Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 - Display shattered (India)

Advisor
rohit303

Lumia 920 - Display shattered (India)

Hi All,

I am very sad to post this thread..Its all about my dear dearest. Last day i met with an accident and my phone fell down facing down. While taking it, i was assumed that the powerful gorilla should have taken care of the impact. Ah, well, it took care of the display, a sacrifice i have seen there. The gorilla glass shattered. From the top left corner diagonally. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: The phone is working perfectly. She is able to sense the touch everywhere across the display. The front cam is working. WiFi is working. I checked whatever i can. I have waited for this phone since the announcement and finally got it on 11th January - India. Just 29 days old :crying: 

I contacted the nokia care center asking for the replacement. They asked for the color of my phone and told will call back. After 2-3 hours as agreed they responded; they told me it is available. It would take 1 hour. And the cost is 13900 INR. I told i will call back. My question is, can i trust them? I agree that it is nokia care center only. But why they have taken that 3 hour gap. Straight away they could have told know. Is there any possibility that they would order from third party vendor or from ebay and gave me the replacement. How can i know that it is going to be the same one present in my phone now. I really dont want to give them my phone and any unskilled engineer to do his experiments. Will they do it carefully. Will i get the 332 ppi display with Super sensitive touch & Sculpted 2.5D glass. Will i get the PureMotion HD+ technology. I am worried. I have had a bad experience previously from one care center. They have not handled the phone properly. They sticked some order id on display. I dont need all those to happen on this phone. And on top of that, does the original parts will be shipped to the service centers along with the product launch.?? I am totally worried. Someone please suggest. And is there any chance to change the front gorilla glass alone so that my original factory assembled display will be untouched. 

PS: It is very painful to look at my phone presently

Thanks All...

Rohit

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

HI, sorry to hear that and I know what you mean it's sad to look at your phone when it has a crack on the screen.. I had the sam ehing happen with my Lumia 800 but fixed it myself. I'd suggest you ask the Nokia Care Point these questions and also to let them know you will check the quality and functionality of the repaired phone in the store before you pay them.

Replacing the screen is relatively easy so the repair time of one hour sounds right to me. You can also ask them to show you the packaged replacement part which should show you it is a genuine Nokia part (and packaging). Also when the repair is done ask them to keep and return the dmaged part. You can compare that to what the replacemet looked like when you saw it first.

Finally you can always verify with Nokia Care if the Care Point is an official one.

Take a bit more time if you want to make sure.. Better wait for a day or two if you must to verify whatever you want.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rohit303

Thanks for your reply paulheu...I badly need it back as it was and need them to take utmost care while doing the dis assembly. I would like to know one more thing, is it not possible to change the digitizer alone? As from my understanding, digitizer & lcd, both are being seperate parts, i hope it can be done..what do you say...And how much does it costs..Appreciate your comments on the pricing for digitizer / lcd

Regards

Rohit

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

As far as I know Nokia only has the complete screen assembly as spare part, at least that is the case for the 800. I can't give you any pricing, but google (and ebay) are at least an indication..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
eXntiC

ive tryed the same thing. The phone was ringing and i took it out of my pockect, then it slipped out of my hand and hit a concrete floor whit the screen and shattered. I had the glass/screen fixed by the shop where i bought the phone i payed around 215 USD for the repair, but now when the phone is under a temperature of 15C the touch screen  won't respond. If hold it in my hand to heat it up a little it slowly starts responding again.. Thats not normal right ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

eXntiC wrote:

but now when the phone is under a temperature of 15C the touch screen  won't respond. If hold it in my hand to heat it up a little it slowly starts responding again.. Thats not normal right ?

No, that doesn't sound normal at all. The screen should be responsive at any temperature and shouldn't need warming up. I'd go back to where you had your phone repaired and ask them to have a look.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rohit303

Hi eXntiC,

Does the spare included the outer case as well? From what you told, i understand that your digitizer was broken, and they replaced both the digitizer and screen. From ebay, i have seen that OEM digitizer & screen come along with the case. As the front housing does not holds anyother thing other than the digitizer & lcd. Since the digitizer is sticked into the front case, i m worried in my case if they are not replacing the case, it would not be perfect.. :crying: Regretting alot for the damage i caused to my phone :crying: :crying: :crying: i really dont want to disassmebly my phone :crying: it would affect it somewhere...

Regards

Rohit

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rohit303

Hi paulheu,

From where can i confirm that nokia has made available the spare parts to the care units? I dont want to check with the care units. Since all of them are outsourced third party vendors, they would say it for business. I have sent an email to customercare.india@nokia.com but no response so far. I just need to confirm regarding the integrity on the spare part. It should be the original one as in the factory assembled.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
michaels

When a Nokia Care point carries out a non-warranty repair, they will quote you a price which includes any spare parts required plus their labour charges for carrying out the work. If you have any further queries concerning the price advised, you would need to check that with the individual repairer.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

Does the spare included the outer case as well?

