Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 900 freezes while charging

Registered Member
rubenreyes

Lumia 900 freezes while charging

I am observing the following issue with my Nokia Lumia 900 while charging. The issue happens when the phone's battery has just died and the phone turns off. If I plug the charger to the phone right at that time the screen will cycle between black - showing a battery sign - and showing an all white screen.... Then black again. The cycle can go forever. The first time it happened I left the phone plugged for 3 hours. I thought it was going to power up but it never did, and the battery was not charged at all. While this is happening the phone doesnt respond to any buttons. Even if I hold the power button for long there is no response. While this happens the 3 on-screen buttons (back / home / search) are lit. The only way I have been able to stop the cycle is to unplug it and wait several minutes. Then I can plug again and start charging.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
StevenK22

Re: Lumia 900 freezes while charging

This is happening to me as well. Battery fully drained, left on charger for a few hours and won't boot past the AT&T screen.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bduse

I have only had my phone for 4 days and I am experiencing this EXACT same thing.  My phone is not charging though.  HELP

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Hanela

I have had 2 Lumia 900s with the same failures in 2 days.  Going to get my 3rd again tonight.  I want to wipe out the battery at the store and see if it come alive.  If I can't fully exhaust the battery and then bring it back then what's the point of the phone?  All phone batteries will eventually die and need to be charged.  I think their is a firmware update needed to resolve this issue.  Just establish a huge guard band on the battery voltage if needed to ensure you don't take it to the grave without a possibility of resurection.

Please use plain text.
theninthcloud

I am experiencing the same issue: I fully drained the battery and now I am charging it and cannot get it past the AT&T screen.

I am not using the original charger though - I am using a portable iGo charger that has worked effectively to charge my work phone - an HTC Thunderbolt. I don't think this should have an effect though, are you guys using the Nokia charger and experiencing hte same issue?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
omszz

I'm having exactly this identical problem, and haven't figured out how to get the phone to start anymore.  I tried original charger/cable, connected to PC, tried other charges.  All same result - screen is sometimes blank, then sometimes has ATT logo, and then shows low battery icon.  It just keeps cycling through these states but won't start.

Will try to unplug for 15 minutes and see if that method helps.  Its very dissappointing, this is my second Lumia 900, first one was returned within 30 days for freezing during use.  Now this one is freezing when charging.

I hope Nokia does something to help repair the taint its going to get from pervasive quality issues like these.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
omszz

Went to AT&T store. Representative there said they've had several other folks come in within the last week with the same problem and had to have their phones replaced under warranty. Suggested I do the same as they had no solution. There is a suspicion that the phone update which went out recently is bricking these phones.
Please use plain text.
GTTG

[ Edited ]

One workaround...

When this happens I leave it to charge and cycle for about 5 minutes.  Then I unplug it and reboot it by keeping the power button pressed.  Hopefully this will allow it to have just enough juice to power into the OS and most like give you the "Battery power critically low" message.  At this time I quickly stick the power cord back in and you should hear the family tone that the charger has been connected.  If instead after the reboot you get a Goodbye message and it turns off then you need to leave the charger in for longer before trying the reboot without the power cord.

One other thing I'm trying is to plug it into Zune to see if that makes a difference - but I don't have a definite process for this yet.

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
valleyforge

Same thing happened with my 900. First charge = black screen. Nothing.

Retailer called it "ELF" and is off to Nokia to be confirmed, then replaced.

First 900 I had was fine, but always powered up when I charged it. Kinda annoying as I like to have my phone off at night and charge it at night.

If no-one died or got sued, it's an OK day
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ahs57

I am also having the same problem. My shiny blinky Lumia 900 died 2 months after I bought it and I have tried everything - plugging the power cord into an electric outlet (which was when I first discovered the problem) - nothing. Plugged it into a USB port on my PC - nothing. Tried to reboot by pressing the volume button at the same time as I pressed the power and camera buttons - nothing. I can't get past the AT&T Rethink Possible screen on the phone. So now what I have is a paperweight in a very attractive shade of blue.... I called Nokia support and they were no help....

