Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 900 Wifi Problem?

Advisor
wizll

ArchonData wrote:

I too have had this problem for some time and have worked around it by turning off my cellular data connection whenever I connect to Wifi. 

I noticed that the Tango update is being rolled out to Windows Phones, including the Lumia 900.  I have not yet received the update, but I was wondering if anyone else here has and if so, did it fix this Wifi connection problem?

Thanks!

Lumia 900 doesn't have the Tango update yet. The 900 actually has a different update that included things in Tango such as Internet Sharing and group thread mms. It's quite possible that the Tango version of IS is more stable whereas the 900's wp7 build has the quick thrown together IS, or maybe all these other Lumia phones that are getting Tango will now run into the same issue when they enable IS also. 

Please use plain text.
MinnesotaSteve

First off, thank you for this thread.

About two weeks ago we went to Chicago for the weekend, and having brought my laptop it was my first time turning on ICS since I bought the phone in April.  Needless to say I started having problems with Wifi after this point.

I was able to reset my phone and wifi is again working fine.

If this had happened on an iPhone, it'd be all over the national news and we'd have a fix by now.  Microsoft has already abandoned the Lumia 900 it seems.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
wizll

hello nokia.

anyone there? we have already identified exactly how to reproduce this issue with 100% results. please acknowledge and fix, bring this issue to Microsoft if it's they're problem, but at least let us know where this issue stands. It's absurd that the ones who are paying an extra 20 dollars a month have this issue and have to play chicken with turning off cell data radios in order for wifi to work reliably.

Please use plain text.
ArchonData

As much as I love Windows Phone and the Lumia 900 in particular, I gotta say that I don't see a fix likely until they release Windows Phone 7.8.  Nokia developers are probably focussing their efforts on their software products for the impending launch of Windows Phone 8.

Note that this is just conjecture with no basis in fact.  But it's something I would totally expect from a business perspective.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dirtbound

I agree with you that this is the most probable scenario... But this really NEEDS to be addressed by that update.

If it doesn't happen with 7.8 it won't happen on these legacy devices at all. Which is why I think it should be occasionally brought back to the attention of Nokia and Microsoft by those of us that are dealing with the problem.

I choose to comment on these threads and on occasion blast out a reminder to the @NokiaUS, @NokiaCareUS & @WindowsPhone twitter accounts so that 'hopefully' it is bouncing around in the back of someone's mind during a meeting or something.

Finger crossed... I CAN deal with this until my contract is up, but like all of us I would PREFER it be resolved.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RFNAPLES

For what it's worth, I had the same problems with my original 900 and used the same workaround successfully. When my phone went dead and I got a rebuilt phone the Wi-Fi problem no longer was there! Perhaps it is a hardware problem after all.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nick_bishop

I would just like to include my voice on this problem.  My L900 also suffers from this very annoying connectivity problem.  Hopefully Nokia is paying attention to the voices of its customers.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jsminch

I'm having the same problem. I love my phone, but I don't feel that I can recommend it to anyone as long as it has this really, really frustrating problem.

And after watching how Nokia has (not) handled this problem I doubt either my wife or I will be buying a Nokia phone again any time in the near future.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hysonmb

I have the same problem. I flip airplane mode on and off again to resolve each time it happens.

I'm not going to say tha Nokia isn't listening, they've supported Windows Phone more than any other OEM, but this is frustrating sometimes.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nick_bishop

An Update:

Yesterday afternoon my wife and I were in our local AT&T store trying to address an issue with her iPhone*cough* (unfortunately, I cannot break her away).  After finishing that, I asked the in-store Rep if he'd heard of this issue.  He said that he hadn't personally heard of the problem, but that he would check.  After a minute or two typing on his PC, he explained that "they" were aware of the issue and that a software fix was coming.  Not wanting to push the subject further, I didn't ask for elaboration.  So, I'm assuming that AT&T, and logically, Nokia know of the problem, and that they're working on fixing the issue.

Cross your fingers!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
wizll

tango on the way. will it fix this issue??! =P

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RoarinRow

Seems like the new firmware has fixed the issue?  Can anyone else confirm?  My new OS version is 7.10.8779.8 and firmware ending in 12223.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dirtbound

I certainly hope so... I will be performing some tests tonight when I get home... Maybe at lunch depending on the location I decide to eat and if WiFi is in range. :-)

Fingers Crossed 

Please use plain text.
sklinger

Been running for an hour on the "Tango" update.  Turned on Internet Sharing and connected a device and then turned off Internet Sharing.  So far I have not seen the slow down!

If this continues to work, thanks Nokia/MS/ATT for addressing this issue.  It took a while (5 months), but better late than never. :thumbup:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dirtbound

Got to use WiFi while connected to Cell Data when I was out at lunch. Got about 20 minutes of non-stop data connectivity and everything looks good.

I will stress test it a lot more tonight at home.

The question now is whether this was a fix in the "Tango OS" update or the "Nokia Windows Phone" update. Since there were three parts to the update it's tough to know.

However, since Internet Connection Sharing was brought to other devices/manufacturers via the Tango update I am assuming that it was a MS fix.

In any case as long as this stays solid, I am a happy customer.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
erikread

Noticed the Tango update was out today so I dusted off my 900, took the SIM out of my iPhone, put it in my 900, and updated it. So far so good. I used tethering for a little while last night and then just played around. Again, no problems so far. 

Please use plain text.
ParrotHeadFL

The problem doesn't actually require tethering to manifest itself; I've had the issue repeatedly on my phone, even after rebooting and not turning ICS on.

But so far so good since yesterday's update. Fingers crossed...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dirtbound

@ParrotHeadFL ICS was found by the vast majority of us to be the exact root cause of the problem.

"Rebooting and not using ICS" was proven to "not" be a solution months ago.

The only way previously to prevent the problem was to, 1. Perform "reset" on the 900 (not a reboot) 2. Never use ICS after that "reset" (that means never toggle the switch even once)

After those steps were followed the problem would not occur again until after ICS was initiated, after which even a "reboot and not using ICS" would not fix the issue.

In truth it doesn't really matter anymore, but for the sake of historical accuracy on this issue I just wanted to clarify.
Please use plain text.
ParrotHeadFL

Thanks for the clarification. My understanding was that most people experienced the problem shortly after using ICS (not just for the first time--ANY time).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dirtbound

No problem... I think there were a lot of people interpreting it in different ways.

A while back I did a week long test to pinpoint the problem (based on other peoples findings) and was able to reliably use WiFi while on Cell Data for a full week with no problems. That was after resetting my 900 and intentionally NOT using ICS (this was painful) :-(

However it seemed to prove (at least for the majority) that this was the cause of our issues.

Here's a link to the YouTube video I made at the end of that 1 week test... the video captures the performance of WiFi while connected to Cell Data and then captures the first time toggle of ICS and the subsequent return of the Data Connectivity issues. (In hind site I probably should have also rebooted the phone for the sake of demonstration but 11+ minutes of video was already long enough) :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=GP7bWKzFyww

At the time I thought this was a Lumia 900 only problem, but as has been pointed out by several viewers and others in this and other forums it appears that this was a Windows Phone Mango issue as other users reported identical behavior on different hardware/manufacturers.

I'm just glad this is behind us at this point. I'll be updating the YouTube description to indicate this as a resolved issue as of Tango.

Please use plain text.