Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Drai...

Registered Member
gke565

Re: Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Draining

I have two Nokia 920s - one Cyan from first release, one Red from latest batch.  Using Zillow over the weekend BOTH units overheated within 10 mins of turning on follow-me, so much so the units self-powered off (and drained 40% of the battery).  We had to wait 15 mins for the units to cool enough to power back on.  I have used other applications - including the touted Caddie App from the Win8 announcement - that app with GPS enabled completely drained my battery within an hour.  Nokia Maps (beta) - turned off allow background, NFC disabled after it sucked the life out of my phone.  There is a SERIOUS issue with the GPS and/or the code.  Some apps that use the GPS for a quick location seem to run fine (GasBuddy) does not heat up the unit or drain the battery.  Microsoft and Nokia need to review coding and block poorly written code, and if its a hardware issue - guess there will be a number of recalls.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mgraymba

have a redRe: Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Draining

I have a red Lumia 920 and my phone overheated. Before this one I had a black o e that overheated and the ear speaker broke. I think Nokia is having a hard time with their manufacturing. Looks lime the Xbox all over again.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bond13

Hey there, I found out something fairly interesting.

I was experiencing the same issues as you did: I would put the phone down and it would burn through the battery in 5-6 hours with no on-screen time at all. Also, it got hot in a matter of minutes when I was using it.

I found out that while using WhatsApp and Skype, the phone heats up significantly. The only way to explain this is that even though the apps can be closed, they keep running in the background because they need to stay connected. WhatsApp does it with its fake audio stream to keep the app active. I uninstalled both apps, did a soft reset (press power and volume down buttons for about 10 seconds) and the phone was fine. No heat, no excessive drain of battery life. But since I really need WhatsApp, I downloaded it again. I was pretty surprised: The phone was still doing fine. But before I first isntalled WhatsApp (came out for WP8 only last week) and Skype was already installed at that time, the phone was fine, too. My conclusion is that the combination of both apps may cause the problem. What I can say for sure is that it is not related to the hardware. It really seems like the Lumia 920 or WP8 phones in general don't like some of the apps available. Tell me what you think!

Please use plain text.
symboli

Here is the best Solution

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpstart/nokia-lumia-920-overheat-and-battery-i...

Please ask help from MS coz They Made Windows Phone 8 not Nokia:smileywink:

Please use plain text.
mobilexp

In my opinion this is a Nokia issue and not a Windows Phone issue.  I have tested the Lumia 820, 920 and HTC 8x.  Both the Lumia devices get hot while the HTC remains cool.  In addition, check out the difference in the SAR ratings.  The Lumias are significantly higher than the HTC and most phones out there.

Like a lot of users who posted comments, I was excited about the release of the Lumia 920 and wanted it to be the perfect phone because of all the great features and the Windows Phone OS but the overheating issue is pretty concerning.  I'm not sure who would want to be be using, wearing or holding an overheating electronic device.  For Nokia's sake I hope they fix this issue.  For now I'll default to the HTC 8x which was not my first choice.  I miss the Nokia apps, but the phone doesn't get hot, it's size is a lot more manageable and it has a lower SAR rating.

Please use plain text.
Ninacatherine80

I've had my lumia 920 for about 6 weeks in the UK. I've not had a problem with it overheating until recently when I noticed it was really really hot.  I had been on a chat site that used the GPS for a while and thought nothing of it.  But then i noticed that after i'd powered off and restarted, it was getting hot again.  I have deleted the nokia drive app after reading some other forums and i have noticed a difference. However, it is still getting hot (although not as hot). 

In fac t I've been typing this whilst on my phone and it's now burning my ear!!

This has to be a GPS software issue and nokia need to address it as soon as possible.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

My 920 (mostly) has exellent battery life. I keep location services & Bluetooth OFF by default & WiFi always on. Overnight, my battery typically goes from 100% to maybe 95% HOWEVER periodically I get massive drain. Last night it dropped 25% in a couple of hours before bed. Over night, my phone went from 75% to 15% (about 6 hours of NON-USE). So, I began thinking: what did I do with my phone yesterday? It seemed fine during the day. In fact I remember thinking it was holding a charge well with web searches and music etc. Finally, I remembered what I had done last evening.

I played ANGRY BIRDS!   I don't play often, and when I do, it's a game or two in the evening. Suddenly, it seemed to make sense ... that the times where my battery life evaporated was after playing ANGRY BIRDS (Free Star Wars Edition). It is entirely possible that this is a misbehaving application because it seems like Rovio rushed it to the Windows app store (it was NOT there day one) and may have some process running in the background that doesn't stop --- even after the game no longer appears to be active. I hope this helps. Also: someone mentioned ESPN app. Yeah, you gotta turn off the constant updates--or your battery life will suffer.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Follow up:

http://gizmodo.com/5960302/is-your-nokia-lumia-920s-battery-draining-too-fast

"The bundled Nokia Drive +Beta now runs in the background by default. If you have used it and not gone into Settings->Applications->background tasks, and turned it off, it is still sitting there utilizing data and GPS."

