Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Drai...

Counsellor
pxdolan

Re: Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Draining

I got a couple of emails, and an escalation notice with a case number. They're going to get back to me.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Good news to report!

Nokia Support promptly shipped a replacement phone to me.  I received the phone late-Monday evening, performed some preliminary testing that evening, loaded the phone up on Tuesday, tested more, and finally had a "very normal" day today.  My surefire "make the battery drain like crazy" test from my previous phone had no affect on this new handset.  That is *very* cool.

Some things I've noticed...

- This phone does not get as warm as my previous handset

- Streaming Netflix over wi-fi consumes noticeably less battery than over LTE

- The screen on this new phone is slightly brighter (at the same MED setting) with a slight yellow hue.  Not an issue

At this point, I believe that my issue is "resolved".  I would encourage anyone who is dealing with a similar battery drain situation to contact Nokia Support (as previously documented) and request a replacement handset.  It appears that some models -- perhaps the earliest batches -- were defective in this regard.  Dealing with AT&T is borderline useless, unless you purchased the phone less than 2 weeks ago.

Lastly, knowing how to repro the issue at will is very helpful. In my case, I could watch 20 mins of streaming Netflix (over LTE), back out of Netflix, and then watch the battery drain at 15-20% per hour until the phone was dead.  Yes, Netflix over LTE uses a lot of battery -- about 10% of battery in 20 minutes for me -- but the battery drain should stop when you're done with Netflix.  On my previous handset it would continue to drain.  On my new handset it works as expected.

I hope this is helpful for others.

Yip

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Excellent news! Mine too is a "day one" handset. I heard back from Nokia, talked with customer support and they are sending a replacement handset. They called with the tracking number today. Once I get the new one, I will test & report back...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

So....it's been an interesting week.  Got my new 920 (thanks, Nokia!) and have been slowly putting it through its paces.  Aside from a "Date pivot bug in the Photos Hub" that I wrote about in another thread -- this issue was on my previous phone as well -- things have been going smoothly.

Well....maybe had been going smoothly.

I didn't use my phone a whole lot this past Friday -- and it was a very different day from my usual work day -- but I noticed that my 3:30pm, my phone battery was at about 36%.  Wait.....WHA????  I thought back over my day trying to figure out what might've caused the battery to have drained so much without a lot of activity.  The only thing that came to mind was the fact that I'd streamed an album on Xbox Music while I was driving -- so using the data/LTE connection.  Otherwise, my usage of the phone had been lighter that typical, and my battery should've been in the 60-70% range.

In an effort to research further, I charged up my phone that night, unplugged at 7am the next morning, and let it sit in one spot.  After a few hours, I was down to 88% battery.  After a few more hours, I was down in the low 70% range -- maybe by 1pm or so.  At bedtime, I calculated that the phone was draining at a rate of 4% per hour -- and this with nearly NO USAGE whatever -- just to check the battery, maybe open email, etc..  After 15+ hours of sitting doing nothing, the phone was down at nearly 35%.  It just didn't make any sense.

Before going to bed, I finally rebooted the phone.  I charged it up again overnight, unplugged again today at 7am, and left the phone in the same spot.  I was gone for most of the morning, got back at 1pm, and checked the phone:  it still showed 100% battery.  It's now just after 3pm, and I've used the phone only slightly -- the battery is still at 100%.

So.......

THE BAD NEWS is that there is still some sort of battery drain event that can take place on these phones.  I don't know what triggers it, but my guess is that LTE is somehow involved.  It's just a theory.  It's nowhere near how my past phone would drain, but it's still an issue.  Perhaps it's a Lumia 920 bug, or perhaps it's something to do with Portico.  It certainly doesn't seem like I had these issues before the Portico update.

THE GOOD NEWS is that a simple reboot appears to resolve the issue.  These phones really seem to have great battery life under the right conditions, but keeping the "right conditions" is a mystery to me.  Streaming an Xbox Music album over LTE (for perhaps 40 minutes) should not have been a big deal.

