can use the app Camera Roll Sync to sync full resolution photos from the phone to the SkyDrive attached to your Microsoft account 

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Lou_louke

Thank you for your message.

I indeed get to the phone, and I select a picture, I click right and I get the option to copy to the "collection" or to delete the picture. I chose "copy to collection" and it does something I presume, but  I can not find it back in Zune nor on the computer manually...it is very frustrating...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
garym114

No, you don't have to use the Zune sync software.

When you connect it to the PC with the USB cable the phone shows up in Windows explorer . The pictures are in their folder. Copy and paste where you want.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

garym114 wrote:

No, you don't have to use the Zune sync software.

That is true for Windows Phone 8 devices, not for the Lumia 900 which runs WP 7.x

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Lou_louke wrote:

Thank you for your message.

I indeed get to the phone, and I select a picture, 

Normally the regular save location for images will be used. Unless changes this will bet C:\users\[your login name]\My Pictures\[phone name]

---

Please use plain text.