Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 900 Vibrate rattle ?

Counsellor
vlado3g

Lumia 900 Vibrate rattle ?

A lot of Lumia 900 owners are reporting a rattle during vibration alerts. Can anyone comfirm this ?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
guscampbell

Re: Lumia 900 Vibrate rattle ?

I just got my lumia yesterday and can confirm the rattle. It is pretty annoying, especially with the capacitive buttons...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stevebor1

I have a rattle too. Not sure where it is coming from.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mluddyjr

Mine rattles when vibrating too. It sounds terrible and makes the device seem cheap. I've tested the vibration while holding each of the external buttons and with the sim card and tray removed. The rattling sound is coming from something inside the device.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
thechi

Have exact same issue. Quite surprising this was not caught in quality control as it cheapens the feel of the physical build quite a bit.

Think Nokia has done some great things with this phone, but it's little things like this that just doesn't match up to the obsessively polished feel of the iPhone.

Design-wise, Nokia crushes hands down though. Hopefully this gets fixed in the next iteration of handsets and recent adopters can get some kind of kickback / replacement
Please use plain text.
Advisor
stevebor1

Does anyone NOT have the rattle? I wonder if I should get a replacement...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
JesmanX

Yep, on mine it sounds like something is loose on the inside.  Almost sounds like that crackling noise you get when you have an electrical short.

Please use plain text.
Liver13

I received my Lumia 900 on 4/6/12 and love it... minus the rattle issue which is fast becoming a real dealbreaker for me with the device.

@WPCentral replied to me tonight saying that althought they mentioned it in there review as well, very few people have commented on the topic, which means there might be hope that we are a small few that just need to head into the store and replace these units and it's fixed.

I enabled the Nokia Diagnostic Tool using the ##634# command tonight and there is a "Vibra" tool that runs the motor steadily so you can hear the rattle till your hearts content.  I plan on using that to show the AT&T staff my problem because it doesn't happen ALL the time.  It seems to be when it's sitting on a flat surface or when it's not being held using the "approved grip" similar to the iphone antenna-gate issue (had to get that dig in there).

Regardless of how much I LOVE the phone in general (and I do), I can't have this phone at work creating a scene in silent mode... it's anything BUT silent.

Please use plain text.
arodriguezj

I really hope that this gets fixed. I'm on my THIRD Lumia from AT&T. Every time I went to a different store, none of the rep models did it, and my girlfriend's doesn't do it. It's becoming a bother just because I now know that it isn't normal behavior. It also seems to get worse as time goes on, which is a little concerning. For a phone and OS that I love so much, this rattle is becoming a pain. What's even worse, is that AT&T is starting to tell me they won't exchange it in store anymore.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ReeceSource

Yeah...I have the vibrate rattle. It's frustrating because I love the phone, but the vibrate is really killing it for me. It's distracting, and just sounds cheap. As someone said, I don't get how this passed quality control without being noticed. I mean is it really that uncommon? Hopefully Nokia finds a solution for this because I dont want to be like the guy above me (arodriguezj) that has replaced it 3 times, and still has the problem.

As a suggestion though, if anyone is going to go replace it I would say take the replacement out the box while you're at the store, and download an app called Simple Vibrator. Set the frequency up, and just let it go for a good 5-10 minutes to see if it has the rattle. That would probably save you time and trouble. That's what I'm planning on doing.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
oldgreygeek

Picked up the 900 yesterday, as of now I have NO rattle. Phone is fine. Camera stinks, but phone is ok.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ReeceSource

If you notice a rattle a couple days later post back here. I'm probably gonna go in tomorrow and try to replace mine.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback. We are currently looking into this and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
omarshahine

The rattle is due to the auto focus lens. If you switch from movie mode to camera mode on the 900 you can hear a click as the auto focus lens moves. This is the cause of the rattle. I've never had a phone that rattled like this. It sounds like an electric razor.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AZKid

I've certainly got an issue with my phone.  I did a quick video of the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a476GPv0BDs

Please use plain text.
Liver13

Just watched the video... mine has the rattle, but the click, click, click you're getting is insane.  Mine is super annoying, yours is totally unbearable.

Please use plain text.
wupolo

I am having the same problem. Spoke with Nokia chat and they told me to go and exchange it at the AT&T store. I went and the gentleman at AT&T let me look at his and 2 new ones from the box they all had the nasty rattle.  I called Nokia support and all they said was to go to the store and get a new one. Maybe i will wait a week or so for new inventory.

Nokia Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
xN1Cx

Nic from Canada - Have had my Nokia Lumia 900 for a couple days now and the rattle is unbearable.  It is coming from the camera lens for sure.  Even when I shake my phone slightly I can hear the hardware moving around.  Also as other have mentioned the rattle is very loud when the phone vibrates.  Have spoken to Rogers and they have told me to cancel my upgrade and wait for furthur notice from Nokia on new releases of the phone.  Not a happy camper....

Please use plain text.
psucale

Mine rattles, but it seems like it may be the tiny plastic lense cover. If I gently press the camera lens cover it "creeks". When you gently shake the phone along the axis of the camera, you can hear something clacking around too. It seems the camera area is the source of the rattle.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
erzhikkz

Same problem here. First time I noticed it when I was sitting in the library, phone on vibrate and I was listening to music on my laptop. All of a sudden a librarian who was sitting 15 feet away from me, comes up and says that my phone was too loud.

I checked it, was on vibrate so I was confused...until I received a message and heard how loud that vibrator really is. Installed "simple vibrator" and the noise is unbearable.

Please use plain text.