That's where I'm at right now.  Would REALLY like to know that Nokia is looking into these issues *and* that a fix is on the way.  I'm a patient person, and I love these phones, but I can only be stretched so far....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

I'm getting my new handset this week and will try the same. What I want is diagnostic software and developer mode codes & debugging/ logging software to help SOLVE the problem. I want success for Nokia and MS. It seems that Nokia is listening... What about MS?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

http://mobile.twitter.com/tmyerson terry myerson is the MS head of windows mobile
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Pls disregard previous... Myerson has an account but doesn't use it . .
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

Hi everyone!

Just a friendly reminder...

Given that this is a public forum, our comments and posts are being addressed by the other forum users. However, if you feel that you need further assistance from the Nokia Care (technical or repair issues), the best and only option would be to contact Nokia Support:smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Thanks for the input, Tiny_Chef, but in this case we *have* dealt with Nokia Support, which was helpful. 

We're mainly giving feedback on some issues that are very difficult to track down.  If anything, I think we're helping Nokia Support to better ascertain what the real problems are, since we're creating detailed records of our actions / efforts / troubleshooting with these phones.  I would like to think that Nokia is monitoring these threads and adding to their own knowledge base.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

TC: Thanks for the reminder -- with all respect, what you're seeing is people passionate about HELPING to make a great platform even better.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

NOKIA SUPPORT ROCKS! I received my new handset 5/25 and it was white like my original--I didn't expect that! Minimal set up because my docs and pictures were all backed up on skydrive! No serious usage, BUT 0% drain overnight--so far so good. Still need to sync music and install a couple more apps. I'll continue updates.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

So far, so good?  Any chance you could try the Netflix test that I've used?

• Note current battery %
  • Watch 20 mins of Netflix streaming over LTE (not wifi)
  • Note battery % when finished
  • Note battery % every hour for the next few hours
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

I'm compiling my observations. However, the short answer is:

MUCH better battery life.

MUCH slower drain while idle (e.g. overnight = 6 hours: Battery @ 100% 11:30 & also at 5:30 AM.)

One finding: Skype with TOAST notifications ON drained MUCH fastser (I uninstalled Skype).

I'll attempt to try the Netflix test, also to play a few games which I have not done yet.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Okay: it's Friday and I've had several days to use my new phone. Summary: it works better than my original. Thursday I did the Netlix test. Start 7:53 97% : download Netflix 20 min viewing over LTE Finish: 80% @ 8:15am battery continued to drop (to 69%) over the next hour. Then, it stablized and drained a couple of percent an hour. Until 1:15. I was listening to music & reading the news. The phone got very warm and from 1:15-3:15 the battery went from 62% to 22% while I was in a meeting! So, I rebooted.

At 10:30 pm THURSDAY the phone was 100% charged. I took it off the charger. At 6:00 am it was at 100%. Cut to the chase: light usage, except for a few hours of listening to music, a few emails and a little surfing at 6pm I had 73% battery left ... from 10:30 the previous night!

What seems -- odd:  It seems that Netflix didn't terminate immediately.  SOMETHING happened later...that caused serious battery drain  Skype appears to be a battery drain as well (previous observation)

Theory: Some applications are not terminating correctly and causing battery drain.

My settings: NFC off, Bluetooth off: Location services off: Wifi ON--but do not detect new networks etc.

LTE available all day long.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Thank you for chiming in...and for giving accurate, valuable stats.

Sad to say, I'm (again) seeing some adverse battery life with my *new* Lumia 920 -- much as you are.  In my case, I haven't been using Netflix much, but yesterday I was streaming Xbox Music during my commute home -- probably 35 minutes worth.  After that, the battery seemed to drain very quickly -- even though I wasn't using it much at all.  I decided to NOT reboot and just see what happens.

I charged my phone overnight, unplugged at 5AM, and used almost nothing on the phone until 9AM.  I took screenshots of my battery life at various times throughout today.  Keep in mind that I'm essentially NOT using the phone during this time. Here goes...