I checked thse settings too -- and found that news applications want to update all the time. Bloomberg News & EPSN (preinstalled) and USAToday and BBCNews were also auto updating. So, even though I had location settings OFF I found that Nokia Drive +Beta was lurcking in the background all the time.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Yet another observation--because this is driving me crazy and I LOVE this phone. The battery life--after all the tweaks and a moderate (2-3 bar signal) all day--is just not that good. That said, the most annoying this is to have 100% before bed and < 20% 5-6 hours later.

Settings: block all background apps that can be blocked. WiFi ON (even when idle: this was a battery saver for my previous phone...using WiFi for syncing at night). LTE signal 2-3 bars.

Before night idle (for the phone--sleep for me) I restart the phone. The result: 100% battery at 10pm and 100% battery at 5AM. Perhaps all the multi-tasking and idling apps may not get "cleaned up" very well though it's hard to say WHICH ones. I use the phone, mail, text messaging, Skype for some IM, news apps (USA Today App & Bloomberg), and IE for Bing news, searches and Twitter (not a Twitter app). I suspect IE because it's hard to shut down but that is only a guess. I would LOVE to get 24 hours from my phone ... and hope that MS or Nokia resolves the issue.  Nokia: you have a dog in this fight ...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

I've been trying to nail down some issues with my (launch day) AT&T black Nokia 920 phone.  I wish I knew what exactly was going on, but I don't just yet.  Here are some things I've noticed, though:

• I leave my Data, Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS on all the time.  I have NFC (currently) disabled.
  • I have (5) background tasks "allowed" right now: Amazing Weather HD, AppoinTile, Battery, LockTeemp, and Nokia Drive+ Beta.  All others are "blocked".
  • My phone does typically have great battery life.  I unplugged at 6:30am the other day, used my phone rarely throughout the day, and checked it again at 4pm -- the battery was at around 85%
  • Playing a highly-graphical game, such as Chimpact (great game!), Dredd vs Zombies, etc. will drain the battery very quickly.  This is expected behavior.
  • Using an app like Battery (http://bit.ly/XoWE4N), I can get toast notifications of situations when my battery is draining at an unusual rate.  Although it's handy for testing (as in this case), the alerts will also occur while playing graphical games for a long time, watching videos, and anything else "intensive".

Last week I noticed several instances where my battery seemed to be *great* during the morning hours -- until about 12-noon or so -- and then would quickly tank afterwards.  I uninstalled/reinstalled several apps in hopes of nailing down the culprit, but could not find any one app that was causing my issues. 

Eventually, I did notice some behavior that was consistent.  I would use my phone during a workout at the gym -- often watching 40+ minutes of video (Netflix).  When getting back to my desk, I would place my phone on the wireless charger -- off and on for a period of time.  In some case, I would play 5 - 10 minutes of a highly-graphical game such as Chimpact, and then place it on the wireless charger.  In both scenarios, the phone was warm after watching a video *or* playing a graphical game, and then I would place the phone on the wireless charger -- further warming the phone until it was nearly hot.  In every case that I could remember, this sequence of events -- warming the phone with activity (video or game) and then placing it on the wireless charger -- my phone would proceed to run noticeably warm and the battery would drain quickly.  The Battery app that I'm using would even show instances where my phone would be removed from the charger and in my pocket for 2 - 3 hours, but still draining quickly -- up to 7% every 20 minutes -- and this was in a scenario where I was basically not using the phone during that time.  Also in every scenario, simply rebooting the phone would stop the fast battery draining.  That's not an acceptable "solution" in my book, however.

So, I'm left wondering a few things:

1. Is there an inherent issue with the wireless Nokia charger?
  2. Does everyone's phone get warm when using the wireless charging?
  3. Is there a specific issue when the phone is already warm, and then introducing the wireless charging which further warms the phone and creates an overheat/fast-battery-drain situation?

I'll do my best to test further and report back.  Thanks!

Yip 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

I too have noticed that the phone is warm after being on the wireless charger. But I'm not sure that it's a problem, that may just be a function of inductive charging and a large battery. So, you noticed that after some "hungry" app like a game/video battery drain was significant--even after you quit the app. Did you have this draining after using the app but NOT putting it on the charger? I'm curious because I have been rebooting at night before bed and when I get up 6 hours later, I see 0-1% battery drain (one bar of 4G -- WiFi on & forced not to sleep). During the day with email, a few calls and texts and some moderate browsing the battery is fine.

