Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Drai...

Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Re: Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Draining

So.........again on my third phone, post-updates (latest Nokia firmware as of late March 2013), and the battery drain is still clearly present.  In fact, I think I've noticed MORE things to fix since the latest firmware than I have things that were fixed.  Meanwhile, I played about 30 mins of music (streaming over LTE) this morning, and have lost 7% of my battery since being done listening to the music.  I did not back out of the application, however.

<sigh>

I'm going to try going NO WIFI for a couple of days and see how things go -- doing my usual battery of tests.

Meanwhile, I'm looking to pick up a Lumia 720.  I think I'm done with this phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gebran

Software upgraded to 1232.5957.1308.00xx and still experiencing the battery drain. One added data point, is that just turning OFF the phone does not stop the drainage (suspect LTE and/or WIFI stuck ON), it is only when it powers up does it get out of that drainage mode. Possibly the full power up reset?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Got the x.1308 upgrade and now the field test code doesn't work so I CAN'T turn off the LTE. LTE was **bleep** today and I wanted to step down to 4G but couldn't. Come ON guys!! Why can't you let us have a little more control? I'd agree to be a test user if I got the test codes.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Was further testing my (third) Lumia 920 yesterday.  Latest (March 2013) firmware, Wifi OFF (as previously suggested), phone rebooted shortly before testing.  I went to the gym, watched about 22 mins of Netflix over LTE, and captured the battery%.  In the hour after watching Netflix, the battery dropped a few percent, but nothing drastic.  In the hour after that, the battery dropped less than 2%, which was VERY promising.

So....in an effort to NOT use the local Xbox Music app, I downloaded Pandora and logged in.  I browsed the app, but did NOT play any music.  In fact, I pretty much did nothing else with the app...and then nothing with the phone for the next hour and a half.  At that point, the phone was noticeably warm to the touch and had drained 16% over 90 minutes.  I rebooted the phone to stop the battery drain.

I'm going to contact Nokia and see if they'll swap the Lumia 920 for another model phone in the Lumia line -- 720, 820, or similar.  I'm done with the Lumia 920.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

I had to put on airplane mode over the weekend to avoid charges in Canada, so I didn't notice anything directly after the big update. Today, after playing music (local and with the Nokia Music app) the phone got warm and drained 8-10% per hour until I rebooted. Once you turn on the music app, you cannot close it. It ALWAYS wants to be in the background--and now a power drain to boot -- which even PLAYING the music should not do. HOWEVER, this evening there was a Nokia music app update ... I downloaded it and we'll see if this helps.

FYI the IE in the background seems to drain the battery as well. Because there is no "close" button, I have resorted to closing all tabs to effectively close the app. I suspect that even in "sleep" mode if there is some graphic thing running on the last web page, this too drains the battery.

If anyone finds the field test code PLEASE post it here. It's handy to have if you need to "step down" from LTE.

Please use plain text.
atsouch

It's not just an AT&T problem. I have the same problems with a black 920 bought in Riyadh (and to replace it I have to go back to KSA! I'm not covered by warranty in other countries) and a friend of mine who bought it in UK and now lives in Canada.

For my phone, 4G and NFC are switched off. I don't use streaming music (Xbox music is not available in most of the countries outside US) and had also completely removed all apps from the phone (including Nokia's maps, drive etc. that may trigger GPS code).

The worst thing is that, probably because of the overheating, the camera has been "destroyed": pink stripes after 20-30 seconds of recording, camera doesn't even start up in 4 out of 5 times etc. making one of the best features of the device completely unusable. The amazing camera was also the reason to go for the 920 insetad of 820.

Hard resets and everything that I could do by myself (being also a mobile devices MVP for 8 years) have been tried...

$650 thrown away. 

Andreas
ex-MVP Mobile Devices
Hellenic Mobility Club
Please use plain text.
Gajoo

So i've been reading this whole thread in the past two hours and it did ring some bells, but I think my lumia is behaving a little bit differently.

