Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Drai...

Counsellor
pxdolan

Re: Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Draining

I cannot apologize for this. This o/s was designed to leave all sorts of things "sleeping" in the background. My experience is that when I do that, battery drain becomes an issue--especially with IE and many tabs. Who KNOWS what's going on there--but it doesn't seem like sleep. I have tabs on the left setting of IE and then close them all. A real PITA, but mostly I use one of the other browsers that I can actually CLOSE by hitting home and then the Windows back button. Usually a restart helps the drain. Sometimes a soft reset is required. Hard reset involves getting EVERYTHING back again. On AT&T I'm running build .1314.0001 This seems to have helped the most sever issues--however that's with just about everything turned off: WiFi,NFC, Sharing, location, and all background updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
futuredave

Seems like a lot of hassle just to have a phone that doesn't run flat in a few hours...  Can you recommend an alternative to the standard IE?  I appreciate the replies.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

It's unfortunate that these phones have us treating apps a certain way in order to acheive normal battery life.  It's not entirely unlike Apple saying "you're holding it the wrong way" when the iPhone 4 had massive reception issues.

Let me say this: You do not need to back out of apps to acheive normal battery life.

It was recommended by Nokia when the Nokia Drive app was first released (and was buggy), but the Windows Phone architecture does not inherently need that type of babysitting.  In my extensive testing, I've not seen the Lumia 920 (or any Windows Phone) have better battery life by backing out of apps.  Even better, in other (non-920) phones, I've treated the apps exactly as they ought to be treated -- without special exception -- and the battery life has been excellent.  The Lumia 720, for instance, has incredible battery life, and I was never, ever backing out of any applications.

The Lumia 920 phones have issues.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gebran

3 weeks after the 1314 FW upgrade which has definitely made things better with the battery drain for my usage pattern.
I had not had any incidents of battery drain, including 12 or so different App updates over this last weekend (May 5).
Until yesterday (May 6), I accepted/installed an update of Nokia's "Here City Lens" App and without opening the App after it upgraded, I felt the phone being warm for several minutes and battery drain rate was at 3.5% an hour. I opened and closed the App, then did a power OFF and back ON restart. Which brought the battery usage back to the 1% per hour normal range.

gebran wrote on 2013-04-22:

It has been over a week since I got the 1314 upgrade. I have to say that I am not able to reproduce the problem at will anymore. :smileyhappy:

I may have been too quick to hit the panic button (power OFF/ON) when I noitced the problem about to happen right after the upgrade.

Battery usage (and temperature) goes back to "normal" shortly after phone is "idle".

gebran wrote on 2013-04-14 :
Forgot to mention that yesterday I have received and updated to FW version .1314.

Too early to tell if that has any effect on this issue, nothing in the release notes seem to indicate that t does, but one can always hope! :-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

try UC Browser
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

@gebran same thing happened to me. 1314 has been good to me. WIth moderate usage, a couple of times I went 36 hours without needing a recharge. I downloaded a playlist from Nokia music. Listened for a couple of hours. I didn't pay much attention to the battery. Fully charged at 11pm- 24% @ 5am! When I checked, sure enough, Nokia City Lens had "unblocked" itself from the background tasks on the last update .... City Lens seems to be the culprit here, but I cannot rule out Nokia Music
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

I still think that programs like Nokia Music and City Lens are "triggers" and not the actual culprits themselves.

Don't great me wrong -- I want to solve this as much as anyone does -- but I think we're dancing around the true problem (the 920 itself) and looking to blame apps, data networks, and whatever else.  In this case, the Nokia Music and City Lens apps have had no bearing on my phone issues....since I never used/installed either of them.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gebran

[ Edited ]

My hunch also is that it is somwhere at the Hardware/Firmware level. Given that a FW upgrade (1314) made things better would give that indication as well. Even if it is a hardware issue with the 920, there are almost always some way to address it in Firmware. Hardware engineers are my best buddies when I fix their problem with a firmware/driver tweak! :-)

Let's hope for another FW upgrade soon that helps reduce (if not eliminate) this issue further.

Yipcanjo wrote:

I still think that programs like Nokia Music and City Lens are "triggers" and not the actual culprits themselves.

