Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network profi...

Sage
Shoey5

Re: Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network Pofile App)

Not to mention that this short coming is repeatedly brought up in every WP7 device that Nokia has released and will continue to come up in all future devices until Microsoft fixes this oversight in the OS. Nokia already has a solution, we just can't access it. It should be available to all users for every phone from the launch of any device.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
y2kunals

I've sat and watched this discussion go on for too long now. I can't stay quiet. This issue should have been resolved a few days after it was brought up. How can Nokia expect people to go crazy buying their hardware when there isn't any solution available to regain usage of very BASIC mobile phone functions such as MMS. As much as I love Nokia and their products, I'm really annoyed at the fact that I can't send MMS on my Lumia 900 unlocked from Rogers and there isn't any prompt solution being offered despite customers clearly having an issue with it. 

We need this issue resolved in the coming days. It's just not right the way this is going right now. Please do something about this. 

Nokia Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
jrdatrackstar

This is a very dumb move on Nokia's part.  How many people were actually effected by this so called discovered "flaw" with the app.  I can count on my fingers the number of people who actually even know HOW to exploit this "flaw", while there are many more people who travel, use an unlocked phone, and need MMS settings to be available.  Whoever is making the decisions of determining what sacrifices need to be made when determining how and why an app is taken out of the marketplace over there at Nokia should be fired.

I have an unlocked T-Mobile Lumia 710 that I needed to unlock for StraightTalk's AT&T SIM, but must now re-consider selling it since I can't use MMS with it now and will have to stick with using it on T-Mobile in places I get no service...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
moc426

This is not a reason to not have the app for these regions. The app in fact existed prior to the lumia 900 release for these regions. If this is a condition set forth by at&t then Nokia needs to speak up and say so. HTC and Samsung both have applications to modify MMS settings, and so does Nokia. Nokia needs to put this application back. I, like others here, have purchased my Lumia 900 without a contract.

Kosh wrote:

Lumia 900 models which are currently available in the US and CAN region either come with MMS settings pre-installed or should get these from the SIM when going through the Device First Usage (DFU) procedure. For this reason the Network Setup app is not available in these regions for the Lumia 900.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
y2kunals

It would be great if we had responses coming from Nokia at least once on a daily basis updating us on what's being done to resolve this truly idiotic issue. I don't think anyone here enjoys waiting on their tippy-toes to hear the next response after a couple days, only to find out that we haven't gotten anywhere yet. Especially considering that we're missing out on a basic mobile device function here.

I don't get what the hold-up is... 

Nokia Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks again for your feedback on this. I have forwarded your concerns and would like to let you know we are working to get answers as fast as we can.

Again, thanks for your patience.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
nsr2010

I have been looking to get a new phone for about a month now and the lumia 900 windows phone has caught my attention. I wanted to buy the phone outright from at&t and use it on another service provider (straight talk) but came across this issue with not being able to set up MMS settings because of the network setup app being removed from the marketplace. It seems to me that nokia, microsoft and at&t don't want people to use this device off of the at&t network which is a shame for you nokia because some of the best adverisement you can get is by word of mouth from your users.
Now since I have been following this issue one of your major competitors (google) has started selling their galaxy nexus unlocked for $399. I know for a fact that this basic option to set all the APN's needed to make all of the functions of the phone work with any carrier we choose can be done.
Basically... I feel like this issue of not being able to set MMS settings is something that you nokia and your partners here (microsoft and at&t) don't want to resolve ...and that's a shame because I do like your phone and the windows operating system and you may have just lost a potential new customer and who knows how may others that I may have got to switch from your competitors.
If your trying to reestablish yourselves in the north american market this is not a good way to go about it. Who knows how many others out there are in the same boat and have the same feelings I have about this???
I really wanted to give your product a try and a windows phone but I think that I am just going to have to go with one of your competitors... an android device.
Please use plain text.
jrdatrackstar

[ Edited ]

We don't just need a response; we need a solution. Its simple; why not just put the thing back on the market? Instead of waiting time "trying to explain". You are only making things worse by responding with robotic answers. You just had a potential customer go to your competition while you all huddle up to deliver some ***bleep*** response (and I'm sure there are plenty of other people in that same situation).

Nokia makes statements for the general public of how they are going to stop the bleeding of their company, yet they do retarded things like this to deter customers away...

MODERATORS NOTE:  The profanities have been removed. Offensive language is not allowed on the forums. Please do not use offensive language on the forums

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

Guys,

We have raised the comment that customers already have unlocked Lumia 900s and the word coming back from our Stateside colleagues is that they are aware that both AT&T in the US and Rodgers in Canada are selling the device outright (ie: not as part of a contact package), but they are in the belief that the devices are still locked.

I would therefore like to clarify the points raised here: is it the case that some of you have purchased a Lumia 900 which is unlocked at the time of purchase or that AT&T/Rodgers have provided you with the correct restriction codes to unlock them?

