Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 900 Wifi Problem?

Registered Member
AaronChow

Lumia 900 Wifi Problem?

I wonder if anyone is having some strange WiFi problems with their Lumia 900.

When my Lumia 900 is connected to my house's WiFi (airport extreme), it will connect fine.  However, when my phone goes to sleep (or when I don't use the connection for awhile), I can't connect to the web even though my phone saids that it is still connected to the network.  It seems like some other people are also having the problem.  http://forums.wpcentral.com/lumia-900-ace/189504.htm

Sometimes a soft-reset will fix the problem, and sometimes it will take some time before I can browse the web with my WiFi network.  I tested with my other phones / laptops / PDAs, so I am sure that it is not my router's problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PARASASER

Re: Lumia 900 Wifi Problem?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AaronChow

Thanks for pointing out your thread.

However, I think mine is a little different.  I still get notifications while my phone goes to sleep.  But when I wake up my phone, I can't browse the web at all.  I suspect that the WiFi was turned off when my phone goes to sleep, but when my phone wakes up, it still think that it is connected to the WiFi router (which, in fact, it isn't anymore), so whenever I try to browse the web, it simply waits for a non-existed WiFi network to transmit the data.

My work-around is either to soft-reset my phone, or I have to delete my router's information and then re-connect to my WiFi router...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sklinger

I also am seeing this problem. I am not sure if this is related to the already acknowledge data problems, but when I am on wifi and also have mobile data toggled on, data just grinds to a halt on occasion. The fix for me is to toggle off mobile data, but this isn't ideal due to the windows phone wifi sleep policy. Turning off wifi leaves me using my ATT bandwidth. Restarting the phone also works, but that is a little more time consuming and usually results in the problem coming back shortly after.

Is there some sort of negotiation problem/bug between wifi and cellular data?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jhoff80

Same issue here, and it was NOT fixed with today's 'data fix' update.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

sounds more like you are waking a person who is sleep walking. they have no idea of what is going on, or where they are, or what they are doing....Stop scaring your phone.lol
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JBurch175

I am also seeing the issue after the upgrade. The issue is better, but still exists. I hope they fix it soon.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
oldgreygeek

I purchased the phone yesterday.  Worked fine on WiFi in the store.  We have G and N here at the house .  Been playing with the phone almost continiously since yesterday and have had no issues with WiFi.  Phone is very quick on the N side actually faster than the boy's Iphone 4s.  On g seems a tad faster, but no problems except my unhappiness with the camera.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lumia_900_Cyan

[ Edited ]

i'm experiencing similar problems after the update...  when WiFi is on and LTE, apps that need internet access to start (like ESPN, etc) time out.  If I turn off the WiFi, no problems connecting.  With Wifi on and LTE 4 bars, Web sites load, but never quite finish - extra long time to finish loading.  Turn off WiFi and the same sites load quickly.

Seems that since the update this has been happening all the time - when the device is connected to a wifi network, data connectivity is unreliable.

I;ve been calling AT&Tabout this - they don't seem to want to do anything about it.,  I would hope that Microsoft and Nokia realize what's at stake - this problem seems to me that the software update didn't work - it just changed things a little, but not nearly enough.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RFNAPLES

I'm having the same problem mentioned by Lumia_900_Cyan.  Called Nokia and AT&T, Nokia wanted me to do a reset or trade phone in.  AT&T couldn't understand why it was behaving that way.  Said they would call me back this afternoon!  (It's dark now but maybe it is afternoon somewhere in the world).

Nokia, AT&T and Microsoft: Admitt problem and fix!  Your earlier 'fix' only increased the time between failures.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jhoff80

I'm even more convinced this is a software issue now, after spending the last 4 hours with Wifi on and LTE/cellular data off, and not having the issue a single time.

However, it's not really a solution to have to switch back and forth between the two manually each time.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RFNAPLES

Nokia Lumia 900 WiFi Bug

[ Edited ]

While MTBF has increased, frequently I have to reboot or turn off WiFi.  LTE works but WiFi often just sits there.  Tried installing update, adding APN, deleting history, calling and writing  AT&T and Nokia.  Besides reset or trade-in, any suggestions?

Baseline information:

• Phone Manufacturer: Nokia
  • Phone Model: Nokia Lumia 900
  • Carrier: AT&T
  • Software: Windows Phone 7.5
  • OS Version: 7.10.8112.7
  • Firmware revision number: 2175.100, 2.8112.12084
  • Hardware revision number: 112.1914.2.0
  • Radio software version: 2.1.75.10
  • Radio hardware version: 8055
  • Bootloader version: 7.17.2.0
  • Chip SOC version: 0.85.2.1
  • IMEI: 359746040320496
  • Product code: RM-808
  • Zune software version: 4.8.2345.0
  • Computer Operating System version: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wizll

jhoff80 wrote:

I'm even more convinced this is a software issue now, after spending the last 4 hours with Wifi on and LTE/cellular data off, and not having the issue a single time.

However, it's not really a solution to have to switch back and forth between the two manually each time.

