Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 900 Camera Issues

Advisor
alekdavis

Injteresting: some people report much better results when using 3rd party camera apps: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1605444. The difference is stunning.

Please use plain text.
NokRu

[ Edited ]

Same here... White balance issue.. I hope Nokia will fix it with the software patch. Titan (even 1) has better results..

Other than that it's a winner!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ceron

[ Edited ]

as a lumia 800 user myself i can confirm these issues.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
neile35c

[ Edited ]

as i said in my early post ive pre ordered my 900 and now i'm regretting it.the 800been out for a while now with the same issues and still its not been fixed.nokia have no right to release a phone that has so many poor operating issues.if this phone arrives with these faults then i'm sorry nokia the phone will be going back.and its galaxy s2 for me.

Moderators note: Speculative remark removed. Under the forum guidelines these are not allowed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Chrishd32

I'm sorry Nokia but I was a big fan of your products ever since I first purshased the N95 but I'm sad to see that the N95 was a much more capable camera phone than the Lumia 900. I recently went on a dinner party and decided to take pictures using my Lumia 900. The restaurant was well luminated but yet the pictures came out looking like garbage. I love everything about the Lumia 900 except for its camera. I am hoping this is just a software issue because if not I'm simply going to say goodbye to Nokia once and for all. My last Nokia device was the N900 Meego device which I was happy and content with until the OS was sent to the gutters. Nokia please listen to your fans before you lose them all by the likes of Android and Apple.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
oldgreygeek

A Followup on the 'Camera"

1) it is not the best low light camera (sensor) available.  But does well when there is light (no surprise).

2) The Camera (sensor) is not the shapest tack in the box.  No matter how I brace the camera images are not very sharp.

3) Best to take the shot using the touch-the-screen method, you will be less likely to move the device.

4) Best to set the ISO to either 100 or 200 not Auto.  Set the Exposure to either +.5 or +1 and then 'save the settings' Auto will pick iso 400 and 800 and give noisy results.  The problem with this is in low light you will get longer exposures thus more prone to shaking, resulting in Blurriness.  So. Ya all be careful, hear!

5) Very good results using 'sophie cam'  or in the camera app itself use "auto-fix" to improve the exposure and saturation. 'Creative Studio' and 'Photo Editor' apps work great and I highly recommend them.  They are all Free.

summary: Keep the camera (the phone) steady, use iso 200, Exposure index +.5 and you will get more keepers as they say. 

Oh, and please don't expect the wee little led flash to work more than a few feet away, on any of these smartphones.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
alekdavis

[ Edited ]

According to this forum, there may be hope: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-900-Various-Issues/m-p/1384563...

Moderator's note: changed link to original source

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rloonia

The camera is one of the worst i have seen on a high end smart phone.. The camera button doesnt work as expected by a windows phone. I have got this replaced once due to outlook syncing issue and i might return the phone if Nokia doesnt feel like resolving the issues. Its very disappointing coming from Nokia .. i have had nokia phones which took better pics with a 3 mPixel shooter

:smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
oldgreygeek

Actually the camera is not all that bad.  iT JUST NEEDS TO BE SET UP PROPERLY.  As an example.  The same scene taken @iso=200 ev +.5 in auto mode vs Landscape scene mode.  the landscape mode shot the scene with perfect white balance and did a better job of focusing than the finger to the screen method.  In fact all of the scene modes do very well.  Seems there needs to be a few software adjustments here.  So use the scene modes, set the iso to 200 ev to +.5 and you will be good to go.  The attachments: 66, and 69 were taken: Landscape scene mode, iso 200, ev+.5 :  The Orchid was shot in auto mode; iso=200; ev +.5 with flash.

Please use plain text.
JimmyFal

This needs to be one of those threads that goes for MILES. I have to believe that Nokia put this phone out with the camera issue fully realizing that there was a problem. I can forgive the problem as long as a fix is on the way. So let me add my name to the list.

It's not about settings, it's not about anything other than something is definately wrong here, and they know exactly what we are talking about. It would be useless to try and identify this issue or that issue. I am very competent with cameras and I know enough to use autofix and spot focus to take really good pics. But the average user might come away dissapointed in low light conditions.

Nokia, FIX THE CAMERA, FIX THE CAMERA, FIX THE CAMERA.

Zeiss should be embarrassed to have his name on this as it stands. I am fully expecting a software fix. BEFORE SUMMER.

Other than that, I can't stop loving this phone. I had an HTC Titan that has a fantastic camera, and I am keeping my Lumia in spite of the hopefully temporarily inferior camera.

Thanks for letting me vent. I speak for myself and many others that I have talked into buying this phone.

JF

Please use plain text.
Paddler900

This is what prompted me to seek out an answer.  Direct comparison to Iphone 4S same scene.  My photos where very dark.  

It almost seemed like the shutter wasn't opening in tandem with the flash firing.

Otherwise, the rest of this thread and comparison to photos using a 3rd party camera app (Fhotoroom) tells me clearly Nokia has a software issue.  Here's hoping they react quickly.

Please use plain text.
finalfrontier

Guys maybe its just me but I think your expecting too much from this camera. You have to remember that its a phone first and a camera second so the quality of the images is never going to be as good as something like a dslr. Although I dont have this phone yet since I only ordered it this morning I would imagine that you could download some 3rd party software for your pc to edit the pictures so you can improve the quality a bit.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jasonteh

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ceron

As a lumia 800 user i too have these problems

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Xtianus

whoa check out this video @ 25 seconds... 

I posted a response to www.wmpoweruser.com when I saw that the same lighting issues are on this phone as well.  

Here is the youtube.  

http://youtu.be/xGDyxYsiRE4 <<< the same thing happens when he takes a video.... The screen gets darker and horrible pictures result.  

Here is the WMPowerUser article.  

http://wmpoweruser.com/att-mobile-minute-does-the-nokia-lumia-920/

Please use plain text.