Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 900 specs?

Advisor
ricke
Accepted Solution

Lumia 900 specs?

[ Edited ]

For the 22 years I've owned a cell phone I've NEVER owned a non-Nokia phone and I don't really want to look else where for my next phone, but I want/need some of the conveinences/features contained in my current Nokia 5800 XpressMusic phone.

I have been waiting for the Lumia 900 to be released since it was announced and just yesterday I read the specs for it.  However, I still have some questions about the 900:

What Bluetooth profiles does it ship with?

Will it sync with Zune via Bluetooth?

Does the Zune software, or some other software, allow SMS messaging through the phone from a PC?

Is the Zune software as comprehensive, or more so, as the Nokia Suite software I use with my Symbian based 5800?

The specs indicate the phone has two microphones ... why?

The specs list the model number of the battery.  And, that the phone has unibody construction.  Is the battery user replaceable?

Will the 900 be upgradable to Windows Phone 8, when its released, or will the 900 be stuck/orphaned with 7.5?

There was no mention of TV out connectivity.  Was that an omission fromt the specs ... or, does it really not have it?

Thanks,

Rick

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

[ Edited ]

Hi Ricke,

Thank you for your post and a welcome to the Nokia forums!

You can find a detailed specifications for the Lumia 900 below:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-lumia-900/specifications

Or alternatively you can look here:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/Lumia_900/

To find out about the Zune software have a look at the below link:

http://www.zune.net/en-gb/products/software/default.htm

You won't be able to sync the device with the Zune software via Bluetooth.

The battery on the Lumia 900 is not user replaceable.

Whether the Lumia 900 will be upgradable to Windows 8 we currently don't have any information on this.

The Lumia series of devices currently don't have a TV out.

Hope this answer's your questions.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ricke

Thanks Raoul_Duke for the links.

The Europe spec page had more information on it than the US spec page did and I was able to find some of the information I was seeking from them.  I downloaded and installed the Zune software, but I can’t really see all the options unless there is a Windows Phone connected.

What Bluetooth profiles does it ship with?

*A2DP 1.2, AVCTP 1.0, AVDTP 1.0, AVRCP 1.0, AVRCP 1.3, GAVDP 1.2, HFP 1.5, HSP 1.1, PBAP 1.0, RFCOMM 1.0

Will it sync with Zune via Bluetooth?

*Apparently no, but it will sync via wifi.

Does the Zune software, or some other software, allow SMS messaging through the phone from a PC?

*Apparently not – bummer!

Is the Zune software as comprehensive, or more so, as the Nokia Suite software I use with my Symbian based 5800?

*Apparently not – bummer!

The specs indicate the phone has two microphones ... why?

*I still don’t know!

The specs list the model number of the battery.  And, that the phone has unibody construction.  Is the battery user replaceable?

*Definitely not – bummer!

Will the 900 be upgradable to Windows Phone 8, when it’s released, or will the 900 be stuck / orphaned with 7.5?

*If it’s not, this could be a deal killer.  Why buy a brand new phone only to have the OS rendered obsolete in about 6 months and for there to not be a path for upgrade. I suspect that Microsoft’s resources will be spent on upgrading the feature set for Windows Phone 8, thereby creating an orphan out of a brand new Lumia 900.  That would really be unfortunate!

There was no mention of TV out connectivity.  Was that an omission from the specs ... or, does it really not have it?

*Definitely not – bummer!

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Please use plain text.
luxsphinx

Maybe it's because I'm in the US (assuming these things are common elsewhere), but why do I keep seeing people ask about TV out support? I've never really encountered that as a feature on a phone before, at least not as a feature that was advertised.  I don't see it being of too much real use, particularly with so many TV's coming out that have WiFi built-in/add-on or ethernet connectivity. All my photos and whatnot are sent to the cloud (as cliche as that sounds) for backup and can just be streamed on the TV without connecting a phone. I also don't understand wanting to send SMS from PC when you could just use the phone or an IM client on the PC.  

