Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 - How to backup SMS Text Messages?

Contributor
Peds1969
Accepted Solution

Lumia 920 - How to backup SMS Text Messages?

Hi

I used to have a Nokia N8 and used Nokia suite to backup (and when needed restore!) SMS Text message on my phone to my PC.  How do you do that with the Lumia 920.  I don't mind backing up to the cloud if I can't backup to my PC but I just can't seem to find a backup option.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Re: Lumia 920 - How to backup SMS Text Messages?

[ Edited ]

Settings > Backup

This backs up your messages to Skydrive.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Peds1969

Have a look at this resource for more detail:http://www.wpcentral.com/backing-and-restoring-personal-data-windows-phone-8

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
billabong14

am i correct in believing that my text messages are backed up/saved to "the cloud"? if so how do i find them and if i delete the messages off my phone will they also be deleted off "the cloud"?

Please use plain text.
billabong14

and umm how do i post my own questions?

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

@billabong14

You can post your own concern by going to the correct Board/Folder, then on top of the screen, you can see New Message. Click on it and it will give you an option to create a new thread/or post your own concern.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

And to answer the other question I understand that it is the case that if you delete the messages off the phone they will be deleted from the cloud as well the idea is that it is a back up rather than actually saving messages. To save them you'd have to copy the text and paste it to some other form of document which can be stored.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gdarnton

Re: Lumia 920 - How to backup SMS Text Messages? - how to bypass the incredibly intrusive Microsoft

Am I correc t in surmising from all the comments here, that Nokia no longer has a simple mechanism like Nokia Suite I can use to connect a Lumia 920 and copy all my SMS messages?

If the Lumia 920 is to be used for business purposes, it is a legal requirement that all texts that are business relevant for tax or contractual reasons, must be retained for at least 6 years. I don't want my material stored by Microsoft who will have access to it for all kinds of purposes such as determining subject matter maybe to focus advertising, I do want a copy on my own PC completely under my control. If I delete messages from my phone, I don't want any deletions synchronized with my copies of messages - I need to be able to save messages after they have been deleted from the phone to save space.

At the moment, the highly intrusive existence of Microsoft in the synchronization loop, and the difficulty of synchronizing the phone and my PC to ensure I retain messages is giving off a distinct odour that it may now be non-compliant software and environment with respect to tax, accounting, and contractual retention standards.

Am I correct, or am I worrying unnecessaily because there is some simple mechanism to connect a Lumia 920 to my PC to save whatever I choose, and avoiding the severe intrusiveness of Microsoft? There are additional privacy and security issues created by putting Microsoft in the loop in the way it seems to have been done. If my worries are correct, I am astonished that Nokia management permitted such breaches or privacy and control, particularly given the strength of European Data Protection requirements, let alone business compliance standards.

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

There is no equivalent of Nokia PC suite. The SMS back up is a back up only. If SMSs are deleted from the phone they will be deleted from the back up.

If you want to store SMSs off the phone the only way I can think of is to copy and paste them to a word document, email it to your PC and then delete the suits document on your phone.
Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

Re your other comments re data security etc I don't know where you are geographically located but I'm struggling to imagine any contract or tax issue which would not also be documented in email and/or paper form.

So fat as privacy as far as I am aware the only persons who can access your Skydrive account are the persons you permit depending on whether you make documents public. In my case for example me only. Microsoft will not be snooping in your Skydrive account.

I'm also not aware of any smart phone which replicates the Nokia Suite software. The non Windows OS phone which I use as my main handset does permit SMS to be saved off the phone in a number of ways via several cloud options or to the phone's external storage card but there's no direct to computer option.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gdarnton

Geographically, I am in the UK. That means most contracts do not even need to be in writing. It is simply a matter of best available evidence. When you say you are struggling to imagine a contract that is not also evidenced by email or paper, what is the difference between email and SMS? The problem is that it is the limitations of the technology that are forcing people away from SMS. Also, there are other texts not needed for tax or contractual reasons, but people may wish to keep.

Your comment about other smart phones is exactly correct. That's why I threw out Blackberry and reverted to Nokia - Blackberry, for business purposes, is only good of large businesses that have the Blackberry server to manage texts, or kids. Now it looks like Nokia have just made a serious retrograde step for anyone who wants to keep any SMS messages simply and without interference from anyone else such as Nokia or Microsoft.

