Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 BSOD and Windows Boot Manager error

Vibbers

Lumia 920 BSOD and Windows Boot Manager error

[ Edited ]

Just thought I'd share my experience:

One of the employees in my company recently equipped with new (black) Lumia 920s came back complaining about her phone suddenly shutting down after a couple days of use, and was unable to get the phone past a blue screen after the Nokia logo. I gave her a spare phone, and started investigating. Neither the soft nor hard reset did the trick, but after connecting it to my laptop suddenly a rather familiar error screen appeared (see attached jpg).

There was no way of getting past this one either (the WINDOWS KEY did not start any Recovery - probably because I did not see how I could insert my Windows installation disc...:smileyvery-happy:)

The next morning the phone had shut down, and could once again not boot past the BSOD.

Will return the phone to the dealer come Monday - needless to say it also has the annoying "click by the SIM door" issue...

Moderator's note: It's not allowed the discuss about flashing tools as users can damaged there devices and void the warranty. Only Nokia Care can do it safely.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Have you tried resetting phone once passing blue screen? btw discussions on use of unofficial tools is not allowed here.
Please use plain text.
Vibbers

The phone never makes it past the blue screen. Turning it on with the power button makes it vibrate, briefly show the Nokia logo and then a blue-ish screen for 60 seconds before turning off. Rinse and repeat. Neither the 2- or 3-finger salute makes a difference, it always just boots back to the BSOD.

Please use plain text.
BASAM123

I just bought my lumia 920 - black coloured a month ago, but used it only for the past two weeks. Phone desides to shut-down.

Try to turn on again: Vibrates, nokia logo, bluescreen. NO WAY past the bluescreen NO MATTER what I did. No soft/ hard reset methods (I doubt they work in the first place anyways!) were helpful. I took it to a Nokia care center, and now waiting for the third day for them to call me back to get my phone! Such a bad experience!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Richie_86

Has anyone had any luck with this? My phone is currently doing this. :-(

Please use plain text.
Jeffrey0515

My phone started doing this same thing.  Soft restart doesn't work, hard restart doesn't work either.  I've gone ahead and just tried to reset it to factory defaults.  You can do this, as the manual describes, even if the ohone won't boot into windows. 

This is the nokia link to restting:

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/product/lumia920/product-troubleshooting/

This is pasted from thier site (if the link does not work):

If you cannot switch your phone on:

1. Disconnect your phone from the charger.

2. Press and hold the volume down key and connect the charger. An exlamation mark (!) is shown on the screen. 3. Press the following keys in order: volume up, volume down, power, volume down.

Your phone resets and boots up automatically. This may take several minutes.

Now I've done this, and the cogs have been turning for an hour now (not sure if it's goinh to work or not), but I'll report to let you know if it worked.

Please use plain text.
Jeffrey0515

So I was able to reset my phone to factory defaults (with some trouble), but it worked.  You want to follow the factory reset directions previously expressed.  When the phone restarts itself, if it gets stuck on the cobs spinning for more than 30 minutes, you want to do a restart by pushing and holding down both the volume down and power buttons at the same time.  Once phone vibrates amnd restarts, let them go.  Once again cogs may come back up.  If they go more than 5-10 minutes... they're probably stuck again.  So restaert phone same wasy again.  I ended up restarting mine about 5 times until it finally rebooted back up, spinning cogs for 5 minutes, then it booted into the phone, asking for setup information (as if it were a new phone).  I've reloaded my phone as much as possible since, and have had no issues since.  This is definately a software issue that shoudl be fixed as it's a similar issue as with windows operating systems "blue screens of death".  Same solution for PC's is typically to reformat the hard drive and reinstall OS.  Apparently for these Nokia 920's, same thing... just have to reset to factory defaults.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SiavashTechDaD

Dear Jeffrey

i did the reset , and the gears show up. I read on other websites that you shoudl leave them untill the phone boots .

but i left the for 30 minutes and nothing happened . so i did reset the phone after 10 minutes many time , but still not working.

what else do you suggest ? how many time should i reset it? is there any other way?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
jekiboi20

Hi SiavashTechDaD,

You can refer to this thread for possible resolution: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Lumia-920-Stuck-At-Spinning-Gears/m-p/1777304#M42367

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ASR920

Didn't manage to do the UP-DOWN-POWER-DOWN combination in time. Now when I try to hold DOWN and plug in the charger to get (!), it just goes to the NOKIA screen and repeatedly shuts down and starts. Releasing the DOWN key during this time results in the screen shown here:http://discussions.nokia.com/discussions/attachments/discussions/Nokia_with_Windows_Phone/30776/1/lu...

How do I get (!) now?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nono6792

Moderator said: 

"Moderator's note: It's not allowed the discuss about flashing tools as users can damaged there devices and void the warranty. Only Nokia Care can do it safely.".

Sorry Moderator, but I also have same message (windows boot manager), after having same problems :

- blue screen after each power on, and continiously.

- then the "Windows boot manager" finally appeared when doing a "vol down-put on charger-exclamation-vol Up-Vol Down-Power button-Vol down".

Of course, as all people said here and else where in world forums, no flashing, nor hacking !!!

Question: so, now, what to do chief ??????????????????

Any idea ?

For your info, Moderator, i bought my nokia lumia 920 when it appeared first time here in France (long time until now), and i never had this type of problem !!!

What is the solution Moderator ?

Should we buy a keyboard (usb ?) and plug it to the lumia 920 (as indicated on "windows boot manager" screen), then push windows key to recover ?

Any idea Moderator ?

Are you sure you know this problem Moderator ? Or this is the first time you encounter it ?

Could you please push this problem to technical support (better solution) ?

Please, Nokia, give us a solution now...and stop giving excuse like "do not hack or flash".

Thanks...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
alphie233

Hi 

have you resolved the problem yet?

my phone has the exact same problem as yours QAQ, pressing the volumn down butten and restarting over and over again. plus the windows boot manager screen as well! 

Please use plain text.