I got mine around march 10th, in the first few days, it didn't offer that much battery which is said to be expected. After couple of drains/charges, it started to work better and better every day.  To the point that around two weeks ago it could easily provide me more than 8 hours playing robotek (not really graphic intesive one though) and leaving me enough for occaisional sms or phone calls.  Starting that time, I felt like something changed, my phone which used to drain less than 1%/hour started to drain more. And now it's draining about 3-4% per hour idle time or about 10% when playing games. Today noon I've notice something something strange, it seemed like Camera was some how malfunctioning and givving me only a green screen as discussed in here so I've rebooted my phone (for the first time since it's first boot). but unlike your experiments it kept draing battery at same 3-4% pace, even though I didn't do anything noticible. Also I'm pretty sure LTE problem has nothing to do with me since I'm only connecting to 2G network (pretty old school I know). Also note that listening to the music while having runtastic in the background only increasing battery using up to 5-6% per hour. Tonight after reading several post about extending battery life, I've disabled both "connect with xbox games" and "connect with xbox music", so I'll post again if anything changed tomarrow.

here is other configarutions:

background tasks : all disabled except Battery, "627.AM", and runtastics

emails: download new content as new items arrive

internet sharing : off

wifi.notify new connections : off

wifi.automatically connect to hotspots : on

wifi.send information : off

wifi.keep wifi on: on

Lockscreen : 1min

Bluetooth : off

tap+send : off

data connection : off

battery saver: only when battery is low

backup : off

brightness : automatic

touch sesivity: normal

OS version : 8.0.10211.204

Firmware version: 1232.5951.1249.1002

While it seems my phone has fewer issues compared to your's, but still draing 3-4% per hour seems a little bit higher than expected. It might not seem that important but I've noticed it takes about an hour before before battery level drops from 100% to 99%. I guess this means there is an issue with battery level reporting chip, or is it an expected behavior?

Completely irrelavnt but when I manually check for new updates it says my phone is up to day, any ideas why it can't find the new updates?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fleon

Put me down in the camp of "hot phone, bad battery life".   I am on my 3rd Lumia with this issue, and am pretty frustrated. This has been going on for 4 months for me, and I'm frankly stunned that no one at Nokia has found a fix yet. 

In the U.S. Nokia's brand name isn't that great, and I can guarantee that major issues like this are not helping at all.  For Windows Phones, I'm recommending the HTC 8X over the 920 until they can get this fixed. 

Please use plain text.
Gajoo

Today I surprisingly didn't have any problem with my phone. I'm not sure if it was caused by the soft reset I did last night or if there was anything else involved, but still here is the battery log:

00:15 disconnected from charger 100% 
1:30 still 100% 
7:30 97% 
9:48 95% started Listening to music (from phone memory) till 10:15 

10:40 92%  

11:40 started playing games 

12:10 72% drain rate went up to 30% per hour but the headset just got a little bit warm, didn't feel hot at all 

13:39 68% 

16:10 62% 

18:28 29% in the past two hours I've been playing "fling theory" and then listening to music while reading an ebook (both stored in phone memory) 

22:09 24%

So I guess the case is closed for me, though I'm not sure if it's temprorarily fixed or not.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fleon

So, I'm on phone #3, and I figured I might as well screw around with all the settings trying to figure out if I could figure out what might fix this.  I've done this before, but thought I'd try a few more things.  Here are things I've tried in the past that DID NOT work:

1. turn off all background tasks
  2. uninstall skype / facebook apps
  3. soft reset
  4. hard reset (bricks phone everytime, get gears of death)
  5. reboot
  6. toggle airplane mode
  7. toggle data

So this time around, I thought I'd try other stuff, and here's the one that seems to have fixed my problem:

• Delete facebook account under settings

I don't mean uninstall the app.  I mean go to settings, go to email and accounts, press and hold on facebook and hit delete.  It wouldn't delete the account until I rebooted.  I haven't reinstalled the FB account yet and everything seems ok.  ... so far.

If anyone else wants to try this and see if it works, I'd love to hear from others.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Deleting the Facebook account doesn't really make any sense, but heck....neither has anything else.  I'll give it a try and report back :smileyhappy:

Meanwhile, I've tentatively worked it out with Nokia Support to get swapped for a Lumia 820 phone instead.  YES, it's a downgrade...on many levels, but I don't know what else to do.  At this point I'm rebooting my phone at least every day, and sometimes more often - just to stop the battery drain.  I'd rather get a bit less of a phone but with a stable battery situation.  <sigh> 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fleon

Well, update.  Deleting the FB account didn't fix it.  Seemed fine for a day or so, now back to the warm phone.   I am very curious whether people with HTC 8X phones are having the same issue or if it really is simply a 920 exclusive problem.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

I would also like to know if the HTC 8X has the same issue, but my guess is no.  I've (personally) also tested a Lumia 820 and a 620 -- neither of which had this issue.  It seems specific to the Lumia 920.

