Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 - Anybody with mic sensitivity probl...

Contributor
Computermensch

Lumia 920 - Anybody with mic sensitivity problems when talking in the phone?

[ Edited ]

There is a few posts today on wpcentral on the issue ... http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/206565-mic-problem-low-quality.html So just remembered my issue - and curious ...

Discovered the problem 2 days ago speaking to my mom - she got anoyed she could not hear me ... she got anoyed with not hearing (she did not think I was saying anything ... could not hear) ... so hung up.

I tried putting the phone very close to my mouth ... worked. But just a few cm's away and does not pick up sound.

No voice input problem with speaker on.

I do have a cover on - but removing it did not change anything ... and the 2 holes for the mic is there.

I did install some app updates ... guess not firmware updates from Nokia? But they could not be the reason could they?

Anyway curious if anybody else have this problem around here ... until it probably gets fixed soon. Or may be it was a temporary problem (i.e. kind of dynamic ... comes and goes?).

Nobody has complained to me since though ... but I know it can happen now ...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
deepben

Re: Lumia 920 - Anybody with mic sensitivity problems when talking in the phone?

Yes I have had the same issue. Either they do t hear anything or they hear very light muffled sound. I even tried to plug in an old Iphone headset and the mix on that wouldn't work too - which I've read it to be win8 compatibility issues.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
michail71

Re: Lumia 920 - Anybody with mic sensitivity problems when talking in the phone?

I have a problem I reported to support that could be related but I haven't heard back yet.  My issue comes from plugging in a line/headphone output.   About 1/2 the time i plug in the microphone stops working for voice input and speakerphone.  The clue was the waveform readout on the voice control.

I can usually fix it by unplugging and replugging the line.

Are any of you using the stereo jack?

Please use plain text.
chr374

Bought 2 nokia 920 phones and i have same problem as you say        ""I tried putting the phone very close to my mouth worked. But just a few cm's away and does not pick up sound and No voice input problem with speaker on""

--also everybody i called complained about very low noice and almost impossible to hear, only sometimes during the call.

I made a little research and it seems that nokia use "new" different mic technology that filters out background noice,, 

I dont think there is anything wrong with the phones, we just need to talk VERY CLOSE to the mic on the phones, the strength should be you can talk in the phone with loud background without interfere with your speech.

Actually i find it quite annoying !!

Hope you NOKIA PEOPLE read the forums and make a firmware update !! So the speech to the mic goes from VERY CLOSE to just CLOSE or something

Please use plain text.
pedd

I bought my Lumia 920 from ATT a week back, and it has been giving me same problem. I explained this problem to ATT rep and he gave weird explanation as software glitch and refused to replace the phone without restocking fees. I had Samsung Win 7 phone, it never had this problem, so I'm leaning towards hardware problem here. is there an setting to increse the microphone sensitivity and forget about noice cancellation?

I'm very fraustrated every time I hear "can't hear you" from my family & friends. I'm hoping that there would be solution from Nokia/ATT quickly, otherwise I'm planning to return it (with additional restocking fee, I hate this part too) in couple of days before it ticks 14 days ATT return policy.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Midir

I have exactly this problem, as it seems more and more people do. Advice from customer service was to take it to a care point, unfortunately there isn't one anywhere near me.

This is clearly a software problem as the mic works fine picking up my voice at range in Skype et al, it is only when phoning someone that this problem arises, and as stated by others, hearing 'I cant hear you!' when the phone is quite literally an inch away from your mouth is beyond frustrating, and really makes you second guess your purchase as there appears to be no fix.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dehaas

I'm having microphone issues with my 920 as well. So far that is the only negative thing I have to say about the phone. At first I thought that it was the angle the phone was pointing from my ear to my mouth, but I agree with what has been said...it appears to be how close the phone is to my mouth. I don't seem to have any issues when I'm using bluetooth in my car. Maybe a patch down the road that allows us to turn off the noise cancellation during voice calls?
Please use plain text.
lumia011

[ Edited ]

....after I installed Portico update 10 days ago people were telling me that they can hear me better than before the update. Then, I hard-reset it (to change my microsoft id) and they continued to hear me better, but in the last couple of days it is the same nightmare again - everyone keeps telling me that they can't understand my "rumbling". The only difference after the hard reset might be that I installed more apps although i don't believe that be the problem. .....it might be relevant, it might not - i have a red one

....just did a little testing - when on speakerphone it works great regardless how far the phone is from the mouth - 2 inches or 2 feet or 2 meters - the other side can hear me. However, in a regular phone mode if I move the phone 5 inches from mouth the other side CANNOT hear anything. One thing that is different between speakerphone and regular-phone is role of "proximity sensor" in the upper front right corner - when in speakerphone mode sensor is irrelevant, but if you move the phone few inches from the face, the sensor makes the screen turn on (and maybe unintentionally the mic as well).

