Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 900 Vibrate rattle ?

Advisor
gahbmwm5

Once again apologies for the double post as I'm posting this from my L900...for more testing purposes... Relating to the tinny rattle...go to Settings---->Ringtone-sounds---->turn off vibrate Reboot device.. Now (obviously) I do not get the vibrate sound on any text messages or incoming calls...However when I power off the device again.....this tinny rattle sounds.. Lol Can any of our collective membership also verify this? This is with the latest firmware update and a hard reset. . Thanks         

P.S. This was placed on the Lumia 900 (Various Issues) thread and I felt it more appropriate to move it here...

As a lot of our collective membership are reporting....this tinny rattle also occurs when pressing any of the capacity buttons too. (When the vibrate funtion/feature is turned off...)

More exposure will hopefully assist with Nokia Lab Experts to identify and possibly rectify situation with a firmware update...:smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Glossy Red
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gahbmwm5

lol...after reviewing the UserGuide.pdf: (Once Again)

Switch the phone on or off

Switch the phone on

Press and hold the power key, until the phone vibrates.

So this is a feature even when vibrate feature is turned off...:smileysurprised:

Could not edited my previous post...sorry

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
goofbox

Thank you for your response...I should have been more clear with what I said..got emotional and I apologize. I am well aware that this is a hardware problem and cannot be fixed with a patch...however I was making a point about Nokia acknowledging the problem so carriers won't give too much problem when customers ask switch their phone.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gahbmwm5

[ Edited ]

gahbmwm5@gahbmwm5

@NokiaCareUS2nd white L900 still has tinny rattle Am concerned this will not be fixed by firmware update. Only 14 days left to exchange?

Nokia Care US@NokiaCareUS

@gahbmwm5 are aware of the issue and appropriate team is investigating.  Will reach out w/ any new info.

Excellent that Nokia is actively investigating...as I was aware of this..

However, I'm still going to go to AT&T Corp Stores (if they have any new stock) of white models to see if I can hopefuly_luckily find a defect free unit..lol

Will also call Nokia @888-665-4228 to so that they can also be made aware (they may be already)..

Then contact AT&T C.S. to get this all documented on my account and have a extension of their 30 day exchange policy...this ends on May 23rd...

It is nice to see an organization like Nokia really reaching out ,listening to their customers...as this is quote from an editor of a well known Windows Phone site:

"It's still something that shouldn't happen for any mass-released phone let alone a "hero" device for AT&T.

I found it personally to be pretty annoying though the rattle from the vibration was worse.

Luckily on my new white Lumia 900 it has zero issues: no rattle, no purple and no creaky upper right hand corner.

That should tell you its a factory QC issue and Nokia needs to know that info as they want to maintain high quality devices.

And yeah, their service is unprecedented. One of the only Windows Phone OEMs that you can contact 4 or 5 people in the company and who not only listen, but bend over backwards to assist.

Much better support than Samsung who don't even have a face here in the US."

UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with AT&T Customer Service:Tech Level II...and the rep spoke directly with her manager...Can not give any extension of the 30 day exchange polcy..because they have not received any official info from Nokia.

Advice: Keep returning the device to AT&T Corp stores and 'hope' that you can acquire a defect free device...lol

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nrgyzr

Sadly, I returned my phone as the issue to was much to handle and I lost trust in the device. I really did love windows os but it was the hardware that scared me away. Unless a better windows phone comes along before summer, I will probably be getting the new samsung galaxy.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
madgalaxy

I have the rattle as well, very annoying.  I wish I could turn off vibrate all together, but that is not an option.