I suppose everyone has their own ways of getting things done and different things available to them. I am curious to know some practical uses of these features though, it might even make my life easier. At the very least, it is always nice to know how other people do things.

I am also disappointed about the battery being non-user replaceable despite being as large as it is. That is pretty much the only thing making me hesitate about getting a 900 - along with AT&T's complete lack of ability when it comes to updating phones or even knowing anything about the devices they are selling.

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

Personally I used the TV /AV out to connect to my audio unit in my car giving me a 7 inch screen for the sat nav and a much better display for using with music player as the TV/AV out stayed on when the phone display turned off so was very nice, was disappointed when I found out I could no longer do this with the Lumia and guess it is almost certainly a hardware limitation so I'm never going to be able to do this again until I change phones again :-(

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ricke

MrOddJob thanks for your reply,

That was a great idea to connect the phone to an external monitor for GPS navigation use.  I should have thought of that!

Are you by chance now using a Lumia 900 phone?  If so, I have a few questions for you.

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ricke

luxsphinx thanks for your reply.

I also am in the US and I travel a lot and the TV out feature is great in that I can connect my Nokia 5800 to my PC via USB, see the phone, and it's memory card, as additional hard disks (which is not available on the Lumia 900), copy a couple of movies to the MicroSD card (which is definitely not available on the Lumia 900), get to the hotel at my destination, plug in the TV out cable which was supplied with the phone and watch a movie of my choice on the big screen in 16:9 Hi-Res.

As for the ability to send SMS while connected to the PC ... I get/send a lot of text messages and if I'm at my desk PC, or on the road on my laptop, I just plug the phone into the computer, open Nokia Suite software, sync the messages and any new messages that come are displayed in a popup window in the lower right hand corner of the screen.  I can click on the popup window, the message opens up and I can read and reply on the full sized screen and via the full sized keyboard, click send and I'm back to work again without having to touch the phone ... or, it's tiny keyboard.  Since all SMS messages are received and sent via the phone (albeit through a USB cable, or via Bluetooth).  (Bluetooth data transfer is also not available on the Lumia 900).  When I unplug and leave my desk, all the message history goes with me, unlike when through an IM client (which, while also convenient when at the desk, leaves the message history at the desk as I think a PC client would use a phone number that is different than the number of the cell phone).

Additionally, the Nokia Suite software allows viewing, editing and synchronizing contacts DIRECTLY with Outlook (no cloud involved), viewing and synchronizing pictures, backing up the phone's settings and software, browsing the app store, updating firmware and apps, playing/purchasing music, and downloading and updating maps.  The Nokia Suite software allows for some real conveniences.  The "new" system for the Lumia 900 has NO WAY to back up the phone's settings at all ... that I've been able to determine anyway.  Files get backed up to "the cloud" eating up the data plan, or maybe through a data cable to Zune.  I don't know yet about firmware updates or map updates via a data cable, or if they have to eat up the data plan also.  Since I don't have a Windows Phone yet, I can't see what Zune is capable of.

As far as I can find out the Zune software allows an interface for manipulating and synchronizing media (music, video and pictures) and that's about all.  There doesn't appear to be a way to copy anything to the Lumia 900's memory directly through a computer's file management program. (Windows Explorer), and that's ridiculous!

I know I'm just used to my 3 year old Nokia 5800, but the lack of features in the Lumia 900, that I've grown accustomed to in my 5800, are NUMEROUS!  I'm having a difficult time seeing this as "progress".

I know what you're saying regarding the battery issue.  My 5800 has a replaceable battery. And, on occasion I have to insert my "standby" battery to keep going for the rest of the day till I can get to a charger.  I'm now faced with looking at charging EVERY chance I get ... and/or buying one of the external battery packs as a backup power supply till I can get to a charger.  That is "if" I get a Lumia 900.  This just really sucks that I feel like I'm having to "settle" for so much less than what Nokia has made me accustomed to, in order to have their "new - top of the line - flagship?" cell phone!!!

