Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Access Point App not working suddenl...

syoung

Lumia 920 Access Point App not working suddenly

Hello

i have been using the Access point app sense i bought my 920 without a hitch. but today i went to turn on internet sharing (i've used it successfully before) it tells me that internet sharing is currently not available. i go into the access point app and it days Bell Inactive, i hit it to turn it on, i get the blue dot loading animation at the top of the screen, then the access point app exits.when i go back into it to see if Bell is not active, it is not, it still says inactive.

even stranger is i still am getting data, but no LTE, and no MMS.

this was all working before the 1308 update.

a little help please!

Scott

Please use plain text.
ThomasOfFrance

Re: Lumia 920 Access Point App not working suddenly

I am having the same issue. I bought the phone months ago and unlocked it to use it on the Bell network (it was locked to Rogers) and MMS and internet sharing wouldn't work until I used the access point app to activate the Bell nerwork from there. It has been working for months, but since applying the update I cannot do either (MMS and internet sharing that is).

This is not a minor issue as I use internet sharing all the time for my Surface tablet!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
XTANT

Same problem here.  The last update broke the interent sharing / Access Point app from running.  I use this every day and really need the functionality back.

Please use plain text.
KevenD

I'd like to add myself and my wife into this thread as both of us have had the exact same problem.  Support from Nokia has suggested that I reset the phone to factory defaults and see if that works but that is NOT a workable solution and from the sounds of others in this thread having the same problem, likely won't fix anything.

Please use plain text.
KevenD

Quick add-on - I have pasted a video of the phone failing to set the access point for reference here: http://sdrv.ms/16K9oht
Please use plain text.
MakingBiscuits

[ Edited ]

I had this same issue with Access Point on my Nokia Lumia 820 (access point used to work, but now it just force quits as soon as you select an APN setting).

I performed a hard reset my phone to factory settings (Settings > About > Reset) and then Access Point worked again. Resorting to a hard reset wasn't ideal, but at least I was able to restore most of my settings & apps from the cloud since I backup my phone. Wish there was a way to uninstall Access Point easily - that would probably solve our issues.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bpsmicro

Here's something you may want to try. I don't think it gets Access Point working again; and to be honest I'm not sure I want to try just yet; but it *did* get Internet Sharing working again... Go into Settings|Keyboard and install a keyboard you don't have (I chose Spanish). That takes a few minutes, and actually does similar things to a firmware update, where you'll get the spinning cogs and whatnot. When it finally came back, Internet Sharing was magically working again! You can then uninstall the keyboard (until next time). I read this on another forum, and I found it difficult to believe at first, but darned if it didn't do the trick. I surmise that this process resets the phone somewhere in between a "soft" reset and a "hard" reset (I tried to think of a witty name, but came up with nothing politically correct enough), and that clears some broken value somewhere. Good luck; Brad.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jamesbras

Having the same issue all of a sudden as well.

Have an unlocked Rogers Lumia 920 running on Telus in Canada, and everything was working perfectly. Just got back from a vacation in Italy where I was using a local SIM card (which also worked perfectly).

Now that I switched back to my original SIM (Telus), the access point app won't apply any settings (even though Telus comes up as an option) and just crashes. Internet sharing also doesn't work anymore.

Really wish there was some kind of solution to this. I would really like to avoid a hard reset. Also have a friend who is having this issue on his 920 as well.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bpsmicro

Set your APN manually & forget about Access Point. It's broken. Then if Internet Sharing still isn't working (it may just without further action), you can do the keyboard trick. I'd just stay away from Access Point entirely until a fix comes out.

Please use plain text.
KevenD

Nokia support gave me a solution.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/store/app/lumia-pusher/492cccf5-6352-4c77-8e5f-fd267bcddafb

Download the "Lumia Pusher" app, then run it and click on the access point option to get the udpate that works under the newest firware update of the 920 to install.

Worked for both my Lumias.

Please use plain text.