Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 900 wont power on after battery drain..brick...

SridharV

Lumia 900 wont power on after battery drain..bricked!!

[ Edited ]

The Nokia Lumia 900 got BRICKED within a week of getting it....:smileymad:

Here is what happened, last night I could not get my phone recharged on time and as I was doing something the phone suddenly froze and died as it had ran out of juice. I left it there in that state for awhile and then plugged into wall...first the bottom three buttons lit up, a white screen, then a big battery showed up with with a bit of red charge, then a nokia page and then finally an att page with the words "rethink possible".....and it shuts off and starts this loop.

it has been doing that loop since 1 am last night.... tried all resets but no success
Moderators note: removed links to 3rd party (blog) sites which under the forum guidelines is not allowed.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ejovi

Re: Lumia 900 wont power on after battery drain..bricked!!

I had the same problem w/ my 800. It usually takes a while to charge up when its completely dead. I did the reset and it worked fine after that.
Nokia phones (Owned 1999-Now):
5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800 XM , Lumia 800, Lumia 900 (Currently owned)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
stevebor1

[ Edited ]

I let my Lumia 900 drain 100% also and now it will not charge or boot.

On my wall charger, I let it charge all night. Every couple of minutes I would hear it vibrate, light up, then shut down. In the morning I noticed it did not charge and was doing the same thing.

I then plugged it into another wall charger. This time it did the normal key light up, white screen, then battery charging screen. After 10 minutes or so, it went to the Nokia splash screen, then just hangs on the At&t screen for about 10 minutes then reboots.

I have yet to get it charged. It just seems to boot loop. Possibly it thinks it's ready to boot with enough juice, It boots, then does not have enought juice to continue and shuts down. I really don't know.

I have a replacement coming today, but it would be nice if I can get my pics and files of this one before i return it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sayeedr

My Lumia 900 had a battery issue and it died when i had 50% battery left. I exchanged this and got a new one and now this phone has mic issue. Caller can only hear his/her echo and can hardly hear my voice. I have a coworker who also has the same battery issue.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
stevebor1

So I got my replacement and the problematic lumia 900 still boot loops with the new charger. I have tried various chargers because of their different ratings and still no luck. I guess I am just going to send this one back and lose my data.
You can follow the thread on xda-developers .com, just search for lumia 900 wont boot.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bluediver

I have the same problem for a week now - trying everything to charge it again. Nokia customer support is no help. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? OR should I just return it for a new phone - which is a big hassle to have to reload all the apps and data.

Please use plain text.
FireBucket

I had a similar issue, not 24 hours after having bought the phone. No boot loops though, with about 50% battery left the phone just died and wouldn't start or even pretend to charge, just black screen.

I just took it back to the shop and got a replacement
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
robvde

Same story overhere. Battery got drained and was never able to get the phone accros his boot screen.

Went to Nokia Care in dubai and they had no clue and didnt want to accept it for repair since it was not bought in Dubai. So stuck with an expensive brick, gave it a nice location in my collection of failed devices. No more Nokia.

Am so disappointed for something what is supposed to be a flagship affected by a silly firmware bug like this.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
carloangela

Heya guys,, i just drained my battery.. Plugged it in to a wall socket next thing i got this BIG battery indicator with red light on it and i just waited for about 5-10mins and it powered up. Nokia welcome note--> windows phone note and its fine.. Jst sharing
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Cthulhu1138

Had the same issue when I let the battery die.

Found the following works (as a workaround of course)

Plug in phone for a few minutes to let it build a bit of a charge, loop power on/off starts.

During the loop unplug the phone at the white screen.

Nokia logo should show up, and phone should start booting, at this point I plug the cord back in.

WP7 loads and phone starts charging.

Now given that I've owned a Focus, and we have 710 in house as well I've found on all 3 models of WP7 if the battery is left to drain completely and you plug it in to charge it will charge until there is just enough charge to boot up the phone then boot up and during the boot up it's not charging. Once the phone has booted up it starts charging again.

I've tested turning off the phone when the battery isn't dead and then plugging it in. It does the following:

Lights up, white screen, vibrates, then turns off.

Then it boots lights up again, white screen, nokia logo, boots WP7, vibrates to indicate charge has started.