I think you're mistaken about AT&T's "inability" to issue updates.  AT&T is the world's largest communications company.  They are definitely "able" to issue an update.  What it really comes down to is ... they are unwilling, for whatever reason, to issue updates in a timely manner, if at all!  There was a rumor/discussion about Nokia forcing the service providers to issue "at least every other" firmware update produced by the manufacturer.  But, it now sounds like AT&T has won out and they don't "have to" issue any updates, if they don't want to.  I can't imagine that could be good for Nokia, as improvements ... and stability fixes ... are now up to AT&T.  So, the end user experience will suffer and Nokia's brand will be tarnished, when in fact, the fault lies with the service provider AT&T.  **bleep**!

ANY new top of the line Nokia, or any other manufacturer's, "smartphone" should be able to transfer files/data/tether via Bluetooth.  I'm neither a software, nor a hardware, engineer ... but, how difficult can it be to add a Bluetooth profile ... or two?

A top of the line Nokia "smartphone" should be able to connect to a PC with Nokia Suite (via both Bluetooth and data cable) for synchronization, image and SMS backup, data transfer AND for SMS messaging via the PC's full size keyboard.  In these respects I was hoping the Lumia 900 would be at least as advanced as my 3 year old Nokia 5800, but it's NOT!  Also, a camera that is at least as good as the iPhone camera should be a given.  From some images I've seen posted in other forums, I'm not so sure that the Lumia 900's camera is as good ... in lower lux environs.  It seems to do a good job when there's a lot of light around though.

The Lumia 900 certainly is nice to look at, and it feels nice to hold, ... but, it is lacking some very BASIC features, at least to me.

I also think there should be some definitive information issued by either Microsoft, and/or Nokia, regarding the availability of an upgrade path to the new Windows Phone 8 OS that is due out in just a few months.  Should we really be expected to buy a phone that will have an orphaned OS in a matter of months?

Since my first cell phone, 20 years ago!, I've NEVER owned a non-Nokia phone.  I don't want an iPhone.  I don't want an Android phone.  I want another Nokia phone!  I've been waiting for the Lumia 900 for months.  But, I'm sorely disappointed that the Lumia 900 has been short changed in its feature set.

I don't know whether the fault lies with the Microsoft's Windows Phone 7.5 OS, or with Nokia's hardware, or both.  But, these issues MUST be fixed, or Microsoft AND Nokia will lose/not gain the market share they both are vying for.

In the current cell phone market, it would seem to me, that for OS and hardware makers, it's all about differentiating yourself from your competitors.  Microsoft's Windows Phone OS is competing with both Apple's iOS and Google's Android, neither of which are light-weights. Nokia is competing with a plethora of fine hardware manufacturers.  Even though Nokia is the largest cell phone manufacturer in the world, they only have a fraction of the smartphone market.  Unfortunately, I don't currently see the crippled Microsoft WP/Lumia lineup changing that.  Maybe Microsoft and Nokia are OK with that ... after all, iOS is laden with limitations for it's users, and purchasers flock to it because of the fine hardware, almost bullet proof iOS ... and all the apps.  Android, while offering more flexibility than iOS and WP offer, is making a move toward less flexibility (like the others have already done) to reduce/eliminate fragmentation of the OS.  Perhaps that is the end goal for MS and Nokia ... cripple the OS, limit the user and limit the hardware's functionality, but ... make it beautiful, and hope that we will flock to it.

Sorry, I know this a probably a lot more than you ever wanted to know, but I suppose I just had to vent all the frustrations that have been building up since I've been looking into the specs for the my much anticipated Lumia 900.

All I know is ... I'm sorely disappointed ... and, for the first time ever, ... I'm re-evaluating whether, or not, to buy another Nokia phone.  How sad!