Please use plain text.
angerr123

Well I'm sorry to hear about everyone's battery issues, but interested to hear I'm not the only one.  Very frustrating especially when you call Nokia and are on hold for 45 minutes just because you asked to speak with someone who speaks clear enough English to be understood and understands English enough to comprehend what you're talking about.  I will be so happy when my contract for this phone is up so I can go back to a Blackberry which I had no problems with except those that were inflicted by me when I dropped it and broke the roll ball or constantly had it in my back pocket while driving and eventually damaged the keys on one side of the keyboard.  Anyway off to the Rogers store to have it shipped back to Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sorange

I think if you hold down the power button for 10 seconds it will boot and be OK. That has happened to me and that was the fixer.

Please use plain text.
noejfh

I'm having exactly this identical problem... 

show me some tips please, thanks! Happy New Year... 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dennistexas

exact same problem everyone else is having with the freezing on the ATT screen

Please use plain text.
krys0520

Nokia Lumia 900 and it NOT freaking charging, even with a newly installed charge port.

...I am beyond frustrated with this issue that soooooo many paying customers are having, including myself. I had had my Nokia Lumia 900 for 3 months or so, with no issues- I was in love with this phone! (Still am, minus a huge set back..) I got home from work one night, put my phone on the charger, went to bed-- woke up the next a.m, and my phone had less charge than what it had had the night before..... i wiggled the charger around, changed outlets, let it 'rest' off the charger for a little while... Then, when none of the above worked, I went and bought a brand new home AND car charger, plugged it in- nothing- a flicker of light across the screen every once in awhile- but that was it.... So, i took it up to the AT&T store, and because i am a prepaid AT&T customer( for 9 years now!)-not a contract holding AT&T customer, they had no interest at all in my "bad luck".... and referred me to a store that bought and sold used cell phones, telling me I could "probably get 40$ from them for your phone".... wow. (is what i thought at that time, and still what i think about their 'customer service')... After a full day with my sister, driving around Springfield, Mo, and stopping at many cell phone stores, computer shops, etc-our last stop was at Davis Cellular on Battlefield & Campbell... (AWESOME AMAZING EMPLOYEES, by the way :smileyhappy: A rep. explained to me the many possibilities it could be keeping it from charging, but that he would have to open it up and look at it, and that would take a few days,that he would call me-on my sisters phone- to let me know what the deal was.... (I live 2.5 hrs east of Springfield-fyi :smileyhappy:..... On the 3rd or 4th day he called me and told me my charge port felt a lil' loose and that it needed replaced. Fine right?!... Nope... Apparently its not an easy part to find... 3 weeks or so in, they find the charge port they need.... in the UK, double the price- Still annoyed, but very appreciative of the employees and their compassion towards me the day i 1st walked in there all frazzled and on the verge of tears- I told him to go ahead and order it, lol- Im ready to have my phone back ...:smileyhappy:... 2 weeks and 3 days after him ordering the part, it finally arrives, its installed, and i get the phone call that i can come pick up my phone. (yeah, i was thinking)... My next day off was 2 days after that, go pick it up.... it works! I was stoked!... Until f'ng today!!!! My battery dies in middle of a phone call- i plug it in, wait... NOTHING!!! AGAIN!! Unbelieveable.. This is ridiculous, and especially since so many ppl are having the exact same problems!! I don't know what to do at this point.... Please help me... someone... anyone.

Please use plain text.
krys0520

Re: Nokia Lumia 900 and it NOT freaking charging, even with a newly installed charge port.

oh- and ya, I picked my phone up with the new charge port installed July 8th.... Its August 5th.... Really??????

Please use plain text.
vee22

I am having the same issue. My Lumia 900 completely dies on me on our way back from Santa Cruz on Saturday as it was out of juice. I plugged it in as soon as we got home, thinking it would charge but it hasn't and it's Tuesday morning now and it still hasn't charged. I get the 3 bottom lights, then the white screen, then the nokia sign then the AT&T "Rethink Possible" logo and then it goes black and starts this lop again. This is the first time I've let my gone completely die so I've never seen this before but I guess from reading all the posts that this is a common fault and there is no solutions? I've tried unplugging, re-plugging, holding the power button, holding power and volume down button, holding power, volume down and camera button etc etc...it's still looping.I need help, any suggestions?

Please use plain text.