I think based on that whats happening with the 900 when its battery is dead and it's plugged in to charge it's getting what it thinks is enough charge to boot, booting losing a enough of a charge during the boot (where the charger isn't charging it) and then turning off and on again stuck in a cycle. Or possibly when it thinks it has enough of a charge to boot it doesn't actually have enough.

Either that or it's having some sort of issue with the charger connected during boot that doesn't happen when the battery isn't completely drained.

Basically when the boot up loop is happening it's not got enough charge to boot and because it's booting it's not charging and gets caught in a cycle. 

Pulling the charger during the white screen, waiting for the nokia logo and then plugging back in seems to get around the issue, but I'm guessing this is a bug with the design of the phone that will need to be fixed (hopefully in a firmware update).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Cthulhu1138

I should also mention I let my phone run out juice a lot, and have had to do the above atleast 10 or so times, and it works every time.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Cthulhu1138

Just found another method tonight testing again. This works much better as you don't have to get the timing as right as my other method.
While it was stuck in the power on off cycle I held the power button down until the Nokia screen came on. Took holding it for around 30-60 seconds.
Hopefully that helps some.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
wizll

Cthulhu1138 wrote:
Just found another method tonight testing again. This works much better as you don't have to get the timing as right as my other method.
While it was stuck in the power on off cycle I held the power button down until the Nokia screen came on. Took holding it for around 30-60 seconds.
Hopefully that helps some.

that's effectively like taking your battery out and putting it back in. kind of like a soft reset. have you tried holding both volume buttons and power button (maybe also camera)? that's the other soft reset method.Í

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JeanS

[ Edited ]

Same issue for me. I tried all the different possibilities (soft reset, hard reset, connect to Zune, put in charge mode as described here) and nothing works.

AT&T store confirmed the issue and told me it happened for a small percentage of phones...

I guess the only solution is to change the phone...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
michellePH

My Lumia 900 was drained today for the first time so I went on panic mode since it was my 2nd unit from Nokia. (first problem was internet sharing but that's another story).

I read all your posts and several of them helped me to revive my Lumia within 2 hours since it drained.

Most important is to charge the unit long enough to regain enough power to turn on. Then I followed the first 2 bullet points of this link:

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/troubleshooting/?qt=Turns%20off&comp=nokiatroubleshootingcontent&...

My 900 lit up for the first time but switched off again. I plugged the unit to a wall outlet again and try to power on when I saw the white screen, I tried what Cthulhu1138 posted above and the screen flashed the big red battery indicator. I waited for some time like what carloangela mentioned above and now my 900 is up and running without resets. Thanks to everyone!

Please use plain text.
davebac

How exactly do you accomplish recharging it without turning it on?

This is my issue, other devices stay off when I turn them off.  When they're charging, they stay off -- Droid Eris stays off, Nook stays off, Vita stays off, PSP stays off, my laptop stays off.  If the device just stayed off (when charging from no battery) , like nearly every other device on the planet, then I could get some charge up. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

davebac wrote:

How exactly do you accomplish recharging it without turning it on?

You can't. WP7 does not allow it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JadeDragonSeed

I got the phone just before 2 months when I encountered this issue. I send the phone bakc to Nokia Care. They replace a *NEW* phone. My advice - don't boter to try beyond the "three-finger-reset" If it does not work.. send back for a replacement if you cannot get a refund.

We Singapore (Asia) do not have inplace refund policy for unsatisfied customer.
Please use plain text.
musch

I'm having the exact same issue (battery drained 100%). I've tried soft reset, wall charge for 12 hours, USB charge on 3 different PC's with Zune, original Nokia charger and Samsung charger, but nothing works.

It's a strange firmware bug i guess, because it happens a week ago with the same phone, but after two days it actually came back to life after I plugged into my PC via USB.

I'm guessing I have to get a replacement even thou it's under a month since I got it (Firmware update Nokia??)...
Please use plain text.
Sage
7thSense

This is a known problem with Nokia phones. As mentioned above, the solution is to hold the power button pressed for up to 40 seconds (until the phone vibrates and turns on).

Microsoft Windows Phone MVP
Follow me on Twitter: @ThisIsMetro

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.