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jleholeho1

[ Edited ]

Get Nokia N9...
after the last FW update (PR1.2), it`s definitely the best Nokia product ever...evaluated by a lot of people around the world...

only unfortunate thing is that degenerate Nokia management deliberately threw it away and sold their souls to Microsoft...though some financial results showed extreme hunger for N9 worldwide, Nokia said NO, we`ll carry on with WP...let`s see what the verdict will be like in a few years...
the Lumias are just the first Nokia`s WP shot, with plenty of bugs and restricted usage...if you get one, be prepared to be disappointed, even Symbian is a lot more user-friendly...
Battery issues, totally **bleep** connectivity (no Bluetooth FT whatsoever, no USB Mass Storage), even the lock screen is empty, bad camera software, Maps/Drive still problematic, etc, etc....just read another threads at this forum about Lumia line issues...
Until some market-breaking dual/quad core, HD screen, PureView camera WP8 Nokia phone comes out, the N9 is by far the best Nokia experience you can get for money...
I`m sure majority of "honest" Nokia employees would agree...

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

@ricke

Yes I'm now using a lumia 800 so dissapointed that I can no longer use this feature :-(

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ricke

MrOddJob, what phone did you move to the Lumia 800 from?

And, apart from the lack of a video out feature, have you found anything else that, had you known before you got the Lumia 800, would have caused you to rethink your decision to get one?

I'm still toiling over moving into one of the the "Big three ecosystems", or staying on the periphery in order to have the features I desire.

Thanks,

Rick
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

@ ricke

Nothing major just lots of little things but if I’d have know about all these little things then I would not have got a Lumia 800 until these things had been put right, but from what I’ve been reading on this site and MS forum some of these issues will most likely not be changed. my previous phone was the Nokia N900 with 48G which I still have and use with another sim in it.

1. You cannot add custom alert tones, the ones that it comes with are far to quite to hear even in a moderately nosey environment and the vibrate only happens for a couple of seconds so I have to keep getting the phone out my pocket to check I’ve not missed anything.
  2. Very limited customization of the colour scheme would have like much more choose.
  3. When reading though contact details the font is very small and for me difficult to read, don’t have perfect vision so would have been nice to have been able to select a font more suitable for my visual ability or the ability to use pinch to zoom when viewing the contact details.
  4. Bluetooth file transfer missing and I really hope this one will be added as I used this a lot with my previous phone.
  5. No Nokia suit support you have to use Zune which is ok for transferring video’s and music but doesn’t help with anything else. Zune will only backup the phone when installing and update so this is the only time you can update the phone, from what I understand at the moment there is no way to back up the entire phone as and when you want to so that you don’t loose important SMS’s or MMS’s.
  6. No direct way to sync contacts and calendar with Outlook, you have to go round the houses to accomplish this so it is possible, just you would think a phone running Windows would sync with a PC running Windows?
  7. I did know when I brought the phone that it only had 16G of memory and it could not be expanded but thought that with the extra 25G of cloud storage you get with the Windows live account if you set one up would be ok. From my own personal experience of using the cloud it does not work, I live in the middle of the UK and most of the time don’t get a good HSDPA “think that’s the one” I only get the EDGE data connection most of the time so for me this makes the cloud useless as I was hoping to put my music collection on the cloud then just stream it to my phone when driving or at my work sites but it just keeps stopping to buffer when I tried it so gave up. Personally don’t think the mobile network is really ready for this yet as I’m sure there will be people in other countries that wont have any data coverage, so although this could be a good feature I feel its ahead of its time the mobile operators have yet to catch up the this feature to make it more usable and most important reliable. Just for an example there are a couple of places in my own town where I cant even get a phone signal at all so cant even make a call. I’m on VodafoneUKjust so you know. I’m really hoping Nokia bring out a 64G Lumia as this will give me the space I need to store everything on the phone so I will have no need for the cloud, Nokia gave this choose the N9 users so please do the same for the Lumia users, please please please Nokia.
  8.  There is no separate volume control, so if you are listening to some music at a low level and then stop and don’t turn the volume back up you wind up missing calls as the ringer is now set at the same volume.
  9. Personally I have not had a big issue with the battery like others have, it has always lasted 24 hours for me right from day one which was on launch day 16th November last year, with the latest update it is now comfortable lasting 2 days so I’m happy with that.
  10. On the photography side it would be best to speak to someone else as I would glass myself as just a happy snapper and I’m happy with the photos and video that I have taken with the phone.