Don't great me wrong -- I want to solve this as much as anyone does -- but I think we're dancing around the true problem (the 920 itself) and looking to blame apps, data networks, and whatever else.  In this case, the Nokia Music and City Lens apps have had no bearing on my phone issues....since I never used/installed either of them.

Please use plain text.
JacoSchu

Well, I'm hoping a firmware update will solve it but I'm a bit more worried that it's a design flaw. It looks like it's some kind of thermal runaway (the hotter it gets the more current is consumed, at least in poorly designed amplifiers).

If the phone manages to heat up then there seems to be no stopping the battery from draining (power cycles don't work).  The only success I've had is turning off the phone and allowing it to cool down, only then the battery usage returns to normal (until some app or connection activity manages to heat it up again, I guess). 

This is really horrible, two days ago I had a discharge rate of 23 % an hour (the fastest I've seen), sometimes it's fine and can last up to 2.5 days under normal use. I wonder if Nokia knows that they've messed up and are scared that it is going to hurt sales; that's why they're not really vocal about it. If it is a design flaw, how does this affect the end user? Would we be reimbursed somehow?

Pity though, I really love my lumia 920 :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gebran

In the latest battery drain occurence, I noticed that when I press the power key to swipe and unlock the phone ,the Wi-Fi Icon did not appear to indicate that it is connecting. Normally, I see the Wi-Fi icon go full gray and then start "flashing" to indicate that it is connecting, then full bright to show that is is connected to the Wi-Fi signal before it auto-hides itself along with the other icons on the top bar.

Which leads to me to conclude that the Wi-Fi is stuck ON draining the battery at a rate of around 3% per hour.

I had not paid attention to this in other times which have been very few since the 1314 FW upgrade. So, I can not say for sure whether this happens evrytime I have run into this problem.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

I think your summary is right-on, JacoSchu.  Some sort of "thermal runaway" appears to be the issue, and (as far as I can tell) is limited to the Lumia 920....since I've also personally tested the Lumia 620, 720 and 820.  I could not get any of those phones to repro the same "battery drain" issue.

I would love to see Nokia extend the olive branch on affected Lumia 920 customers.  I doubt it'll happen, though.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JHui

turn off location service, problem solved.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

@JHui -- Please don't post comments like this.  Clearly you have *NOT* read through this thread, nor have you tested extensively.  Although turning off "Location Services" may help for a short time, it is not the fix.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Yipcanjo

By the way....I just ordered a white Lumia 928 phone to test (and hopefully) keep.  I will be testing for battery drain issues right away, of course, and will report back here.

Thanks,

Yip

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fredmaes

I have reset my Lumia 920 multiple times and I also set background tasks off, but nothing keeps my phone for getting too hot. It is a 920.1 version. Nokia please help
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
thiagobr

Hi,

I have a Lumia 920 which I bought months ago, and as I live in Brazil, I was waiting May to get it unlocked and functional here. So I started using it this week and as soon I configured it I noticed the problem with battery draining. I charged it last night and let the airplane mode on during the night, and today I noticed the battery indicator getting lower. I was almost connecting the charger when I decided to reboot it. Voila, the battery indicator was at 70%. Before the reboot was at 15%. So, it appears that could be a software problem insted a hardware one. Maybe an update could resolve it. 

Cheers,

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Tenchi

Nokia, what's the status on this issue? Many are probably like me and have followed this thread for months yet haven't posted anything. This is happening more often lately, and I, like the rest of us here, are in dire need of a fix. What should we do? The phone is draining as I post this with it. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gebran

+1

Tenchi wrote:
Nokia, what's the status on this issue? Many are probably like me and have followed this thread for months yet haven't posted anything. This is happening more often lately, and I, like the rest of us here, are in dire need of a fix. What should we do? The phone is draining as I post this with it. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zubenubi

+1
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
blucas

I have had this phone for a month and it's a huge disappointment. Battery life stinks, reception is terrible and there are little to no apps available for this dud. 

The battery gets really hot when using wifi and when charging the phone in general. I remember having a Nokia candy bar phone back in the early 2000's and it did the same thing. 

Windows phones not having flash is just bad. Period. 

Please use plain text.