• 5AM = 100%
  • (just a few text messages and some photos)
  • 9:50AM = 74%
  • 10:17AM = 70%
  • 11:13AM = 60%
  • 11:57AM = 53%
  • (listened to 20 mins of music on local storage)
  • 12:49PM = 47%
  • 12:53PM = 42%
  • (REBOOT PHONE)
  • 1:26PM = 41%
  • 1:49PM = 39%
  • 2:38PM = 37%
  • 3:31PM = 36%
  • 3:53PM = 35%
  • 4:05PM = 33%

So..........between 5AM (off charger) and 1PM (reboot), I was losing battery at the average rate of 7.5% per hour.  Since the reboot, my battery has decreased at the rate of  2-3% per hour, and I've probably been using it more since 1PM than I was earlier in the day.

Honestly...I'm a very patient person (and I really like this phone), but I'm getting tired of this.  *SOMETHING* is very, very wrong with either this device, with WP8, or with the Portico update.  My research tells me that it is somehow related to high data usage over LTE, since my similar usage over wi-fi only has had very little drain on the battery.

NOKIA -- Please respond to this thread, and please let us know that a fix is in the works.

Sincerely,

Long-time Windows Phone Users

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

I agree that something is running. It would be nice to be able to capture the conditions and figure out what the trigger is. If anything that streams over LTE...Netflix or xbox music...is the culprit, I suspect it's the apps built on the MS Framework and thus the Framework itself that is not terminating properly--so less of a Nokia fix than a MS fix. Unless it goes deeper and is the MS interaction with the LTE api ... Maybe Microsoft needs to see this thread too.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

So, I found some interesting things this weekend....

1. I was able to trigger another "battery drain" event after i used the Nokia Drive app for about 20 minutes on Saturday. My phone had used maybe 10% battery before that, and then afterward it continued to deplete at about 7 or 8% per hour while i was doing almost nothing. I had exited the app all the way, and I was in high signal area.

2. While the phone was in a battery freefall, I decided to put it into Airplane Mode for 30 seconds. Afterward, the battery slowed to a normal drain rate. I had essentially stopped the "drain activity", whatever it is.

Can anyone else try to repro this workaround "fix"?  Also, is there a way to fully disable LTE and only use the older 3G data speed?  I'd like to try that next.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
markk308

I agree that the issue is a battery drain loop or that a certain application is not shutting down property. Even with every app closed and having everything blocked in the background, the battery continues to have a steady drain along with it being warm. I get this result with the use of Baconit. If I use it for quite a while (25min) and I completely back out of it, the battery continues to drain. A reboot resolves this. If I use it for a short amount of time, it seems to be fine.

So unsure if it's a battery loop drain or the app not closing down properly.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Thanks for chiming in, Markk308.

Are you able to repro the "battery drain" issue?  For some of us, that entails using the LTE connection heavily for an extended period of time -- 20 mins or more -- and then seeing what the battery does after that.  Even with all apps manually closed, we're seeing 7-8% battery drain with nearly nothing on the phone being used.

Meanwhile, I discovered this past weekend that putting my phone into Airplane Mode seems to stop the battery drain issue when it occurs.  I would love for others to verify that this "fix" works.  I'm not actually proposing this as a viable long-term solution for these phones, but it's helpful info nonetheless.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

I'm also testing to see if disabling the LTE functionality helps with the "battery drain" issue.  Here's how to do that (instruction initially found here: http://bit.ly/Vvembz).  Screenshots attached.

• Open Dialer
  • Punch in ##3282 and hit Call
  • At the Field Test menu, choose more options via the three dots (lower right)
  • Select Settings
  • Under network type, select "3G only".  UMTS should be set to "Automatic".
  • Change the "Toggle ENS" setting to OFF
  • Back out, power off the phone, and power on again

Note: on these phones, the "3G only" setting will show as 4G in the top bar.  "2G only" will show as E.  "4G only" will show up as LTE.

I'm currently streaming music from Xbox Music over my data connection (wifi = off) to see if the battery drain continues.  I'll report back.

Please use plain text.