Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network Pofil...

Sage
Shoey5

Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network Pofile App)

I have an unlocked (By Rogers Canada) Lumia 900 that I purchased outright as I travel a lot and it's nice to be able to insert a SIM card locally to the location I'm currently in. I'm using it mainly on Fido (Rogers owned carrier). Everything works great except MMS.

I know for whatever strange reason WP7 doesn't have a Settings option to manually configure MMS settings. I read that Nokia had released a Network Profile App but I don't see it in the Lumia section of the Market. Read a couple of comments on the web that the app was removed. Why was it removed? This is something that should have been preinstalled!

Is Nokia releasing a Network Profile App for the Lumia 900?

Also read frustration from some people who indicated that the app has to have the provider listed to configure the MMS Settings.

It's really easy, all you need is an MMS Configuration app that allows a user to manually enter their own carrier settings!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network Pofile App)

I have a Lumia 800 but I presume the 900 uses the same app. The app is actually called the Network Setup app. It was removed for a while but has since been re-released. Try searching Marketplace for Network Setup rather than Network Profile. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

I have a Lumia 800 but I presume the 900 uses the same app. The app is actually called the Network Setup app. It was removed for a while but has since been re-released. Try searching Marketplace for Network Setup rather than Network Profile. 

Thanks for responding cjlim. I searched but it's not there. I guess it's not available in the Candian or US marketplaces. Nokia please make something available in Canada and US Markets.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

As far as I know, the Lumia is supposed to retrieve mms settings from the first sim card inserted. Network Setup app is required for subsequent sims. Did you by any chance use a sim from another network? However, there is an alternative way which worked for me a long time ago before the network setup app was released, and it was to reset the phone to fool it into thinking the sim inserted is the first. Don't know if it still works and it will require backing up and restoring data afterwards. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

cjlim wrote:

As far as I know, the Lumia is supposed to retrieve mms settings from the first sim card inserted. Network Setup app is required for subsequent sims.

I don't know where that supersition started from but I've used 3 unlocked WP7 devices, two were Carrier unlocked and one was manufacture unlocked, none of them pick up MMS settings on the first boot or after a hard boot, you name it.

The only way to address it is to have an option to configure the MMS Settings. A friend has a Lumia 800 and if he access the Diagnostic program he has full access to configure APN/MMS settings. Lumia 900 Diagnostic doesn't have this option :smileysad:

I hope someone from Nokia is reading this and releases an MMS Settings configuration tool for the Lumia 900.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Any word on getting the Nokia Lumia 900 access to the Network Setup App in the Canadian and US markets?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jack11

[ Edited ]

The app is actually called the Network Setup app. It was removed for a while but has since been re-released. Try searching Marketplace for Network Setup rather than Network Profile.

Moderators note: removed broken imagelink

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

jack11 wrote:

The app is actually called the Network Setup app. It was removed for a while but has since been re-released. Try searching Marketplace for Network Setup rather than Network Profile.

I check everytime I open the market :smileyhappy:

It's not there, not sure what area you are in and if you see it on your Lumia 900 but I don't see it in the Canadian Market, don't think Nokia has it published in that market

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

We are currently looking into this. I will let you know what the status of the app is as soon as I can.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
brettschulte

Making me crazy too. The only thing I can't do is MMS!
Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Let's give Kosh a chance to find out. It's nice that he acknowledged it and is looking into it. Looking forward to hearing the good news....
Please use plain text.
Advisor
moc426

I think plenty of time has passed for a response to this. Can we get some answers?

Is Nokia going to release the application again?

If so, any expected release date?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

I tend to agree, Kosh or someone at Nokia, did you find out why there is no Network Setup App showing for the Lumia 900 in the US/Canada markets?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
helaker

Don't mean to be rude, but this is getting ridiculous. How does Nokia expect to make any credible return to prominence in the smart phone market if we can't even do something as elementary as editing MMS settings??? No other ecosystem or hardware maker has this problem. Ridiculous. This is a deal breaker thats making me consider returning my Lumia 900. 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

I am sorry I have not been able to get an answer for you yet. I have again raised this with our team and hope to hear something shortly. I hope you will trust me when I say I am doing what I can to get this sorted and will be on top of this for now..