Please don’t think I am just trying to knock the phone as it does have many many good points, this is just a few of them, love the speed everything works, scrolls very fast, apps launch pretty quick, I was not to sure about the live tiles but now I’ve used them they work really well, I cant comment on the social networking of the phone as I don’t use this feature of the phone. Like the screen very clear even in strong sun light, sits nicely in my hands and very easy to operate with just one hand except if you want to zoom in on something. Nokia maps very nice Nokia drive locks on to the satellite signals very quick like in just a few seconds even in doors, Drive still needs some more updating but with the last update now works very well, hoping Nokia will be combining drive and maps into one app as this will make the best satnav possible with the map features available then straight to drive there with voice guidance, this would change it from a good app to an awesome app, pretty please Nokia, Email handling very good and web browsing excellent and although I have set the browser to use the desktop version of the web site sometimes it still only uses the mobile version guess this is the fault of the web site not the phone, but as it so easy to navigate the websites with the phone even when you zoom in there is just no need to use the mobile version of the site.

As I said at the start of this post if I’d know about all of these things I would not have brought the phone when I did, I would have waited and just keep an eye on this and other forums till some of this things had been put right. I am happy with the phone but not as happy as I was when I first got as I discover each of these little issues that I personally have with the phone, there are some other little niggles that I have with the phone to but think this is enough to let you know my own personal feelings on the phone.

I’m sure that there are people on this forum with a far greater knowledge of the phone and may point out that some of the things I’ve mention are there on the phone. So I’m sure they will point this out in due coarse.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ricke

[ Edited ]

MrOddJob,

Thanks for your reply.  I wish your experience had been more positive with the Lumia 800.  I'm fearful the Lumia 900 might yield a similar experience for me. 

I'm thinking I might, either stick with the Nokia 5800 that I have, although I'm not really that happy with the 3 year old technology contained therein even though it has significantly more features than the Lumia series does, or "try out" the Lumia 900 ... as long as I can return it with no ill effects if I were to wind up disliking it more than my current 5800.

At jleholeho1's suggestion I have taken a look at the N9 ... and then, I looked the N8. 

I certainly liked what I saw regarding the feature sets in both phones.  My issue with both of those phones is the OS.  I'm fearful that both OS's are orphans. 

I'm currently running Symbian v5 on my 5800 and it's just fine, (just a very limited number of apps ... and not really any new ones being developed).  One of these two new phones runs MeeGo and the other is running Symbian Belle.  Both of which are I'm sure fine OS's.  I'm just concerned that neither is part of the big three ecosystems, and therefore, a very limited number of apps now and in the future. 

So, I really have to decide if I want ... features (without a plethora of apps) or, if I want one of the big three OS's, and hardware limitations, and lots of apps to pick from. 

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY WE CAN'T HAVE BOTH ... "FEATURES AND APPS"!!!  It appears to be the socialization of cellular telephone hardware.  So much for "differentiation"! 

I'm currently thinking the fault must lie with the OS makers (Microsoft, in this case), as we have all seen that Nokia is imminently capable of building OUTSTANDING hardware with a FULL set of features.  Unfortunately, they did not do so with regard to the Lumia line up.  Perhaps it is indeed the fault of the Windows Phone OS.  I don't know ... but, what I do know is ... it's disappointing.

Your insight has been very valuable, thank you!

Rick

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Please use plain text.