Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 900 Camera Issues

Registered Member
facusse

Lumia 900 Camera Issues

Great phone amazing build quality and Nokia apps are awesome, but the camera quality sucks! The hardware specs seem to be there so I'm hoping it's just a software issue that can be easily updated and fixed.

Please NOKIA fix the camera!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Lumia 900 Camera Issues

Have you checked the camera settings? On the other Lumia's for some odd reason the camera's focus mode is set to macro by default.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

Hey Facusse, Welcome to the Nokia Forums!

What specific problems are you experiencing with the camera?

Please be sure that the protective plastic has been removed infront of the lense and that no other transparent materials/covers are covering the lense.

Could you please post a photo to help us diagnose the issue, so that we can get a more accurate understanding of your problem.

Looking forward to a reply!

Sheldrick

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
volvoshine

I think I know the issues the OP is having.. I love my 900 but the camera has some serious Focus and White balance issues.

Take these two photos for example

When tried to take a picture of some flowers on a tree I couldn't for the life of me.. Get the camera to focus on them or get the correct white balance. I even tried playing with every setting I could find, still no luck.

2nd problem

I'm not sure why.. But the 900's camera does not use the flash when focusing the photo in low light...So it simply can't take clear photos in anything less then PERFECT light.

If you could fix those two problems.. This phone would PERFECT!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Eduardohers

I have the same problem , white Balance is way off , white is blue all the time , focus is of too.

Hope they fix it. But white balance is a joke.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Same here, pictures tend to be on the blue side, lots of noise in average lighting

Please use plain text.
volvoshine

Just to give you a better idea..

Both of these photos are from the Lumia 900

Top one is from the stock photo app.. Bottom one is from "Fhotoroom" "Pro Camera"

Tried for about 5 mins to get the stock app to focus on the Mouse... It would not do it!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I just purchased this phone this week and wanted to share following tip if someone has not already passed it along.  Instead of pressing the camera button on the side of the phone to take the picture which may move the phone a little and cause the blur, simply take your index figer and touch the screen on the object where you want the camera to focus on.  Th picture will be taken almost immediately and the phone will not be moved in anyway.

Perhaps that will help.

DaveG

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

That's a good tip, I use it to focus in on an area, unfortunately it doesn't help with the blueish look on low to average lighting pictures. Lots of nice and dark turns to blue. You don't even have to take a picture, shows up in the "viewfinder" like preview before you snap the picture.

I always heard Nokia phones had amazing camera's. I hope this is a software issue and not a physical one! If you search the reviews, people love the phone but camera seems to be the biggest compliant.

Here are some examples taken indoors. Pictures 1 and 2 taken without flash, picture 3 taken with flash.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dtboos

Having similar issues.  Hoping Nokia can release a fix for the Focus & White balance issues that seem to be less than desireable.  As it stands, the camera is the [only] thing that isn't outstanding on the phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
oldgreygeek

looks to me that picture 1 and picture 2 were taking in very low light. AutoISO, F2.2 (wide-open-aperture), and 1/13 of a sec exposure. Only God knows what ISO the camera tried to set, likely over 800. So resulting image sucks, lots of noise due to high ISO, and slow shutter speed, and bluish cast because there was not enough light to set the white balance. This is a smartphone not a Nikon d800. I can't tell to much more from these samples at all.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
oldgreygeek

In response to a few previous posts.

1) My Word.  The AT&T Salesman prepped my 900 and put in into a nice $35 'POP! Case':  Problem is he DID in Fact forget to remove the plastic cover over the lens.  And now that the thing is in the case it was just about impossible to determine that the lens was covered by anything.  Resolved, after some anxiety with the camera.

2) Yes the auto-white balance needs a software update.  It is much too WARM (Blue-ish), in almost all images.  Indoors with incandescent light it is worse than outdoors, never-the-less needs some to take a good look at the software. 

3) yes the shutter button approach for a device this large will lend itself to some movement and a blurry result.  Especially if your an old guy that is shaky anyway.  So the touch and take procedure may be best for all but the steady.

I will shoot outdoors tomorrow, assuming the weather permits one to go outside, and update my dribble.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
alekdavis

Agree with most posters: love the phone in almost every aspect, except the camera. Photo quality is really subpar, even in the daylight conditions. Lots of noise, white balance is off, etc. As someone mentioned, tapping the screen instead of using the physical button somewhat helps, but still, results are far from good. My daughter has an iPhone 4 (not 4s), and when we compare shots of the same subject (under the same conditions), iPhone 4 puts Lumia 900 to shame.

