Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Drai...

Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Re: Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Draining

As a follow up...

• Rebooted last night
  • Very low battery drain all morning (less than 1% per hour)
  • Watched a (local) 720P video on my phone during my lunch workout -- 45 minutes worth -- and used a fair amount of battery
  • Phone felt "warm", but never hot
  • Phone returned to a "1% per hour" drain afterward

Definitely not just a screen/video/driver issue.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Hit the death spiral this morning. After a reboot last night & 100% @ 6am I'm at 60% & dropping fast. I used UCBrowser, IE, MS Word, 3 text messages, and email reading. No gaming ir Netflix: just normal use with long stretches of inactive idling. MS? Nokia? Is a fix coming?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Okay. More searching this time on the MS site. One observation was that WiFi is the culprit. I don't think it is, but I'm willing to try. One attempt with WiFi off and LTE off. 2nd test with WiFi off and LTE on. Should post back on Monday
Please use plain text.
Contributor
stgemmy

New update is coming! I updated last night, but need to test more. http://www.developer.nokia.com/Blogs/Community/2013/03/14/updates-for-lumia-920-lumia-820-and-lumia-...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
stgemmy

[ Edited ]

I updated my Lumia 920 to 1308.0004 yesterday. However, the phone is overheating on the two areas: Flashlight (Back) & Nokia Logo (Front). The phone's motherboard  is relaced at the same day. Battery keep draining when phone is overheating. :smileyfrustrated:

Moderator's Note: This post was edited to remove references to software mentioned. Only Nokia Care Points are authorized to use this software. Use of it by an unauthorised person mave have unforeseen damaging side-effects, which in turn may invalidate the warranty of a Nokia device; therefore we do not allow it to be discussed on an official Nokia forum.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stgemmy

Battery life keeps draining quickly when the phone is overheating, and it can't be charged via USB if I keep using the phone. The battery life will become 0%. :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Stgemmy: I had a similar issue with my phone & USB charging. I could q use a standard cable for charging, only the Nokia cable. Even then it ws slow. Mine was a day 1 phone and Nokia replaced the unit in February for overheating.i no longer have this issue ... And I do not gave the latest update.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

So, I've been running without WiFi & back ON LTE at for the last 5 days. During that time I have made the following (undocumented) observations:
I've had only one battery draining "death spiral" I believe at the time I had both the music app in the background and IE. Other than that it's been much better than my first phone. No overheating. I'm generally a modest user. Some email, browsing a couple of calls and text messages and music. I listened to hours of music today and 20 hours later I have 50% battery. I just got some "network" update this evening, so I will reboot. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the LTE and WiFi are colliding. I know someone who has a Verizon Droid who, with LTE and WiFi went into a draining death spiral while WiFi checked for an unavailable network.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
akash_c6

My lumia 920 gets heated up too. Its uncomfortably hot and you hold it in your hand after 10 minutes of normal internet browing.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
akash_c6

My lumia 920 gets heated up too. Its uncomfortably hot and you cant hold it in your hand after 10 minutes of normal internet browing.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gbeaux

[ Edited ]

Same issue here.  On my second cyan 920 cause my first gave me the spinning cogs when I reset it.  This one now get really hot and will actually reboot itself.  Happens mostly when I stream music or video or use GPS.  I first noticed it using GPS on a trip when it kept resetting.  I noticed the heat.  I then moved it in front of my AC vent in the car and kept it cool and that solved that issue.  I love the hardware and the operating system and would like to see a fix.  Also, really hot when using Skype.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gebran

On my second black 920: my first, after 2 weeks, would stop receiving SMS for a couple days, back for a week, and then gone again for another couple days.

Both had/have the battery spiraling drain issue (Until I power it OFF and back ON).

I suspect LTE and WiFi are colliding or one of them is not shutting off when walking away from a WiFi coverage zone.

I love the hardware and the operating system and would like to see a fix (still waiting for latest firware update).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

So, with WiFi off I've had good luck with my battery life for the past week--until last night. Played a game. Exited. Got a Nokia network update & applied it. My phone went from 100% at 11pm to under 5% by 5 am. I know the time because at 4% the phone alarm won't sound. Fortunately, I didn't miss a flight. My experience too is that restarting the unit stops the massive draining. It seems like a memory leak. I have this issue on some xp servers where processes just won't die & have to be manually terminated.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Interesting feedback re: having both Wifi and LTE enabled.  It really seems that LTE is more of a battery hog than Wifi, so I would've guessed it to be the primary offender, if at all.  Perhaps I need to run a similar test...