Since the digitizer is sticked into the front case, i m worried in my case if they are not replacing the case, it would not be perfect..

Actually the way the Lumia 920 (and 800/900) are constructed is very clever and the screen snaps right into place when replaced. Su son't worry about the case as it is a solid polycarbonate body not easily damaged especially not by the screen assembly..

From where can i confirm that nokia has made available the spare parts to the care units?

Ask them to show you the packaging which should show you it's genuine Nokia parts. While in some countries, like the UK, you can just buy the parts and do the repair yourself if you like for most his needs to be done by and at a Nokia Care Point.

Like I said before you can verify with Nokia Care if the care point is genuine..

---

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rohit303

Thanks All for the comments... i have given my phone to the nearest nokia care center. They sent it to the expert care center. Hope, i will get it back by this week end. I will get to know about the pricing once it reaches back. Care center guys have told Appx 11.5K INR... Will post the pic once i receive the handset. 

Many Thanks,

Rohit 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rohit303

I got a call from NCU Bangalore team last day stating that the phone is not repairable. This is the information they got from the expert care center. (gurgaon or delhi, i am not sure). While handing over the phone, the phone was perfectly working. I have not seen a damage on the LCD..The digitizer alone is broken. I m pretty sure about it. Guys, please note their statement..The motherboard is having some physical damage, hence they are not able to assemble the new display...!!! I dont understand this.. Its not at all logical!!!! The phone is fallen from a 3 feet height. I agree, the digitizer can break with the impact. There is no mark anywhere outside the poly carbonate body. I have not seen the LCD cracked anywhere. The touch was working perfectly. And now my simple question is, if these guyz have managed to find out this "Physical damage on the motherboard", the display is assembled to a motherboard by some means of flex right???? Seriously guyz i m screwed. Are these guys are that ignorant?? I spent around 38K INR for the phone, now just because either the spare part is not available or they don't know the process, i have to collect back the phone as such...!! And one last question, If they were not able to assemble the new LCD, how come they assembled back my old broken display...! i asked the same question to NCU bangaloe team. They dont have an answer. They told they need to check it out. Guys, is there any spoc for addressing this things in this company? Anyone to care about the customer concern....? I had the trust in Nokia...I had the trust in the brand. I had the trust in their products. Now what... When i have a concern, there is no single guy from the team who acknowledges for it. Pretty bad. Never expected from the brand. If the manufacturer tells there is no workaround for their flagship phone, (just because the phone fell down from a 3 feet height) the customer has to sacrifice.??
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rohit303

[ Edited ]

No one is concerned to address this?!....
Have seen the 620 today..One of my friend brought. I heard, nokia is giving free insurance for their products..covers physical damage as well. for one year. i wish i had the same offer for mine...But I don't know, i m ready to pay,but they say it is not repairable...Guys, any expert from India, please respond..or whom i can contact..

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

Hi rohit303,

Given your situation, the best course of action is to contact Nokia Support about your concern: http://www.nokia.com/support. They can further assist you onto this matter.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
parna

Same happened to me too. My Lumia is not even a month old and is under Warrenty period. It slipped today when it was placed not even at the hight of 1mtr. I thought Nokia phone, as they always have been, a hard phone to be cracked so easily. To my surprise, the display suddenly went black.  Now, when I checked with a Nokia Care at Mehdipatnam, Hyderabad. they charged me around 6000/-INR. I was shocked. The phone is under warrenty. Any idea why they charged so high?

on the other hand, my friend had similar experience with Samsung Galaxy. Her display was visibly shattered. She got it replaced at no cost. Not sure, why we are facing such differences, but if this under T&C of Nokia, then need to be extremely  careful before chosing a next Nokia product. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Answered in Point No. 2 under 'What is not covered ?' HERE

..and seriously doubt your claims about the other product. Just Google for the other product's Warranty clauses and a similar statement is found there too ...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
parna

With a real time experience, I didn't have to google for other companies. However, I realized that Lumia is extremely frazile and breakable. Our company provides other options too and now I'm suggesting all of my colleagues to go for either Iphone or Blaberry. at least they can save time and money!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
guruprs

I have the same problem now. I am wondering if you could let me know whether or not your digitizer was replaced. Also, how and what was the cost? Any additional information would be very helpful.. thanks for your time.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

IF you think iPhone has less problems with broken screens have a good look around. There is no such thing as unbreakable screens yet and no, Gorilla glass is not break proof or even resistant. It's SCRATCH resistant.

---

Please use plain text.