If Lumia 900 is to be a viable alternative to iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy II, Nokia needs to fix the camera issues. Seriously, from my (i.e. consumer's) perspective, it's just another phone. If the camera problems do not get fixed, I'll complain and move on. But since I'm not alone, the more people complain, the worse the outcome for Nokia will be. Nokia simply cannot afford to get this wrong and if camera issues will not be solved (supposedly via a software update), I'm afraid it will be over for Nokia (have someone checked the stock lately?), and this would be a shame. Nokia, please take this seriously and help us help you.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
phubai

I'm hoping this gets ironed out. I can't say I too have this problem as I just ordered the phone a few minutes ago, but one of the main reasons I purchased this phone was the camera. I currently have an iPhone 4 not a 4s, and I was convinced the 900 would be an improvement for me even if it didn't reach 4s levels. I see a lot of noise in several of the photos that have been posted which causes me to suspect an ISO setting is wrong or the sensor. I'm looking forward to playing with that when I get it anyway and I will post my findings and results. Not that I'm an expert mind you, but I'm stubborn! I'm also hoping this phone is a huge success and will provide some competition, in a sane manner.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MrMetalist

Best phone I've ever owned and that's including latest Android and iOS devices. One issue is camera. Focus and White balance need to be fixed. Please fix it!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
oldgreygeek

ok, to update my findings or complaints regarding the camera.

1) Obviously, make sure the lens is not covered with anything.  like grease, plastic or whatever.

2) there does seem to be a problem with the autoISO, and ISO in general.

a) If you attempt to manually set the ISO to something other than AUTO is seems to switch back to AUTO. 

not good!

3)  the jpg compression algorythm is way to high. it is set to compress the files about 90%.  Yes, I know it is to reduce storage space and data transfer bits.  BUT.  What you get is compression artifacts, these things appear to be noise to some but are due to the extremely high compression.  Kodak P&S camers were/are notorious for this.  If (Nokia, MS) or whomever likes the high compression rate then at least give the users an option for (Normal, Fine) so that if you choose Fine you get a compression of say 40% or XTRA Fine and 20% this would make the resulting images one heck of a lot cleaner and perhaps even better than the iphone.

4) noise, actually isn't all that bad for a wee little sensor.  The noise removal algo seems to either not exist or is set very low., which isn't all that bad for me because I would rather do noise removal in either CS5 or PSPx4, the noise does clean up rather nicely using NIK define 2.  But could be done a bit better in the software within the device.

5) color balance is a bit warm.  in low light it has a real problem when in Auto mode., needs some work.

Video and the front camera during video calls works great, And seems to be (Tango) better than skype on the Iphone4s or at least equal to the Ipad2.

Just for the heck of it I am attaching four photos taking inside the house with natural lighting from the windows the first is the raw image downloaded from the camera, the second is one processed in PaintShopProX4 - jpeg artifact removal, define (noise removal) and focusmagic set to 1 to tighten the focus a tad.

If the rain ever stops, I'll do more testing outdoors.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
alekdavis

Here is another problem (at least, it seems to be a problem). As someone mentioned, when using the physical shutter button, with the phone being relatively big, it's next to impossible to keep it still, causing blurry photos. Results seem to be better when tapping on the screen, but then you will experience a delay, because the camera first sets focus (on the area you're tapping), and then makes the shot. Not a problem when potographing still objects, but big issue when trying to shoot people. You know how hard it is to capture the right moment (especially when kids are involved), so an extra second or so delay (used to set focus and make a shot) would guarantee a miss. Or am I not doing it right? Is there a way to set focus in advance before making an actrual shot when tapping on the screen?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kayb27

I was at a wedding recently and was using my new Lumia 900 to take some pictures. When I compared the same basic pictures with someone who was using an iPhone 4S, I could not help but wonder why if both phones had 8mp sensors, and the Lumia has better optics, the image quality on the iPhone was far better. It must be a software issue and judging by the sound of this forum, I am correct and my assumption. Nokia, please work on these issues. I know you are capable of far better results with camera performance (i.e. Nokia N8 and Nokia 808 PureView).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
neile35c

I pre ordered my lumia 900 over the weekend its due to arrive in the Uk 27 of this month.I currently use a c7 and have seen loads of pics taken with iphone 4 my c7 has always out performed the iphone pics in the way of light handling .I;m now seriously worried and may have to cancel my order if tjis problem is not fixed soon .I expect the camera to perform the same if not betterthan my c7.Come on Nokia get this fixed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
alekdavis

[ Edited ]
Please use plain text.