The whole gist of this dicussion thread is that I am not alone in wanting a simple mechanism to save SMS texts to my PC - why does Nokia have such a big problem with that? (particularly given that it had solved the problem with Nokia Suite). I met exactly the same issue with the Blackberry I had - it didn't take long to find that many of their users have exactly the same requirement. The smartphone manufactiurers are just not listening to their customers. There is greater pressure by the likes of Microsoft to get things in the cloud, because that makes life so much easier for activities such as profiling and possible advertising. The smartphone manufacturers are part of a massive erosion of personal privacy....and don't give me a response that I don't have to use them - the point is that it is deliberate corporate activity to get access to more consumer data to improve monetization efforts.

Given the number of high profile breaches of security into systems of corporations who should have known better, having blind faith in their security mechanisms is only that - a matter of faith.

Perhaps the real problem is that the mobile phone industry is still an unregulated inustry with respect to things like privacy, security, and customer ease of access.

The bottom line is that Nokia already have working technology (Nokia Suite) that does the job, but in their infinite wisdom have chosen to replace it for the Nokia 920 with highly intrusive and much more complex Microsoft synchronization mechanisms. I understand completely that the Microsoft synchronization mechanisms will be a great benefit to many people - but there are also many who wish to retain the simplicity and greater privacy of something like Nokia Suite.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gdarnton

Yes, that is what I suspect. Probably I will have to wait until some entrepreneur produces a device to crack the backup files and allow me to keep copies in the way I want.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ma1346

It is not just SMS. I want to back up my whole phone in case to bring back all of my setting (even Start tiles) and all my apps. If you flash your phone it is hassle to make it as it was before.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
QBoonen

I'm with Gdarnton on this one. One of the reasons I bought a Lumia 920, is because I loved Suite. Who would have thought their new flagship would be alianated!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Adamastos

[ Edited ]

I struggle to come to grips with the total lack of foresight from Nokia AND Microsoft!

How difficult can it be to realise that with the ease of use and success of Nokia (OVI) Suite since 2002, that you at least have to EQUAL the functionality of Nokia Suite and THEN only provide the OPTION for people who would want to expose their data to the world via the "cloud"!

This backward step from Nokia has me as a Nokia supporter of more than 20 years, seriously considering Android!

My Nokia 6310i and PC Suite was a hell of a lot more user friendly and versitile than my Lumia 920 and WP8!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Advansys

I agree that this is a significant oversight.  While I like the Nokia 920 for the most part, I am at a loss at their discarding the utility of the Nokia Suite, such as the ability to not only backup SMS messages but use the PC as a remote communication UI for easy transmission of new and copying existing SMS messages.

Nokia, could you please respond?

Thank you.

Greg Bell

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
berksman1

hi i see the idea of saving texts. but how do you save text pictures so you can download to a pc etc.? as once on the system cant find them to pick out at all.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

caitlin1759 wrote:

So fat as privacy as far as I am aware the only persons who can access your Skydrive account are the persons you permit depending on whether you make documents public. In my case for example me only. Microsoft will not be snooping in your Skydrive account.

You really think so? You may like to read this: Watch what you store on SkyDrive–you may lose your Microsoft life

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AndyCalling

Firstly, it is already clear that they send all my info on to MI5 & the CIA for perusal. Secondly, I took a look at the policy. No partial nudity, so no family pics at the beach or in the garden. No pics of my sister's baby scans (now deleted from my account) and no pics of my sister's new baby when born without fully covering up (no bath time memories, no cot shots, no brest feeding). No non-human nudity, so no pet pictures without putting some kind of sheet over them and any shots that include an accidental naked pigeon or sparrow in the frame.

None of such can even be put in the text of an email. Also, bad language is banned. They don't list the acceptable or unacceptable words allowed so that'll be a real mine field.

I'm considering setting up a second account just for the Skydrive (since it is fairly unavoidable on Win Phone) so if it gets killed I won't lose my whole account, but this doesn't help with email etc.

This is a nightmare. If MS suspect me of doing something dodgy why not just tell the police? If they don't have enough evidence of wrong doing for that, why should I be punished by a non-democratic body? It smells wrong.
Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

KennyKB wrote:

caitlin1759 wrote:

You really think so? You may like to read this: Watch what you store on SkyDrive–you may lose your Microsoft life 

. well that will teach me to read the fine print ! It's not a problem, there's nothing there that will scare them . I suppose I'd better read the small print on evernote and Google drive, not that there's anything there they could object to either.

Please use plain text.