Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: ve Re: Lumia 920 Front Camera

Registered Member
josh555

ve Re: Lumia 920 Front Camera

I'm on my 3rd 920 now and all three have had dust accumulation in the front camera. There has to be an easy fix they could have done to seal it off better.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Same problem here.

Please use plain text.
Kuturgan1

Today I tested the rubber stopper on my Lumia 920. Rubber stopper works fine and it doesn't silence the earpiece, BUT first of all, you should cut off two-thirds of the stopper (be careful not to loose the piece when you cut it off because it is so small) and plug-in only the hat + about 5mm of the base with the ring on it. If you cut off the ring the stopper wont be properly hold in the socket. Hope you can see it on the image. Hat+base+ring

Please use plain text.
gwh622

Re: Lumia 920 Front Camera - UPDATE

Nokia swapped out my original 920 because of a "defect" and shipped me a new handset.  No details were provided to me as to the nature of the defect.

Roughly three weeks after receiving the new unit however I have experienced the exact same problem:  dust is has appeared on the front facing camera and the screen goes dark after placing/receiving a call (presumably because the dust has covered the sensor).

I have another call in to Nokia and am awaiting a response.

I am going to have to check out our other phone later tonight to see if it has any dust.  That one is carried in my wife's purse whereas mine is either on my desk or in the front pocket of my pants, headphone jack down.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Same problem here.

Please use plain text.
gwh622

I've had my third 920 barely a week and there is dust on the FFC already.  Performance has not yet been compromised but I know it will happen soon.

This is crazy frustrating.  Is there going to be a 930/Catwalk for AT&T that can replace what seems to be a lemon? 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
soutarm

Re: Lumia 920 Front Camera

I've had my 920 for 1.5 months now and I have the black screen during calls problem and the dust in the front camera problem. My temporary solution to the black screen problem is to lock the unlock the phone, during unlock you get half a second to hit the hangup button (if you miss it, try again). Of course, if I ever need to use the keypad while on the phone (e.g. dialed into an automated system) I'm screwed. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Today I have been speaking with a man from Nokia, and he told me that yesterday they sent a worldwide message to service companies that fix and repair Nokia phones (including Nokia Care).

The information they sent was about the dust problem on Lumia 920! They now have a new repair kit ready with a new type of gasket that prevent dust from coming into the phone! So all Lumias that is going to be repaired now, will be equipped with this gasket.

So finally....they came up with a solution!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Antistatic wrote:

Today I have been speaking with a man from Nokia, and he told me that yesterday they sent a worldwide message to service companies that fix and repair Nokia phones (including Nokia Care).

The information they sent was about the dust problem on Lumia 920! They now have a new repair kit ready with a new type of gasket that prevent dust from coming into the phone! So all Lumias that is going to be repaired now, will be equipped with this gasket.

So finally....they came up with a solution!!!

This is good news! Hope it is true...

Please use plain text.
gwh622

Just received my 4th (but actually the 5th) 920.  It's actually the 5th because they pulled one and tested it but it failed, so they had to try another unit.

I have been told that this one is the one that will be my forever phone, time will tell.

Still love the phone itself though.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
techjmw

I am having the same frustrating problem.  How can we tell if a new phone will not have this issue, is there a build date or identifiable informaiton that will differentiate the new improved seal from the old model that has the issue? 

I am in the US and received my Lumia 920 on day 1 of availability, hopefully the one I get replaced does not suffer from this issue. I will report back after going down to ATT for a replacement.

Please use plain text.
jspugh

Brand new red 920, one and a half days later notice dust in front facing camera. Also noticed that if you look right above the camera in between the glass and the bezel there seems to be a small open spot. I'm guessing this is where the dust is coming in.
Other issues - 1) when using front facing cam for a video there seems to be a section out of focus, near one edge. 2) purplish tint to some pictures when it deals with background light. 3) connection speeds are about the same or SLOWER than my old atrix2. 4) seems like a loose charging connector.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
madapo

this is not the solution. Nokia I think sleep. And my Nokia Lumia 920 Yellow have dust.
Please use plain text.
jspugh

Swapped this out for red Nokia 920 number two and same issue with front camera, plus added an extremely hot top section....
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kumaranunay123

I am having the same dust issue on my front camera and after reading many of the queries, why should I get my Nokia device repaired/opened up just for a couple months use, shouldn't there be a straight forward replacement option, I mean Nokia should recall the device and have them replaced. This is a genuine desing issue.

Please use plain text.
HYMC

I fully agree that Nokia should recall & fix the dust issue free if charge. I'm so embarrassed to show the camera picture quality. Its way bad compared to my wife's Ativ S. The Ativ S front camera picture quality looks so clear & sharp void of noise. If you don't enlarge the picture, you would think i

t was taken with rear camera.

Nokia please improve the front camera picture quality!

Please use plain text.
scalawag

This is my second Black 920. I had the proximity issue after 2 weeks not being able to end calls etc as well as The lens on the front camera being filthed up. I got a replacement 920 from Phones 4 U but unfortunately the dirty lens is back and now the touch screen will not work. My wife also has a Yellow 920 and her lens is getting dirty. Clearly there are some serve design flaws and not an isolated issue.  I'm going to take it in to be repaired I will post my progress.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sverre1208

Dear all, NOKIA in particular.....

I am FLABERGASTED that NOKIA has not yet done something to address this problem, or respond to the MANY fora ('forum's' in plural I beleive) around the Internet describing this issue. There are several stream/threads here alone on NOKIA's own suport forum about this dust issue.

I was, like many of you, excited to get a Lumi920 to use and showcase an alternative to the market dominator out there ...and the combination of the 920 and WP8 seemed like it was ready for the challenge.

But I keep loosing all the coffeetable discussions with others when I show them my handset - and they immidiately see the dust on the front facing camera..... Gees i even tried explaining that it was a special finnish style built in instagram rustique picture filter - but it only made some of the peoplelaugh at the phone.

NOKIA - please provide a fix to this....and then you might be on track to adressing your share price valuation ! 

Sverre

PS - I ALSO have the proximity issue - but I can actually keep ignoring that - but the dust is killing the use of forward facing camera - so any video messaging calling or feature in any app is POINTLESS.

Please use plain text.