I have a Lumia 720 which should be arriving tomorrow. I'll test that and report back as soon as I can.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

Sounds drastic. I had to downgrade from the 1308 update because there was something rendering my LTE unusable and I couldn't disable it. After rolling back to 1249, I've been keeping WiFi off which seems to have improved battery life some days it seems to drain faster than it should however I have no Facebook or Twitter app. I deleted Skype long ago when I figured the toast notifications were draining my battery. Overall I don't have huge problems, but I do feel like I'm babysitting my phone and monitoring it all the tome which is distracting
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Chrisvn

Fleon wrote:

Well, update.  Deleting the FB account didn't fix it.  Seemed fine for a day or so, now back to the warm phone.   I am very curious whether people with HTC 8X phones are having the same issue or if it really is simply a 920 exclusive problem.

Apparently not.

Guess the fault is coming from Microsoft.
Planning on trading my Nokia Lumia 920 as soon as the repairs are done, but since it is going to 2 weeks I'm oh so curious if for starters Nokia or Microsoft will acknowledge the problem and if they are going to give us a date to fix it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

Any word if the recently released 1314 update helps with the battery drain?

http://www.wpcentral.com/lumia-920-1314-firmware-announced-may-fix-att-phones

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fleon

Well- I fixed my problem (sort of), or at least identified what I think it causing it.  I turned off push on my main account and set it to just update "daily."  Problem did not reoccur.  Turned push back on and it seems to be happening again.

I'm going to try it with a 30 minute update now and see how that works. 

Current theories:

• Bug in push
  • Corrupted contact
  • Corrupted calendar entry

So I'll keep playing around with it and see how this goes...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Chrisvn

Fleon wrote:

Current theories:

• Bug in push
  • Corrupted contact
  • Corrupted calendar entry

Take calendar entry of the list, I didn't even touch calendar when I used my phone and it heated up and contact seems impossible as well (only synced those from my SIM card).
Guess that leaves it to push, which I sencerly doubt.

My guess would be that it might be the attenae as most problems seem to be fixed when lowering the communication possibilities however, I once switched off the data trafic (2G/3G/LTE) because I use Wi-Fi extenders to make sure I have connection throughout the house and while sitting right next to one, it still suffered from overheating. Everything else was off (Localisation, Tap to send, Bluetooth) so that leaves us with the cellular network but I never encountered this problem with my HTC Desire HD, still I live in a hilly area with bad reception so if the fault truly lies on a phone trying to hard to reach a network I might as well bring it in.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gebran

[ Edited ]

With all the attempts to narrow it down to an applications, here is something to ponder. All the apllications that can be turned off from the background are. Nothing was running when I put the phone down before going to bed. Battery level was at 85% around 9 PM, woke up in the morning at around 9:30 AM and battery level was at 11%.

The only thing that I can remotely think of that may be different, since this never happened to me before, is a todo item that I had put the reminder to snooze and in the morning when I turned on the phone, the reminder was on the lock screen. Could that have caused a 6% an hour drain with no usage?!?

The phone had gone into battery saver mode so this must have caused whatever was draining the battery to shut off and as such it was not hot by the time I woke up and found it at 11%.

I am attaching the capture from the battery widget app that I use to keep track of battery usage.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fleon

Question for you guys:

Do any of you use Outlook (the program, not just the service)?   And did any of you use the beta version of Outlook 2013?

I think I've narrowed the problems down to syncing with calendar and/or contacts.  And right now I think it's likely calendar.  I used Outlook to delete ALL my events and contacts, but something is clearly failing on the sync from my PC to the server.  I have things that shouldn't exist anymore- birthdays that didn't get deleted and refuse to delete even from the website, other calendar events that do delete from the website, but should have been deleted when I used Outlook to delete the calendar locally. 

I think we are seeing a problem similar to the bug in iOS6 where a sync conflict starts a loop and can't resolve.  This keeps the phone CPU running (and probably the radio) until the phone just runs out of battery.  I'll see if I can get with the Live Calendar guys that I know and maybe get my calendar account completely deleted and re-set up.

Please use plain text.