Meanwhile, I've recieved YET ANOTHER replacement phone from Nokia -- another (unused) black Lumia 920.  It shipped with the same OS version, firmware, etc. as my previous phone.  No differences whatsoever.  Battery life was completely normal (light) from 7AM - 12PM today -- dropping less than 1% battery per hour -- and then I played 30 minutes of streaming music (Xbox Music) over LTE during my late commute in to work.  In the hour after playing the streaming music, my battery dropped about 3%.  I'm going to continue to monitor the battery usage this afternoon.

Honestly...I still don't trust these phones.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Keithxm

Me too. Faces the same problem even after sending in for repairs. They said it's normal to heat so much (at least to our standards here). The battery drain is amazingly fast. Dropped 40% in 2 hours with moderately surfing.

Please Nokia, I really hope it's a software issue and that it can be rectify. Still an excellent phone though, but the battery doesn't match the phone's prowess.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

[ Edited ]

So, I've had a few days with my third Lumia 920 handset.

It seemed like this handset could do no wrong, but I was mistaken.  It was fully charged yesterday evening, I watched 45 minutes of Netflix (via LTE, no wifi), captured the battery % afterward, and then left the phone from 10PM until 7AM this morning.  During that time, the battery dropped approximately 3%......over nearly 9 hours.  Definitely acceptable in my book.

On my commute in to work this morning, I streamed about 30 minutes of Xbox Music over LTE.  The battery dropped about 15% from 7AM - 9:30AM, and then another 5% from 9:30AM - 10AM.  It was "in the drain cycle" again.  After a reboot, my battery is showing 44%.  Yay.......

I'm feeling like "three strikes and you're out" with this phone.  I don't know what else to do.

Moderator's Note: This post was edited to remove references to an unauthorized software that was mentioned. This will void the warranty of the device and may cause unforeseen damaging effect once used. We do not want members of the community to be encouraged to use this.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
KennethC

I think we should start a more organized way of posting our results.  Maybe we'll be able to see some sort of pattern more easily.  I was thinking something along the lines of:

LTE On: Yes or No

Wifi On: Yes or No

Connected to Wifi (vs having wifi on and just having it constantly search for a connection): Yes or No

Approximate time noticing drain: _____

What were you doing right before: _____

Approximate Drain Percentage per Hour: _____

Was this fixed after reboot?: Yes or no

Additional Comments:

Thoughts?  Anything to add or get rid of?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
KennethC

I'll start it off:

LTE On: Yes

Wifi On: Yes

Connected to Wifi (vs having wifi on and just having it constantly search for a connection): Yes

Approximate time noticing drain: 1130pm

What were you doing right before: About 5 minutes of Pandora

Approximate Drain Percentage per Hour: 20% (according to battery app)

Was this fixed after reboot?: Yes (went back to 2% drain an hour according to same battery app)

Additional Comments: This test happened right after a new nokia phone update.  Apparently the update did not address this issue, sad face

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Okay--so I've been running for a while now with NO WiFi. --My settings for WiFi were NOT to search and notify only connect to my home network. I'm not sure it wasn't always searching and just not notifying. This seems to help a GREAT DEAL. I've only had a few death spirals in the past couple of weeks and the common thread now seems to be the music app. It's not listening to the music that is the drain, but the fact that the music app (aside from being oddly complicated) is always in the background once you turn it on--it's one of the apps that one cannot block in the background. Where I noticed drain was: I played music, backed out as best I could--so that there was no screen for the music. Then the app seemed to disappear and I went back to the music app. I played music again (all on headphones--so it's not the speakers) and that's when I noticed accelerated battery drain. I restarted (of course) and that stopped the drain. Were there two instances of music running? Note: this is LOCAL music only, not streaming.Other than that, my 2nd handset (after the day one--which was defective) has been very acceptable in power management. I JUST got the big update (4 Nokia apps & then the o/s) so we'll see what happens

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rloonia

i downloaded temple run recently after playing the game for 30mins on my lumia 920 i see battery drain of almost 40%. this sort of battery performance is disgusting.

Please use plain text.