I agree that rebooting is NOT a solution.

But it sure seems like there are processes that are NOT being terminated properly. Remember that WP8 somehow doesn't want you to CLOSE anything, but just suspend things in the background. And are the games really being suspended or are they still trying to work?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Well, as promised, my testing continues.

Over the past few days, I've seen VERY normal battery life.  I've played power-hungry games, seen the battery life diminish, and then recover as expected.  No on-going drain outside of the active playing time itself.  I've also gone out of my way to NOT explicitly close those applications, which we shouldn't have to do.  Rather, I've been in a level, hit the Home button, and went about my business -- checking email, text messages, whatever, and not going back to close out those apps fully.  In other words, I've been using my phone as it's intended to be used.  It's been working fine, with no adverse behavior, warmness, or unexplained battery drain.

Today was different.

I went to the gym this morning, watched about 22 minutes worth of Netflix (streaming over LTE, not wifi), and then went to the Start screen.  Note that I did *not* close the app down or back out in any way.  There was some battery drain during that time, but nothing (that I noticed) directly afterward.  About an hour later, I played about 10 minutes of Chimpact (yes, yes...I love that game), and then went back to the Start screen.....without closing the app down. 

Within a few minutes, my Battery app notified me of excessive battery drain, which is common after playing a game.  Another 20 minutes later, I got another battery drain message...even though my phone had been sitting dormant on my desk.  Using the Task Manager, I verified that both Netflix and Chimpact were "open" on the phone, but (supposedly) in a frozen/hibernated state.  Another 20 minutes later, the battery drain message come up again...and the phone continued to be warmer than usual.

At this point, I began backing out of an app, and then waiting 20 minutes to see if I'd get a battery drain message...which I did.  I backed out of Netflix, still got a warning.  I backed out of Chimpact, got another warning.  Finally, I backed out of EVERYTHING (so that only the Start screen remained) and got another warning within 20 minutes.  When I got back to work, the phone was still warm-ish and the warnings continued.  At no point did I ever use my wireless charger (or any charger), so that I could rule that out.

Eventually, I had to reboot the phone to charge it back up (via cable).

I still don't know what the actual issue is.  I have a couple of clues, though:

• It seems that maybe running Netflix for 20+ minutes warmed it up quite a bit, or....
  • It may be that the combo of Netflix + Chimpact (a bit later) caused excessive warming, or...
  • These phones get into a battery drain loop and cannot get out of it without a reboot
  • Closing ALL of my open applications did not remedy the situation

Are you reading this, Nokia?  Could you please offer some assistance??

Yip

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Here's my latest and most concise test yet.

• Charged my phone overnight.  Unplugged at 7am.
  • Used sparsely from 7am - 12noon.  Battery at 90% or so.
  • At 12noon, listened to 20 minutes of music.
  • At 12:20pm (or so), watched video on the Netflix app for approximately 22 minutes (over data connection, not wi-fi).
  • Did not back out of app.  Simply hit the Home button.  Left it alone. 
  • Battery was showing 77% remaining.
  • Warning during my video of "excessive battery drain" (Battery App, previously mentioned).
  • Continue warnings every 20 minutes -- losing approximately 15% of battery every hour.
  • Used phone for a brief phone call, a few text messages, and an app update.  Nothing intensive, and no games.
  • Battery continued to drain.  Netflix was no longer listed amongst the Task Manager items.
  • Finally rebooted phone when battery had reached about 30%.

Tomorrow I'll test with watching Netflix again for a period of time, but I'll see if immediately backing out of the application keeps the "battery drain spiral" from occuring.  I have my doubts.

Yip

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Yip: good observations.

23:00 94% and then I read an email & clicked a link. Didn't close the browser

5:15   82% left. Read 2 emails

5:40  78% -- no browser pages open ... but then I checked the "tabs" and there were at least 5 open. So, if the tabs have Flash running or some such thing, perhaps the browser isn't really in sleep mode?

Android has a "task manager" where you can kill rogue processes ...

WHAT WOULD BE GREAT NOKIA  /MICOSOFT IS TO GIVE A MONITORING APP TO PEOPLE LIKE US WHO WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR PLATFORM! I really LIKE Nokia phones. I had an E71 that was far more capabile-- and the battery lasted at least 2 days--than so many on the market (alas, I got screen envy) and I LOVE the look of my 920. I believe in Nokia and I really LIKE the WP8 (some features are missing--different story.) 