Thanks for your patience, here's hoping it can be extended a bit longer!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jarvos

there is a settings app used by dialing ##3282# that might help you. I am not tech enough to use it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

jarvos wrote:

there is a settings app used by dialing ##3282# that might help you. I am not tech enough to use it.

That doesn't contain MMS Configuration section. Also PEOPLE SHOULD BE AWARE. While that gives you mostly (Diagnostic Type Info) on the network, there are a few options that will/may change NVRAM and can F-UP your phone......

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback and reports on this.

Lumia 900 models which are currently available in the US and CAN region either come with MMS settings pre-installed or should get these from the SIM when going through the Device First Usage (DFU) procedure. For this reason the Network Setup app is not available in these regions for the Lumia 900.

If you start a Windows Phone for the first time without the SIM it will not read settings for MMS when inserted afterwards and you will have to reset and go through DFU for it to read the proper settings from the SIM. 

If one of the following is the case for you you will have to reset your Lumia 900 with the SIM inserted and go through the DFU procedure;

1. You did not have the SIM inserted when you first turned the Lumia 900 on.

2. You have reset the Lumia 900 without the SIM inserted.

I hope this helps,

Kosh

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Kosh wrote:
Lumia 900 models which are currently available in the US and CAN region either come with MMS settings pre-installed or should get these from the SIM when going through the Device First Usage (DFU) procedure. For this reason the Network Setup app is not available in these regions for the Lumia 900.

Kosh here is OUR problem with this and you need to go back to the people who gave you this information and inform them of this so they understand.

There are two carriers that carry the Lumia 900 in North America, AT&T in the US and Rogers in Canada. Both carry the handset branded to their respective company and while each company likes to "lock" users into contracts to subsidize handsets, both of these companies allow users to purchase the Lumia 900 outright. As long as one is not in a contract to subsidize the handset, both (AT&T and ROGERS) CAN AND WILL provide their customer with an UNLOCK code. This is something they started doing recently, probably to keep the respective regulatory bodies in each country from forcing new policies on them. Whatever the reason, people like myself who purchased the handset outright and RECEIVED an unlock code do so because we want ot own the handset. We may travel and purchase sim cards in the countries we travel too. We may have multiple services and have the option of using the handset with any of those services or we may simply (as much as the carrier hates it) opt to switch carriers in the future.

It's not really practical for us to be resetting our phones to configure it for a new SIM card and the information you provided doesn't work anyways. I've tried it. With this said, the Lumia 800 sold by Telus in Canada allows you to configure the MMS settings through the Diagnostic app. The Lumia 900 does not and we need to do it in these cases.

Please provide whoever gave you this answer with the information in this reply. Unfortunately Nokia does not (they should) sell unbranded handsets directly to consumers in North America. And for whatever strange reason, Microsoft forgot to include the option to configure MMS settings in the OS like they do with data APN. Given the fact that both AT&T and ROGERS WILL PROVIDE CUSTOMERS WITH UNLOCK CODES, there is no reason why Nokia shouldn't allow the Network Setup App to be available in the North American marketplaces. I'm sure Nokia and these two companies would rather have it there then having customers like myself going to the FCC/CRTC to petition new policies against their respective carriers.

Please pass this information along as many of us need to configure MMS settings either through the NETWORK SETUP app or the Diagnostic App. We don't care as long as we can when we need to do so!

Please use plain text.
dvcma

I agree with Shoey5 the Device First Usage (DFU) procedure DOES NOT work, the Rogers lumia 900 will not pick up the telus APN/MMS settings automatically and as we all know the MMS settings cannot be accessed manually. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.