Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 Backup of contacts, messages calendar et...

Advisor
bushaven

Lumia 920 Backup of contacts, messages calendar etc to PC

Cant understand why the backup to PC of vital Lumia phone information such as contacts, calendar and messges can not be easily and quickly achieved as with the Nokia suite and N8. I beleive it is synced automatically to Skydrive but I cannot find evidence of this. I would like to have control of this data for easy retrieval and stored on my PC. Windows phone software on my PC is sub standard in comparison with Nokia Suite. It is clunky, contacts cannot be backed up, photos have no picture reference when transferred and the overall Windows Phone software on my PC is second rate in contrast to the Windows Phone 8 phone experience. Can anyone enlighten me on how I can easily copy my contacts to PC. No problem getting contacts into the phone. Just unclear on how to get a copy of them out.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Re: Lumia 920 Backup of contacts, messages calendar etc to PC

For one, as soon as your upgrade to Windows 8 this all goes away and your phone data (Contacts and Calendar entries) is instantly available on your PC in the People and Calendar apps once your use your Microsoft account to log in. Your experience will be much like the phone.

Depending on settings Messages are backed up to your Microsoft account but can't be viewed or retrieved but with a reset of the phone and with the prerequisite the internet settings for your carrier are included on the SIM.

If you do not run Windows 8 the easiest way to get to your contacts and calendar entries would be to open a browser and go to outlook.com. You can toggle between Mail, People, SkyDrive and Calendar using the down arrow in the top left corner next to the name of the selected  option.

Alternatively you can choose to install Windows Mail from the Windows Essentials which, once you log in with your Microsoft account, will sync to/from the same location as your phone does.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bushaven

Thanks for your advice. I am using Windows 7 and not sure that I want to upgrade to Windows 8 just yet. My comments are aimed at the fact that the syncing of the phone to the PC could be much simpler as with Nokia suite giving a much better user experience. Not everyone is familiar with the complexities of Skydrive and the cloud. Just think it doesnt need to be this user unfriendly. Some users dont want to use the cloud Skydrive etc and a simple phone to PC sync is all that is required.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

As contacts and Calendar are synced live there is no need for a cable connection. Also this way your data will be available to you anytime anywhere whether you have your 'sync to' PC around or not..

It's a matter of preference maybe, but I would be surprised if anything syncs using a cable in a few years anyway. Imagine being on vacation and your phone gets stolen or goes swimming.. All you need to do is either get another Windows phone and set it up using your Microsoft account to have all contacts returned. You can also always go to outlook.com to get them. Not so easy if your contacts are on your PC at home..

And as far as security goes, I am fairly confident that your Microsoft account is more secure then most any other access you have on your PC so anyone questioning this should basically stop using the internet completely.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
thelanranger

[ Edited ]

No one can walk into my house and copy data off my computer that isn't turned on. Hacking a microsoft account that doesn't even have 2 factor authentication is something a robot can do. Not being able to make an image of my cell phone to my PC with either a cable or bluetooth so I can restore the whole stinking device to a new one, or the same one in the event of a software problem is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm nearing the end of my rope with this phone and it's complete lack of forethought as far as features. It's a laundry list.

I'm with the OP, my old symbian phone was an E71 and it was infinitely superior to this 920. I'm out of brain space to keep track of the things this new phone won't do that that one would. Backing up is round about the final straw...as this one has a bad battery and I can't REMOVE it to get a new battery...i have to get a new PHONE.

Moderator's Note: This post was edited to remove inappropriate word used that may be offensive to other users of the forum. Please ensure polite correspondence to each other to avoid inviting an argument.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

How about they take your computer away completely, you loose all your backup data and they can take their time getting the data off. Getting data from a harddrive is easy and getting data from your Nokia Suite backup is even more easy.

Your remark on your Microsoft account security is funny at best. People are trying daily to hack Hotmail so far no one has been able to do so. You show that you read stuff, but have no idea what it means. Microsoft Account has proven to be one of the most secure online resources around. Maybe someone will someday be able to hack it, but a small army is watching its security and the safety of your data.

I much rather have access to my contacts wherever I am and have access to internet than be dependent on a piece of hardware I must have with me to have access. I have a desktop, notebook and phone all sharing this data. If I change something on one it instantly changes everywhere else.. Add a contact on my desktop and next time I need to call that person the contact details are on my phone without me having to do anything. Making a backup is as easy as two mouse clicks.

If you feel your E71 is better they please stay with it and be happy, you sound like you need some happiness in your life. But expecting a one post wonder we'll probably won't hear from you again anyway..

---

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PunishedByLumia

How about making a simple utility for backup for your flagship phone, and don't waste people's time to be writing in the forums about elementary basic software like backup utilities?

If I had a pumpkin on my shoulders and wanted my phone to think instead of me, I would get an I phone, and If I want to backup my contacts I don't need pathetic explanation that "actually" I don't need this....

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

There is plenty of good contacts backup apps in the store.. Why don't you do your homework yourself. A simple search on 'contacts backup' here will get you your answer.

Without the app a backup to a file option is also available, again do your homework yourself.

None of these will work through an USB cable as this is simply not an option in Windows Phone and IMO is a trivial and moot point anyway.

---

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

How about backing up SMS or MMS as yet not found any way to do that?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Included in the backup function of WP8.

---

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

I'm on Lumia 800 7.5 at the moment is it in the new update 7.8?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

This thread is about L920 and thus WP8

---

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

Well would be nice to know if it is included with 7.8 if you know?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

no

---

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

@ pualheu

Ok thank you

Please use plain text.
jcg_o

Your post reflects my feelings exactly. Got tired waiting for Blackberry 10, so I moved from my old BB to 920. Big mistake. Can't find call duration, no call blocking or even app avaiable, no PC backup, can't see backed up SMS on skydrive, no encryption (only for enterprise users), no settings for how long i want to save my msgs, wifi issues (currently using my laptop as a hotspot to connect to wifi) as 920 won't connect to my new Dlink router......and the list goes on and on. Nokia has made a nice come back with the design and hardware......Microsoft never fails to disappoint. i am going to wait and see if these issues are getting fixed.....if not i am going back to Blackberry.....a company that understands what user friendly really means.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
seriesdriver

I know this is an old thread, but I feel your frustration. We made a bad decision moving from Sony to Lumia 920.

Lets hope Nokia/Microsoft get out of BETA mode and sort a decent package that does not require user support !!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Thevenin

I have the same problem. I need to see an old SMS, and can't fond it anywhere. If any body knows how to see old backed up SMS, please let me know. This back up thing its very complicated in this phone (920). With Nokia suite it was very easy. I still have my old Nokia n8 data on it, and it's very easy to find anything.
Please use plain text.
archer60

this is an absolutly crazy backward step from My E51 which was old but backed up safely quickly to my controled space of the lap top is this just an Australian problem or world wide it would appear that on some info sites there are other options BUt Nokia is looking crazy at window expense Nokia Hear us we want help in this transition
Please use plain text.
archer60

this is how i fel in april 20013 still not easy Nokia are you deaf
Please use plain text.