I went into the ATT store and all the demos and the employee phone had the rattle, so I did not want to go through the exchange process.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
NashTheFlash

Did you notice the rattle immediately after each purchase, or did the phone not have the rattle at first, and then it developed the rattle?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
laozx

my first lumia 900 had a pretty terrible rattle out of the box, so when I replaced it with another one, the vibrate was much quieter, however about 2 weeks later it's been getting worse, almost as bad as the first one.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
CodyJ

I bought the black Lumia 900 on release day and it works perfectly.  However, I bought a Cyan Lumia 900 shortly **bleep** and have had nothing but problems with the vibration.  I took it back to the ATT store twice and got it replaced.  Both replacements had the rattle.  So I sent the last one to Nokia to have them fix it.  When I got the new phone...the rattle was still there and was possible even worse!  When I shake the black Lumia I don't here anything.  However, when I shake the cyan one I can hear something rattle slightly.  It's VERY annoying.  I waited so long for this phone to be released and now I can't even get one that works properly.  I conctacted Nokia again and they said to wait for a phone call.  So I'm waiting.  I hope they fix it.  This has been terrible for me.  I just love the os and the look of the phone.  But if it's going to keep rattling like that I'm going to go nuts.  Such a wonderful product ruined by something so small...  Even if they say they'll work on it again I'll still have to go another week without the phone.  Ugh..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
smahend2

Having the rattle issue on my phone. Doesn't sound like it's as bad as others posting on here, but I'm worried about it getting worse. I've already replaced it twice for the touch button issues.
Please use plain text.
skaven

I ended up exchanging my non-green dot Lumia 900 in at the end of my 30 day return window after I was getting random cellular data issues and sticky capacitive buttons.

My new green dot Lumia 900.1 now has the purple tint (mildly annoying, but I know it's being fixed) and the camera rattle (really annoying) - neither of which was an issue on my first phone.

Any additional word from Nokia about how this issue is being handled? I am afraid to do another exchange and get a phone with a mix or match of the above, not to mention the annoyance of setting up the phone... again. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

skaven wrote:

Any additional word from Nokia about how this issue is being handled? I am afraid to do another exchange and get a phone with a mix or match of the above, not to mention the annoyance of setting up the phone... again. :smileyhappy:

It's up to you to decide which is more annoying - the purple tint plus rattle or setting up the phone again after getting one that works properly. These two faults can be easily checked while in store when you do your exchange.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sgt_kowalski

I have the black lumia 900 and the rattle has gotten worse over time. It's so bad now that there's a vibration in the earpiece when I'm on the phone. It just started today and it is extremely annoying. I'll be going to my local AT&T store tomorrow to get a replacement. This is simply unacceptable  to the point where I can't use my phone. If I squeeze the top portion of the phone during a conversation it's fine. So there's something letting loose inside.

Please use plain text.
Golf3r

Kosh, any update on this issue since mid April? I have a device with the same behavior, wondering what I can do to get it fixed.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MJChisale

I has no rattle until I dropped my 900 for the first time. Just be careful with it I guess! Phone is still amazing. Try switching of the vibration though guys. It works! Sorta. Lol
Please use plain text.
DarthJolli

[ Edited ]

Hi guys, probably just bumping a dead post here, but hey.

Bit of a late adopter of my Lumia 900, i wasn't too concerned about having the latest and greatest, and only really made the choice on the fact Nokia have had some really good PR about the build quality and usability of the phone. 

Going through all of these posts i've kinda had second thoughts. I've had the rattle from day one and its progressivly getting worse, as well as the capacitive button issue when audio is played through the loudspeaker. Audio quality is terrible from every call i've received, with freinds telling me they're hearing themselves through loopback from the speaker, and commenting i sound like i'm talking to them outside on a windy day.

I thought i could live with the phone, but after i took this photo ( http://i.imgur.com/HrERm.jpg ) and it froze, i'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting it returned. I'm not too sure what to make of it, but the rattle is caused by something loose and whatever it is - loose light sensor, speaker magnets, or whatever - it's going to get worse over time.

Also going by the amount of times people have replaced their phones and still experience hardware issues, i'm not sure if i can trust another Lumia 900. Going by the rollout strategy of WP8 and Nokia's impending release of the 820 and 920, the 900 just looks like a rushed proof of concept for these more competitive phones. I know if i get a 920 as a replacement, Nokia (hopefully) would have learned from these early-build issues and i'll be buying into quality. 

Is it worth dealing with another 900, or should i just hold out (i've got a two year warranty on a pre-paid device, so i dont have any real contracts to deal with) for the 920?

Please use plain text.