If devices have been unlocked by unofficial means, then there might be very little that we can do to influence the local decision, but if I am to understand that there are legitimately unlocked Lumia 900s on the North American market, then we need to bring this to the attention of Nokia US and Nokia Canada on your behalf

Thanks and regards,

MichaelS

Community Manager

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

[ Edited ]

michaels wrote:

If devices have been unlocked by unofficial means, then there might be very little that we can do to influence the local decision, but if I am to understand that there are legitimately unlocked Lumia 900s on the North American market, then we need to bring this to the attention of Nokia US and Nokia Canada on your behalf

Thanks and regards,

MichaelS

Community Manager

Michael that is correct, there are legitimate unlocked devices in North America. I myself had Rogers unlock the device. For a fee of course (carriers are scam artists) but they do it without any problems. I've had them unlock a couple of iPhones as well. I also know for a fact from friends that AT&T will also provide customers with unlock codes (though unlike Rogers) for free.

While true AT&T and Rogers sell their devices locked, both companies have the following policy, as long as the phone is not being subsidized by a contract, AT&T and ROGERS WILL provide customers with unlock codes making them legitmately unlocked.

Another point, the Lumia 800 sold in Canada has MMS settings in the Diagnostic app and for a while, the Network Setup app was showing up in the marketplace until it got pulled but I believe users in North America can still do a search for Network Setup and install it on the Lumia 800. Also to point out that both Samsung and HTC have their own versions of the Network Setup application available in North American Marketplaces....

See the following articles, just google AT&T unlocking policy or Rogers unlocking policy and you'll find lots of proof. Or you can just call them and ask them. :smileyhappy:

Rogers

http://mobilesyrup.com/2010/12/14/rogers-and-fido-start-new-policy-will-unlock-your-device-for-50/

AT&T

http://www.pcworld.com/article/253517/atandt_starts_unlocking_iphones_customers_gripe_over_long_dela...

Please use plain text.
JayHodges

Lumia 800 in the US also suffers from this problem. I wanted to use the Lumia 800 on straight talk for development, but MMS settings are not available, just as they are not available on the 900. This is a legit unlocked phone.
Please use plain text.
dvcma

I think this sums up ( at least for canada) whether or not there are legitimate unlocked phones available for use on different carriers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_Phone_Freedom_Act_(Bill_C-560)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
y2kunals

dvcma... that is a very interesting find... so does that really mean that Rogers should be unlocking deviced for free if we buy them outright without a contract? This is very interesting because they completely denied me of any unlocking and never offered to without a fee either.

Anyways, we are getting a bit side tracked, no? When is this MMS issue getting resolved? I understand Nokia has some concerns about the unlocking and all, but that's not answering our needs. We need this resolved regardless of anything. There should be an network profile app available, period.

Nokia Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
dvcma

Re: Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network profile App)

I don't think as of yet the bill has been passed by parliament but it does seem to have contributed to the Cell majors in Canada unlocking off contact/unsubsidized phones for the $50, (which is what telus and rogers charge anyway). 

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

[ Edited ]

Actually I've been doing some research, ALL the major carriers in Canada (Bell/Telus/Rogers/Fido) now unlock phones at the users request (new or off contract). So long as the customer isn't subsidizing the phone, they will unlock it on request and for a fee of course (blah). Probably why they aren't waiting for parliment to tell them to unlock the devices for free...

I purchased my Lumia 900 outright so I could get Rogers to unlock it and use it when I'm staying somewhere else, just swap my sim card with a local sim card and put my Rogers one in when I come back.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tarekals

I have a contract with Bell, had a Samsung S2 and decided later on to go back to Nokia and bought a Nokia Lumia 900 from Rogers (straight out) and asked them to unlock the phone and funny thing, they told me to call Rogers customer service to unlock it for me and so I did but Rogers customer service told me that they not allowed to unlock it and I must have an account with Rogers inorder for me to use it. So I had to use a thrid party website to unlock the phone for me and it worked well from dialing to browsing the net BUT the MMS is notworking since I donot have the option to add it in APN. Nokia needs to admit that they made a big mistake and put the Network app back on the market and stop making lame excuses like blaming it on some unrelated reason. Nokia is loosing more clients to andriod just for their obvious mistakes.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Tarekals: That's because the policy to unlock a phone through Rogers requires you to be a Rogers customer in good standing who paid the un-subsidized portion of the phone. ie bought it outright or ran through your contract.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
tarekals

thanks for responding Shoey5, but are you telling me that Nokia`s "Networkwork App" will not help me out provide they re-release it.
thanks alot.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gwydion

I'm very interested in the outcome of this discussion as well.  I'm currently trying to decide between the 710, 900 and Focus 2.  I always buy my phones outright, and if Nokia can't get the MMS issue resolved I'll have to go with the Focus 2.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

tarekals wrote:
thanks for responding Shoey5, but are you telling me that Nokia`s "Networkwork App" will not help me out provide they re-release it.
thanks alot.

No that is incorrect, it will allow you to configure your MMS Settings. Michaels was simply asking if there are legitimately unlocked Lumia 900's in North America to carry more weight in getting the Network Setup Application on the North American Market. ie. I got mine unlocked via Rogers and AT&T will unlock phones as long as they aren't subsidized. Regardless it shouldn't really matter. If this configuration setting was built into the OS the way it should it wouldn't even be a thought in anyones mind and regardless of how a phone is unlocked by non legitimate means, it would still under a contract so no one is losing anything except for the user of the phone.

It's really simple, people travel with their phones and these days it's easy to get a sim card/service even for a week, some have multiple services. Whatever the reason, a simple program that is already available but not in our marketplaces is all that's needed :smileysad:

Please use plain text.