Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 900 stops handling txt msgs and maps are...

lambertian

Lumia 900 stops handling txt msgs and maps are black

After two or three charges my new (up to date) Lumia 900 stops sending/receiving text messages. The map app also appears black at every zoom level. However LTE signal is fine, I can receive phone calls, and use data to search for near-by restaraunts and overlay results over the black tileless map.

There is no visible indication that the phone is no longer sending/receiving txt messages.. other than an angry girlfriend.

Once in a while I open up the map app to see if its loading tiles. If not, I reboot the phone and everything returns to normal for a few days, and then problem comes back. It has been this way since I bought the phone three weeks ago.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Re: Lumia 900 stops handling txt msgs and maps are black

Could be a problem witht he phone or could be a problem with your provisioning. Call your provider tell them the issue and ask them if they can send a signal to reprovision the phone. Do it from another phone as they will probably tell you to turn the phone off and back on. See if that solves it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bigwavesurfer4

Yes,

simply restarting the phone solves the problem. However, this problem is a persistent problem. I don't want to have to restart my phone everyday just to get the maps to work correctly. Any other fixes?

Please use plain text.
rfc0001

I'm assuming all data isn't working when this happens?  (e.g. other internet connected apps, web browser, email).  Also, can you make calls when this happens?  I had a similiar issue where 3-4x a week my phone would loose all connectivity (phone, SMS, data).  Rebooting fixed it.  The weird thing is it would still show full bars on 4G, but eventually went to a no connection icon and stayed there.  The only fix was to reboot.  I reset device on network (reprovisioned by carrier), and replaced the sim (the carrier's troubleshooting), and issue persisted so they replaced it.  I'm 4 days in on new device with no issues, but not convinced (yet) this is device-specific and not just a bug that happens intermittently under certain scenarios.  For me, being in a low signal (e.g. basement) for a couple minutes seemed to be correlated to this happening.  The problem is you don't notice until you try and use the internet (i.e. maps app) then realize you have no data at all (e.g. no web browser), then realize you can't make calls or receive texts.  Hours may have passed without you being available (and no, this isn't due to actually being out of service area--as soon as you reset you get full signal.  I'll report back in a few days if the new phone "fixed" the issue or I still have it.  Yours sounds pretty severe (mine was like once every 2-3 days), so an exchange may be in order.  Contact your carrier and/or Nokia to at least establish a track record of the issue and perform basic troubleshooting (reprovisioning, new sim, etc).

Please use plain text.
lambertian

I contacted AT&T, went through a few people, asking about provisioning etc. Support claimed that its not a provisioning issue because such issues are not as sporadic as what I was experiencing.

Eventually someone said they will do a phone replacement but first I need to do a factory reset as a last ditch effort.

After doing the phone reset, I slowly added back the typical apps (yelp, foodspotting, facebook integration, etc), but have not seen the problem reoccur once. It's been 2 weeks and the phone is working solidly!

So whatever the issue was, doing a full reset fixed it. As a programmer I don't feel very satisfied with such a solution, but I'll take it!

@rfc0001 When you reset your phone, did the problem reoccur right away or after you installed some apps? I wouldn't be suprised if there is some broken app out there that causes this problem we both had.

Please use plain text.