Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network Pofil...

Contributor
azdirtrider

Re: Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network Profile App)

Once again, bought the phone without contract (lumia 900), running on an MVNO, so the phone is still locked.  Still on the AT&T network, however this is an MVNO so it needs it's own internet APN and an APN for MMS. I have told this to support and that always ends with some form of I don't have some magic firmware. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nurb

Is it straight talk? You can get data by just entering att.mvno into the apn settings under cellular. No MMS though.

I have unbranded country variant software on my Lumia 800 and it made no difference. Still not MMS.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
azdirtrider

No not ST, and my data works just peachy...there is one section to add an APN... have not tried it it, but almost willing to bet I can get MMS with no internet, but who wants that. I have internet with no MMS... thought I made that clear.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
weezedog

Re: Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network Pofile App)

According to Microsoft's support documents, the windows phone marketplace determines the region of the phone by the windows live account you added to your phone when you first set it up.

To change the first windows live account on the phone you have to do a factory reset, you can not change or delete your intial account after its been added to the phone.

With that said, has anyone tried creating a new tempoary windows live account with a european country code, and then checked to see the app shows up in the marketplace for you? The downside is that you are stuck withe the wrong live account for appstore purchases etc.. but if MMS is that important to you, it might be a good tempoary work around to get the network setup app until its released for North America.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

[ Edited ]

The app is now available again in all countries except USA, Canada, Columbia, India and Iceland.  Also, not for the following operators: Boost (Australia), Siminn (Iceland), Talkmobile (UK), Virgin (UK).

We have received the following clarification from our North American colleagues concerning the reason that it cannot work at present:

Lumia 900 models sold in the US by AT&T are automatically provisioned by the AT&T contract SIM card to use the 'PTA' access point.

This PTA access point is used by the qualcomm modem sw to attach to the LTE network, and is defined in the EFS file system on the modem side. Windows Phone OS does not come into play here. Attaching to the LTE network happens at bootup. Network Setup cannot manipulate this modem-side access point definition at the moment.

Note; fixed typo

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gwydion

So where does that leave 710 and 800 owners that either bought the phone unlocked, or had it unlocked by the carrier they purchased it from?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Luminato

What I am understanding is that there is an issue involving the LTE aspect of the lumia 900 and the network setup app.

What is not clear is if Nokia is working on fixing this problem, or if they are not going to release the application.

If there is no issue affecting the 710 and 800,  make the application detect the 900 and prevent it from installing or inform the user that LTE will not be configured only HSPA will be configured (at least until you can find a better solution).

HTC, LG and Samsung ALL have their network setup applications available. There is no excuse for why I cannot get MMS and internet sharing setting configured on my brand new nokia phones. 

When I bought into Nokia I thought I was buying a phone from a premium windows partner. This is clearly not the case and I really feel cheated at this point.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
moc426

[ Edited ]
So if I understand this right, AT&T says the network setup app won't work properly with the Lumia 900, so let's say this is true, is that a reason to remove the app? AT&T has nothing to do with the Lumia 710 or the Lumia 800. In addition, the Lumia 900 on MVNO does not use LTE, it uses AT&T's 4G network.
It took months to get this response? AT&T should not have any say on which apps Nokia can have in the market place. Hey, maybe AT&T can tell Nokia that it can't include Nokia Drive in the US because AT&T wants users to use AT&T Navigator for 9.99 a month.
I never owned a Nokia phone prior to this and I am not sure I will want another after this.

michaels wrote:

The app is now available again in all countries except USA, Canada, Columbia, India and Iceland.  Also, not for the following operators: Boost (Australia), Siminn (Iceland), Talkmobile (UK), Virgin (UK).

We have received the folloeing clarification from our North American colleagues concerning the reason that it cannot work at present:

Lumia 900 models sold in the US by AT&T are automatically provisioned by the AT&T contract SIM card to use the 'PTA' access point.

This PTA access point is used by the qualcomm modem sw to attach to the LTE network, and is defined in the EFS file system on the modem side. Windows Phone OS does not come into play here. Attaching to the LTE network happens at bootup. Network Setup cannot manipulate this modem-side access point definition at the moment.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BadPuppet

If it is true that the Windows Phone OS is not setting the MMS settings (which I do not believe) then how do other LTE phones allow you to do it?  I think this is just another lie from Nokia.  Nokia representatives have told me an update would come that would allow the MMS feature to be changed.  Based on that information, I did not return the phone.

So I need to know if Nokia is actively working on a solution or I need to know how to return this device.

This is getting to be a very hot topic, if you Google Lumia 900 MMS, this topic is in the top results.

Please use plain text.
eppey

OK, fair enough that it's available in those countries but the explanation still doesn't hold a lot of water.  The app was available previously and it did work previoulsy.  It also doesn't exlplain the Canadian Rogers users or the 710 and 800 models.