I know it has a HUGE battery and it should last ... but there are sneaky things going on in the background that are not terminating/sleeping/suspending correctly and are  sucking the battery dry.

Note: I just went to Settings & background applications--I found that Bloomberg News that was distrubuted with my phone has "background updates" on -- so I turned them off ... that and USA Today and several other apps. Nokia Music, Skype, and extras & info cannot be denied background processing. I have no Live tiles updating, but I do have the photo app doing the photo slide show on my main screen.

As an alternative to IE I also use UCBrowser ... which if you HOME key, asks if you want to exit. If yes, it kills the app, simple as that. Not that this is a trival fix, but I think the MS/Nokia guys are smart enough that they can figure out if on app is "sleeping" but consuming more than 1% an hour ... then terminate OR throw up a toast message: X App will be terminated for resources Y|N or give the users the option for a setting ... this way if there are **bleep** apps, at least I don't worry about my battery getting sucked dry.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Thanks for the feedback on the issues you're having.

I feel like I need to add some pertinent information.  When apps are "frozen" -- meaning they show up in the Task Manager, but aren't currently active -- the intention is that Windows Phone is no longer devoting any resources to those tasks.  If you're familiar with a hibernated PC (or virtual PC), the idea is the same.  This has been the case since Windows Phone 7, and it continues to be the paradigm under which apps are managed.  When a certain number of apps have been "opened", the oldest hibernated/frozen app is discarded to free up memory.  I believe that number has risen to 8 total hibernated apps in Windows Phone 8.

As for Background Tasks, those are intended to only use resources every 30 minutes, save for a few rare apps that garner priority, such as Skype, Nokia Drive, and others.  News apps, weather, and so on are only supposed to be able to update themselves (and their Live Tile) every 30 minutes at the most.

I give this information so that folks don't misunderstand what should be happening vs. what is happening.  Neither hibernated apps or background tasks should be eating outrageous amounts of battery, nor should there really be a need to manually close down apps after you use them.  The current issues aside -- and I've been on Windows Phone for over 2 years now -- these things have managed themselves graciously for me until this phone.  I believe that whatever issues I'm seeing are relegated to this device and/or this particular handset.  In fact, I spoke with a Nokia Support rep earlier today who noted that these issues have been recognized (on these handsets) and that the "fix" has been a replacement device.  I'm currently working on doing just that.

Here's hoping :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

I'm pretty sure I understand what it's supposed to do and how it deviates. The fix is a new handset? PLEASE let me know how this works out. I got mine on day one from AT&T and always felt like I would not make it through the day of what I consider light use without a recharge. But I still love the phone! It hurts to have to put up with this. Can you tell me are you a US customer of AT&T ? I need to get the details of your success. Regards, Paul
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

YES, I'm an AT&T customer in the U.S. (Seattle area).

I spoke with a Nokia Support rep again earlier this afternoon.  Their number is 1.866.665.4298, and they've been very helpful.  They also seemed to be fairly aware of this particular issue, and said that they'd like to have my phone end up with their research department.  Who knows.

At this point, they're shipping me out a replacement handset and I'm shipping mine back to them.  Hassle, yes, but better than dealing with AT&T and "proving" the issue I'm having.  Hopefully I'll have my new phone by mid-week next week.

As for my phone itself, I performed another test today...with additional documentation.  Here goes....

• Unplugged phone at 7AM, fully charged
  • Light usage, some music, 15 minute phone call
  • 12:47pm, 82% charged (workout time!)
  • Watched 24 minutes of Netflix (over data, not wi-fi)
  • 1:11pm, 68% charged
  • Backed out of Netflix app completely (no longer in task manager)
  • Phone still warm to the touch, battery drain messages (Battery app, as previously mentioned)
  • 2:39pm, 50% charged (no usage over the past hour and a half)
  • Rebooted phone to preserve battery
  • 3:51pm, 46% charged

Basically, the same ol' behavior, but this time I backed out of the Netflix app completely.  Same issue occurred.  Time to get this sucker swapped out :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like it was a pretty low hassle event with Nokia which is good. This is my 3rd Nokia and I really want this phone. I'll call tomorrow.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

So...I should have my replacement phone early next week.  Nokia contacted me with a tracking number on the new phone, as well as a return shipping label on the old one.  Definitely impressed with how they've handled this.

I'll report back on how the new phone behaves....especially since I know *exactly* how to test it :smileyhappy:

Yip

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Props to Nokia! I just tried to call & couldn't get through. I'll have to call Monday because of travel. Did you use any magic words or just tell them that once you opened then closed apps, the battery drain was crazy? That's what happens to me and rebooting 2x /day isn't a good solution.
Please use plain text.