Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 900 Screen Draw bug

randomThought

Lumia 900 Screen Draw bug

[ Edited ]

Found an interesting bug on a few lumia 900's (i have tried it on 4 and all show it) that may affect certain games, especially Harbor Master for me since it involved drawing lines to the screen edge.

The problem is that if you draw one straight line from the left edge of the screen to the right edge (or the  other way around), the end of the right edge (about 1 cm wide)  doesnt acknowledge the line drawing unless the line is drawn very slowly.

To reproduce the bug, open the nokia diagnostic tools and run the 'Touch' test. To get the diagnostics tool if you dont, just dial ##634# using the touchpad.

Draw a line fro the left edge to the right edge quickly and you will see what i mean. Or from the right to left. The same thing happens if drawn from top to bottom.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
invertme

I complained about this too but no one responded to my message. I thought it was an issue with the phone lagging and not being able to keep up with finger movements on the screen.

I've had wordament bug out (just one example) and totally stop recognizing any screen input if I find words too fast.

What made me think it was some type of lag even more is that when send texts if I use autocorrect a lot the phone will slow down and very slowly replaces words with the autocorrected version.

Hopefully we get some feedback on this.

Please use plain text.
randomThought

[ Edited ]

Apparently any quick gesture on the edge of the screen gets ignored, not just from the one edge corner to another. It will definitely impact stuff like fast typing while sliding to the edges of the keyboard.

Please use plain text.
kbob_o

I noticed the same thing, especially when playing Wordament.
Like a cursor with an acceleration speed tied to it, the input seems to be behind where my finger actually is on fast movements. Drives me nuts and the reason I signed up here.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
invertme

Well that's three.

I encourage people who play a lot of wardament to see this bug first hand. If you have another WP device to play on and compare you will see the 900 has a problem. Be it lag, screen draw or whatever.

Please use plain text.
ckozma

I have a Lumia 900 and have also noticed this lag on wordament. Just wanted to chime in!
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback on this. I have forwarded this to our technical team and will report back to you here if I get any information I can share.

Kosh 

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
woutervu

I really hope this is going to be fixed in a software update. I do not own a Lumia 900, but I am about to buy either an 800 or 900, but I'm going to wait now to see if this is going to get fixed. If it doesn't, I might get the 800...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
invertme

So the lag issue was really bothering me (I am a Wordament fanatic :smileyhappy: ) and I returned my cyan 900 for a white one on Saturday.

Right out of the box I noted the purple screen bug - not a huge deal. I sent a text and noticed the lag while texting right away... (sigh) then I installed wordament and it was better but still laggy. I also noted lag while scrolling and doing various tasks. (Grrr)

I then disabled auto brightness to fix the purple issue and went to respond to a text and it was perfect. Sent about 10 more texts and it was super-fast and smooth. Scrolled through a bunch of screens - again perfect. Went to play Wordament and it was 99% better than before. 

I don't know if disabling auto brightness fixed the lag issues but it's so much better than it was before. I also noticed that when I scroll through a long list of apps that the "inertia" feels better and more natural now. It did not feel good at all out of the box. 

I will keep using my 900 and see if I can keep having good results.

On a side note, the camera on my white 900 is worse than the one on my cyan model and the vibrate sound is worse on the white one too.

Please use plain text.
hafenbrack

I am having a similar issue as well. 

1. I notice it is when I go to unlick my phone there is a noticable lag. When I pres the first digit of the PIN it doesn't register until after I have tapped the second characetr of the PIN.

2a. When the phone is charging it is VERY laggy. This is especaiily noticable when scrolling the start screen. Instead of the buttery smooth scrolling it is very choppy.

2b. I have also noticed the slow response when plugging/unplugging the phone. Just today after I unplugged my phone it toook several minutes for it to acknowledge it had been unplugged. As long as that occurs I see the issua of 2a (choppy scrolling, etc.) as is if it were still plugged in.

3. The entire device seems to momentarily freeze when the brightness automatically adjusts.

4. At times the typing in any text box (email, text meassage, etc.) seems to fall behind. It is most noticable when first starting the message (maybe the brightness is changing?).

Are these consistent problems across all devices or would this warrant an exchange for a new device? I had the original Samsung Focus and didn't have these same problems. In general I love my 900, but these "glitches" can become very irritating when I know my "old" Focus was working just fine.