Kosh and Michaels, please keep communicating with us.  RIght now you are really all we have for hope that this will be resolved.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Michaels, I can't tell you how frustrated I'm getting at the information coming out of Nokia. I understand this is what you're being told but it's always something different and it's always inaccurate

Go back and have them explain this?

1. The Network Setup App was avilable in North America and it worked fine on all devices including the Lumia 900.  Here is just one example. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5739/nokia-acknowledges-lumia-900-data-issue-offers-100-credit

2. Even if it were true that it didn't work on the Lumia 900 which is total BS as it does, it doesn't explain why it's not avialable for other models including the Lumia 710/800 available in North America. Again, it was for those devices as well and now it's not.

3. Whoever is making this decision is narrow minded in looking at the fact that YES the devices is provisioned for Rogers/AT&T in the US but that doesn't remove the fact that people can get their devices unlocked (through carrier or non carrier) and put a different SIM in the Phone. Even if this BS was true (WHICH AGAIN IT ISN"T), it wouldn't apply if you put another SIM in and didn't use LTE, and it wouldn't apply to the Lumia 710/800/610.

4. I've also heard BS that becaues Nokia doesn't sell unlocked phones in North Amierca they don't supply it. The fact that it's unlocked means you can buy it and use it anywhere in the world that supports the bands (which the Nokia line does in regards to Quad Band devices) So you're screwed if you have a North American Hotmail account.

I'm angry that the application was available and then taken away. I'm more angry that we keep getting BS information back from these people. I know you're just being relayed the information but it's completely innacurate information!

michaels wrote:

We have received the folloeing clarification from our North American colleagues concerning the reason that it cannot work at present:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
weezedog

michaels wrote:

Sounds like he is saying that the LTE modem gets it APN from the SIM card. It's probably all done in hardware because windows phone doesn't have software support for LTE. The network setup app can't change the LTE configuration.

HOWEVER, the actual reason we need the network setup app is because we are using our phones on an HSDPA network via mvno provider and need the network setup app to change the APN to get MMS to work.

WE ARE NOT USING LTE!!! WE ARE USING HSDPA ONLY!!! It's fine if the app can't change the LTE modem settings, we don't need it to because we are using HSDPA only!

AGAIN, we are not using LTE. I'm not sure they understand that.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
azdirtrider

Hmm.. with this said. It contradicts Kosh annoncing its return to the market and your support staff talking about some magic firmware. Your companies integrity is on the line here and I hope WPCentral gets wind of this and reports it!
Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

[ Edited ]

weezedog wrote:

Sounds like he is saying that the LTE modem gets it APN from the SIM card. It's probably all done in hardware because windows phone doesn't have software support for LTE. The network setup app can't change the LTE configuration.

HOWEVER, the actual reason we need the network setup app is because we are using our phones on an HSDPA network via mvno provider and need the network setup app to change the APN to get MMS to work. 

Exactly! Not to mention if you travel, you have the option of putting in an HSDPA SIM card and have full functionality with the Network Setup App. Not to mention the fact that no one in North America LTE or NON LTE devices have access to the Network Setup App anymore

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ShaunEDM

[ Edited ]

Michaels, What about Canada and Rogers? You didn't address that. It is LEGAL according to Canadian law that we are allowed to unlock a phone, and thus we should have the feature of MMS available no matter what network we attach. Please address this issue.

This whole thing is getting pretty rediculous. It was available, then it wasn't then it's available but only for a select few countries, then we are told it won't even work because of XYZ.  Sounds like a lot of chickens running around with their heads cut off.  

Its pretty bad this topic is now front and centre on Google when you search for it.  I think Nokia really needs to step up here.  If it doesn't work then develop soemthing that WILL work.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mooreshelby

Disappointed!

-Shelby

Please use plain text.
TheBDub

Nokia, if you can't provide this app to us, you really need to give the people who have been putting up with your vague responses and empty words, a refund for our phones. This is ridiculous. I bought thus phone excited for the windows experience. Now I'm going to get a new start screen and no MMS.

Give us a reason to ever want to buy a Nokia product again. If you don't, I'm not, and a whole bunch of other people aren't either.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Another thing, even if this were the case then why are people able to go in and configure the APN under Settings/Cellular to work?

There is obviously more to it since it was pulled from all Lumia handsets

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BadPuppet

I agree.  We were told the app was "coming soon."  From the sound of it, Nokia has no intention of releasing the app.  Its a really good point about edit apn works.  If the modem was configured before the OS loads, how is Edit APN working?  Is this just another Nokia lie?

I am a owner of a device made by Nokia and I demand support!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
weezedog

Edit APN works because we are using HSDPA.

We need to hammer home the fact to Nokia that we are only using HSDPA and not LTE.

If Straight Talk mvno ever offers LTE they would send out a new LTE provisioned SIM and that would configure the APN for the LTE modem in the Lumia 900.

In the meantime, to get MMS working on Straight Talk (using AT&T's HSDPA network) we still need the Network Setup app.
Please use plain text.