...the question is - is this a hardware or OS problem, and should i replace the phone, or wait for a soft update fix?!? Portico said in its official note that it fixed "audio issues".  
It looks to me that if the mic works in speakerphone mode and so-so in the regular mode, this is an OS issue, but if this is an OS issue, why not everyone is having/reporting this problem (or maybe not everyone is aware of it since they are keeping the phone close to mouth most of the time and thus not experiencing the problem all the time, and thus not realizing that something is really wrong with the phone and not with a connection or else...)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

hi Lumia011,

seems like it may be a deeper issue with your 920. in your case, as you have performed a hard reset, the only option for you now is to take your phone back to your point of purchase, and if they are being less than helpful, to escalate the issue with your local Nokia: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
weim

Hi lumia011,

By any chance, are you using any casing on your phone? I have a similar issue with my Lumia 820.

I use a flip casing, but it does not cover the microphone. During calls, people complain that they can't hear me clearly. Words are broken intermittently. If I switch to loudspeaker -> no problem, they can hear me very clearly. Video recording is also fine -> sound is normal. I have confirmed that the microphone is not blocked by the casing (I don't use any screen protector yet). I have done a hard reset, but the problem persists.

When I remove the flip casing, there's a marked improvement in clarity and words are not broken anymore. I understand that Lumia 820 has 2 HAAC microphones, but I am not able to locate the other mic. I have tried to google for this information, it's not mentioned anywhere. For Lumia 920, I understand there are 3 HAAC microphones. Try removing any covers/casings (if you have them on) and see if it that helps.

I will try with another hardcover casing (non-flip type) when it arrives from ebay to see if the problem remains.

Please use plain text.
lumia011

he wiem!
i don't have any casing on my phone. Today I went to att store and the salesperson had a same red lumia 920 like me; we tested his and my phone and it was obvious that mine is having a problem. As you said, no problem when switch to loudspeaker/speakerphone, only in phone mode. I am getting my phone exchanged.
Please use plain text.
Elrinth

[ Edited ]

I'm also having troubles... It's sorta random when it starts becoming really low volume. Because I don't move the phone any further or shorter away from myself when it happens. Nor do I even move the phone. It's like it's the other side talking which filters out my voice or something.

I twist and bend both myself and my phone until the other side says they can hear me again.

If I plug in the headphones which came with the phone, there is no problems at all.

Is this some software issue?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
NGTools

I have the same issue with my Nokia Lumia 920 Black, where callers tell me they cannot hear me.  While in speakerphone mode it's just fine. 

I remember plugging in my headphones while in phone mode and the caller said they can hear me just fine now.  When I unplugged the headphones the sound started to deteriorate until the caller said they cannot hear me again.  I plugged in the headphone and it was fine again.  So maybe the problem may be with a faulty headphone jack.  I remember a few years back I had a similar problem with an iPhone and had to replace it to resolve the headphone jack issue.

At this point I don't want to hard reset the phone.  It's a pain to setup all my apps and email accounts all over again.

Nokia, what is your position on this?  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
LBCChet

I am also having this problem.  It's always been a problem, but has gotten much worse since the update.  Nokia, you need to comment on this SOON, I am about ready to chuck this thing in the trash.

Please use plain text.
AlesTaborik

I have a friend who was on nokia care ... he give them a phone and they return it back after 14 days that problem doesnt appear. He tried it and no change ... I have same issue and I really dont know if I should believe Nokia at all, I will probably try it, but if they will return it to me with same comment I really dont know what to do...

really disapointed when the only function which should be really flawless is not working. I tried different phone and it worked normally ......

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ctrl_alt_dileep

[ Edited ]

I've sent my phone back to Nokia Care twice and they've just returned the phone back to me claming that they've fixed it. (without fixing)

Deeply dissapointed by this. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mindo

Same problem with lumia 620! Nokia, could you just give us a choice to turn off the damn noise cancellation? If not, I'm switching to htc.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
EDRo

Same problem here... (920) Nobody can hear a word I am saying! Very frustrating! :/

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Modeh1981

I faced the same problem, All that you need to do is to clean the mic at the top of the phone and also at the bottom with a pin.

be carefull, do not press hard.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mindo

Mics are ok. With a speakerphone on, I hear my wife fine. Also the sound on video recordings is excellent. It'a not a HW problem, but SW. What to clean on a brand new device?

For example, when kids are sleeping, she has to speak quietly, I can't hear a word. The voice is muddy and discontinuous. She has to leave the room and talk loudly. The point is, we don't want this Active Noise Cancellation feature so why can't we just turn it OFF? Most of the time I want to hear natural background ambience noise: birds singing, children playing, people talking. I don't want filters. Until this issue is solved, I can't recommend this phone to anybody, sorry. We wrote to Nokia, still no answer. Nokia Care, do you care?

Please use plain text.