I'm having similar issues with wifi. It seems like having both cell data and wifi on at the same time is causing it some issues. Wifi would work right after connecting when I wake up the phone. After a minute or two it almost seems like data no longer flows but wifi connection icon looks connected. A minute or so later and it'll work for a bit. It keeps being intermittent like this and produces a slowish experience. This never happened with my previous windows phone. If I have them side by side the other windows phone will always beat it. I have also tried what you did where I turn off cell data service (I get 4 bar lte btw). Switch to airplane mode, then turn on wifi. Wen I do this, wifi is fast and consistent. When testing against my other windows phone, it's neck and neck in loading web pages. Given that, I too believe this to be some software issue of possibly hardware if the radios are interfering with each other. It would be nice to hear from Nokia before I go to AT&T and have to deal with explaining to them my problem and testing a bunch of replacements.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks for your reports and feedback, this has been forwarded and will be looked into. If I have any information I can share with you on this I will do so here. In the meantime thanks for your patience!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
DigitalCasper

Thanks for reporting this, I am running into exactly same problem even after the update. hopefully Nokia will send an update soon.
Please use plain text.
DigitalCasper

One thing i have noticed is whenever the problem occurs, checking devices status on my router shows that my phone is connected through ethernet instead of wifi.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Alodar1

Yeah, seeing something very similar. Don't disconnect, but the pages won't load. Only occurs 1 in 10/15 times and only on certain pages. Everything else works. If I switch over to 4g, I never get the issue. But once I reach the issue on WIFI, all pages go blank. For me, it seems to trigger on the old Twitter page and the XDA page.

Glad to see its reported.
Please use plain text.
goose2731

I am having the same issues while conecting to Wifi. The phone shows that I am connected to Wifi but the data connection often becomes unresponsive and will not load web pages or apps at all.

If you turn the airplane mode on and the wifi on it will connect fine and provide normal speeds, but this will not really solve the issue since you can't receive phone calls or text messages.

The 4G LTE speeds are great but if I didn't have the 5GB data plan I would run out of data fast since my Wifi hardly ever works.

I love Windows Phone and think this would be a great phone if there weren't so many bugs. Looks like we may be Smartphone Beta Testers after all.

Please use plain text.
DigitalCasper

@goose2731. i am sorry but i dont agree with you, i have owned 2 windows phone before, HTC HD7 and Samsung Focus S, and none of which experienced this problem in my home wireless network, nokia lumia 900 is the only one with the problem, as all this carry same operating system, I would say problem is in nokia hardware/firmware and not in windows phone mango software,
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wizll

[ Edited ]

goose2731: A slightly different workaround that doesn't completely turn off the cell network is to just turn off the data connection of the cell network.
Settings -> System -> cellular -> switch Data connection to off.

There are also a bunch of apps out there that will let you pin wifi/bluetooth/cellular data on your start screen to quickly flip the setting on and off as well. Here are a couple:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/apps/50d96319-ba4a-42f8-8117-279fadaa10f3 - free

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/apps/96e6649a-5582-45a3-9c5b-a71881e18334 - 99cents

Since this leaves the cell network connected, you'll still receive calls and sms. It also leads me to believe that this is definitely some sort of firmware issue. before when i had turned off cell network completely, there was still a possibility that the radios interfered with one another.

So here's my results from different settings that will probably help Nokia identify the issue and fix it.

• Cell Network Data enabled (LTE in my case) + wifi enabled = wifi should be handling all data transactions, so browsing a webpage or streaming music should go through the wifi. That is the case, however, the data connection is NEVER stable. webpages would either take forever to load or simply connection time out. music streaming will also take forever to load and when it did it would only play what was buffered then pause and try to buffer more (poor connectivity). asynchronous games that need to sync with servers are also extra slow and takes several retries.
  • Cell Network Data enabled + wifi disabled = all data connectivity through cell service's data service (3g,4g,LTE) works fine. (especially after the latest update)
  • Airplane mode (turn off all connections), Cell Network Disabled + Turn wifi ON = all data connectivity through wifi as expected, very fast, works like it should work always, no slowdowns or connection time outs.
  • Cell Network On + Cell Data connection OFF + wifi ON = all data connectivity through wifi. This also works like the bullet above, but with the added benefit of having Calls and SMSs still available. fast wifi speed, no slowdowns or connection time outs (Recommended solution as instructed in the beginning of this post)

The bolded bullet point is basically the settings that are causing wifi connectivity problems. At least that is the case with my phone. As I've said before, this was never a problem with my HTC Arrive or Samsung Focus. The first bullet is also what I would imagine 99% of all users who have a smart phone would have configured if they turn on wifi. They will likely never go turn off their cell network or data connection unless they are out of country. If you're in your cell coverage, then you'll most likely have your cell network and cell data connections on. And if you're somewhere where you can enable wifi for better speeds, then you'll just turn that on as the phone should be "smart" enough to realize that you want to use wifi for your data. Unfortunately that is the scenario that appears to be causing the issue, and for me, the most inconvenient. I really shouldn't need to go into settings to turn off my cell data connection just so I can use the wifi normally.

Please use plain text.