Please use plain text.
hafenbrack

Regarding points 2a and 2b in my previous post:
I have started using the suplied Nokia Micro USB cable and charger (I hadn't been as I have tons of these things pluggen in already) and this has seemed to eliminate the issues I see when the phone is plugged in.

One thing I wanted to add/ask is if anyone else has noticed the slow response in automatically adjusting the brightoness on your 900? i noticed this evening that sometimes it takes quite a whiel (30 seconds or more) for my 900 to adjust to the current light levels.
Please use plain text.
kbob_o

At 3:53 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KBDZrqVW-8 it shows what I'm having a problem with. You'll see that the input is behind where his finger actually is.
Please use plain text.
Tharok2

FINALLY someone has mentioned the exact issues I am having with my Nokia Lumia 900.  There is sometimes a noticeable lag when typing the first character in a series and after and after a brief pause in typing.  Nokia has to address this issue.  I paid full price for this device and other than this issue I love the phone.  However, this problem is so annoying and inexcusable for a device like this considering I've had 2 older windows phone models (Arrive/7 pro, and Dell Venue Pro) and neither of them ever had any issue like this.  I also noticed a severe lag when playing games on the device.  For instance, when playing Pocket God, flicking the pygmies is almost impossible to do accurately-- this being a problem I never had on my old Arrive and Dell Venue Pro.  Nokia, if you are listening Fix this problem.  I am thinking of switching to a Titan II if this problem is not resolved.

So disappointed after being so excited.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
webmike82

Same issue here. Its already the end of may and I haven't heard Nokia even acknowledge this problem exist. This phone is going to get returned for a focus 2 real quick. This is the third model I've returned because of these issues. If I can't play games on my windows phone what's the point of keeping it.
Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

1. I notice it is when I go to unlick my phone there is a noticable lag. When I pres the first digit of the PIN it doesn't register until after I have tapped the second characetr of the PIN. 

2a. When the phone is charging it is VERY laggy. This is especaiily noticable when scrolling the start screen. Instead of the buttery smooth scrolling it is very choppy.

2b. I have also noticed the slow response when plugging/unplugging the phone. Just today after I unplugged my phone it toook several minutes for it to acknowledge it had been unplugged. As long as that occurs I see the issua of 2a (choppy scrolling, etc.) as is if it were still plugged in.

3. The entire device seems to momentarily freeze when the brightness automatically adjusts.

4. At times the typing in any text box (email, text meassage, etc.) seems to fall behind. It is most noticable when first starting the message (maybe the brightness is changing?).

I have those EXACT Same issues too.  Will also not that the brightness (when on auto) is SLOW to adjust to the lightting enviroment.  The biggest pain is #1 - as i usually have to enter my PIN in twice..

I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JayBooney

I'd just like to contribute and say that I experience the same screen lag, with Wordament being worst affected application. The problem is apparent when using the diagnostic touchscreen tool and drawing off the edge of the screen. As shown in the Youtube link above, the line will terminate approximately 1cm from the edge where the tracking has not kept up with the finger movement. Very annoying as it makes the phone feel a little unresponsive.

I also have the purple colouration at very low brightness. Also very annoying on a high end handset.

Elswhere I have posted about the purple hue in the middle of photos with light backgrounds and mid-low lighting. Also very annoying on a Carl Zeiss high end phone camera.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience and feedback on this behaviour. I am glad to be able to let you all know the cause of this has been identified and a fix will be available in the next major update.

At this time we do not have an exact date for this update yet though so I ask you to have a little more patience.

Again, thank you and if you have any further questions please let us know!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Tharok2

Nokia lumia 900 has been the worst windows phone I've owned to date! Laggy typing and inaccurate touch screen is a huge disappointment. The camera, which was supposed to be a big selling point, turned out to be horrific. I've owned an HTC arrive and then a Dell venue pro. The Dells camera was bad, but I never had issues with the screen. The arrive was by far the best over all. It was buttery smooth all the way through. I never had to restart it for anything, and the camera took better pictures than the so called Carl Zeus lens packing 900. I hope there is an update soon that makes this device live up to the hype, or this will be the last Nokia device I buy. It looks like HTC and Samsung are doing a much better job with implementing windows phone OS on their devices. Nokia has great esthetics, but have some serious work to do with software. Its sad since they are supposed to be the flag ship OEM.
Please use plain text.
firefoxos

The isuues with laggy Lumia 900 and slow reaction ligting changes when automatic brightness is on are still present! I'm running the latest 7.8 build installed using Zune.
Please use plain text.