Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network Pofil...

Professor
KennyKB

Re: Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network Pofile App)

So it looks like Nokia won't support any unlocked Lumia 900 in N. America. Well, if you still want an unlocked phone there is always the Nokia N9 with MeeGo Swipe OS but you have to buy it online. And it looks exactly like the L900, only a little smaller.

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/nokia-for-business/nokia-n9/nokia-n9-for-business/

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gwydion

[quote]However, you may manually add your network service provider's access point into your Nokia Lumia 900. Please note that when you “Add APN”, we would like to inform you that MMS service will not work unless you reset your Nokia Lumia 900 before you “Add APN”. [/quote]

Does this mean MMS will work if you Add the APN before you reset your device?  I'm confused.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

gwydion wrote:

[quote]However, you may manually add your network service provider's access point into your Nokia Lumia 900. Please note that when you “Add APN”, we would like to inform you that MMS service will not work unless you reset your Nokia Lumia 900 before you “Add APN”. [/quote]

Does this mean MMS will work if you Add the APN before you reset your device?  I'm confused.

No, it means that first you need to reset the device and then enter new APN for MMS in order for it to work.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

[ Edited ]

Just some clarification.

Windows Phone only reads SIM settings at first bootup. So if you boot with a SIM, and then swap it with another will not switch settings. Some manufactures like HTC and LGE added their own software to aid you here, others did not. I don't know about Nokia, but it seems they did not else this issue wouldn't exist.

Also in addition many manufactures (including Nokia this time) released tools to do it manually after first boot. The Nokia Network Profile App (which I understood is not available for some devices) is such a tool.

This tool is also needed in case you have a phone that does not detect the settings (correctly) at first boot. E.g. some smaller carriers may not be detected/known.

So if MMS does not work, usually the sane thing is get the tool. Also that works without phone resets (although a reboot may be needed). Since Nokia didn't make it available for all phones, that option is blocked.

So then you need to remember what you did. Did you boot up originally with this SIM? If so, and MMS does not work, it is unlikely it will work after reset as well (unless an later update improved their first boot detection of course).
If you are on a smaller carrier like one that uses other bigger carriers networks, you likely have to wait for Nokia to release their tool.

Did you however swap SIMs, and the new SIM's MMS does not work, then a reset may help.

Add APN is almost always not relevant here. The 'Add APN' only works for regular internet, not MMS (or HotSpot). For most operators MMS requires a different APN and/or a proxy address than the internet APN.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gwydion

Basically, I want a White or Cyan 900, which is not available here in Canada. I want to buy it outright from AT&T and have them unlock it. Is there a way to get MMS working on my carrier here in Canada, or not?
Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

gwydion wrote:
Basically, I want a White or Cyan 900, which is not available here in Canada. I want to buy it outright from AT&T and have them unlock it. Is there a way to get MMS working on my carrier here in Canada, or not?

Depending on your carrier, probably not

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

ArminG wrote:

Just some clarification.

Windows Phone only reads SIM settings at first bootup. So if you boot with a SIM, and then swap it with another will not switch settings. Some manufactures like HTC and LGE added their own software to aid you here, others did not. I don't know about Nokia, but it seems they did not else this issue wouldn't exist.

This is only useful if and when (rarely) a different carrier gets detected. Not to mention as you stated, even if the first boot did help, it doesn't help if you switch sims, ie someone like myself who travels and uses more than one sim.

Please use plain text.
TheBDub

Here's my problem.

I bought the Lumia 900 at a MS store, not an ATT store for use on straight talk. This is an ATT mvno. ATT has agreements with roughly 10 or so different providers in the US that don't even need the phone unlocked to go on their network. I bought the phone outright with the expectation that I would be able to use my "smart" phone the way I wanted to.

Nokia, by not releasing this app, you've already lost plenty of customers to Samsung because their network profile app is on our market. Its frustrating that I can't even receive group text messages, which is essential for my job, because of the lack of a profile app.

I know MS made an error when not releasing the ability to manually add apn's in WP7, but I can't recommend this phone to anyone until the ability to get a working network profile app is in the US. Its primitive functioning on a smartphone that you can't provide me.

I love the Lumia 900, but ill have to get rid of it and use my Focus S instead.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
tarekals

I live in Halifax, NS. I bought my Nokia 900 from Rogers and got it unlocked because I use a different provider, even after reseting my phone, I was still unable to add MMS in APN since I was able to add Dataplan only.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DanMarkBen

This is indeed VERY frustrating.

I recently came into posession of a Lumia 710.  I had it unlocked so my sister could use it on AT&T.  It works great except for MMS.  We NEED the Network Setup app to get this working.  It should be SO simple!  Please, Nokia, hear your customers!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tarekals

and the sad part, we as customers will be posting complains on Nokia site while Nokia will be telling "us to be patient and we are looking into your issue", because that`s the only good thing they are good at. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Shoey5 wrote:

Got this response from a Nokia rep in the US when I tweeted about the Network Setup App.

"it should be published soon. I believe that it's already gone through technical approval on our side."

Here is hoping this is true and we'll see it soon.

Well I guess this was just a bunch of ...........

Please use plain text.
brettschulte

AT&T is NOT providing unlock codes for the Nokia 900.
Please use plain text.
brettschulte

I use my 900 Straight Talk (an AT&T MVNO) also. Wish I could MMS.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

AT&T can and have, they will only do it if your a customer and not on contract and you get a rep who knows what they are talking about. They won't do it if your not a customer, they aren't in the business to sell just phones. Same goes for Rogers in Canada except for the $50.00 fee Rogers charges its customers of course!!!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Trolls12

And I just paid for an unlocked Lumia 900 from Rogers and was so happy until now :smileysad:   I thought faith had been restored in Nokia, but this is no way to treat your customers. I bought the 900 because I am a business user, travel a lot, use MMS and tethering. Now I find out I can't use it?  Seriously, I am hopping mad right now and while I was about to tell all my friends how cool this phone is I am going to tell them to avoid Nokia like the plague. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Had my other SIM installed in my phone a few days ago. Someone sent me an MMS, had to call them back and ask them to email whatever it was they sent me. :smileysad:

Can someone at Nokia PLEASE confirm if the Network Setup App will be put back online and when. I've seen a few twitter posts from Nokia indicating that it passed technical verification and would be available soon but that was weeks ago!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
moc426

I think we have been forgotten here.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mancunian14

Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network Pofile App)

Hi, I have been having the identical issue with a Lumia 800 in the UK. When I first got it I inserted a Vodafone sim but the phone then used the Vodafone settings as the default. When I inserted my main sim from T-Mobile everything worked other than MMS. This has been cracking me up for ages. I tried everything from master resets to MMS settings direct from T-Mobile - nothing worked until now. I just went onto market place and typed NETWORK SETUP and I found a Nokia app which I just downloaded and this app allowed me to manually reconfigure the MMS settings and now I can send MMS.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Mancunian14 wrote:. I just went onto market place and typed NETWORK SETUP and I found a Nokia app which I just downloaded and this app allowed me to manually reconfigure the MMS settings and now I can send MMS.

While I'm happy Mancunian14 got his MMS settings configured. I can't tell you how infuriating it is to know that such a simple solution is available for everyone except those living in North America!

Please use plain text.