Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 - Internet Sharing doesn't work

Contributor
Magic73
Accepted Solution

Lumia 920 - Internet Sharing doesn't work

I've a Lumia 800 and a Lumia 920.

the same SIM, with the same settings (APN).. on a Lumia 800 intenet sharing is ok (right now, I'm using the Lumia800 connection to write this post), but if I try to activate internet sharing with the Lumia 920, I got this error:

"There's no cellular data connection to share right now. ...."

Lumia 800: S.O. 7.10.8773.98

Lumia 920: S.O. 8.0.9903.10

Operator: Vodafone

APN: web.omnitel.it

I called the operator, and He confirm that this apn is enabled for internet sharing (and I'm using it with the Lumia 800)

is it a bug? how may I resolve it? (excluding that I have to carry both Lumias :smileyhappy: )

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia 920 - Internet Sharing doesn't work

If you have not updated the Access Point utility on your 920, do so using the qr code on the link below and see if that helps. 

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Nokia-Windows-Phone-8-App-Updates/td-p/1640082

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Magic73

I already installed it. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Magic73

Ok, now it works and I found the issue and the solution:

Deleting the APN settings, and reentering... now it works.

Here why:

I had manually inserted the APN settings. and internet sharing didn't work.

Some times ago, nokia released an update of the Access Point application. I got it, but internet sharing didn't work again.

But I noticed that I couldn't edit my APN settings anymore (the one that I added).

So the difference is the new Access Point application, that for some reason.. didn't read correctly my previous settings, from the previous version.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Magic73

Ok.. I updated my APN settings adding the MMS configurations, and Internet sharing stopped to work.

I removed the MMS configurations, and Internet Sharing worked.

:smileyhappy:

So the final solution/issue is this.... at least for me.

Please use plain text.
marco_plm

ciao sicuramente sei italiano :smileyhappy:
mi puoi spiegare come configurare bene per l'APN?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Magic73

Con Vodafone?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ashishmohta

For me this is how it worked. Create a dummy APN and activate it. Then go back and activate the APN which is configured correctly or you were already using.

Things shoould be fine. For my case it seems APN settings wasnt set properly when the SIM was insterted.

WPXBOX.COM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Xboxfanuk

I can tether to my ipad fine. But it completely blocks google.com and youtube as well as sky go. So strange. Works fined tethered to my pc....but for some reason ipad blocks google.????
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tsviin

I have the same problem. My internet sharing works on and off. Usually after several minutes of turning the phone on and off, changing the ANP settings between my operators 3g and 4g settings, mini booting, flipping the airplane on and off and of course flipping the internet sharing on and off does the trick. Sometimes it starts to work after a few minutes of this. Today I've been struggling for 2,5 hours and it's still not working. 

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what to flip on and off next because this is getting  boring and I would also like to use my laptop for internet. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

hi mate,

have you checked that you have been given the correct network data settings by your mobile carrier, and that your SIM card is in good condition? also check that you are up-to-date with all the latest Nokia system app updates in the Store, and that you have the Portico update for WP8 installed. failing that, you can try performing a soft reset (pressing the volume down and power buttons together until the phone vibrates), or if that deosn't work either, then a hard reset (Settings > About > Reset your phone). please bear in mind that a hard reset wipes everything, so make a backup of all personal data to PC and/or online storage first.

failing the above, you will need to take your phone to Nokia Care for inspection: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jomba

Im having a problem with my lumia 920 internet sharing. Everytime i start the hot spot my computer(mac) stayd connected only for few minutes. At first i thought it was a hardware problem with my lumia but when i got a new one couple of weeks ago the same problem continues. Can it be that lumia and macbook pro doesnt work well together or is it just a bug in the firmware? Any ideas how to repair this problem?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AtulKr

Airtel 920 in India. 3G HSDPA metered connection on roaming. Tried everything from dummy APN to installing Spanish keyboard and soft reset. Internet sharing gets into limited node on windows 8 very soon. Is hard reset only choice left? Can I edit APN? Not seeing any choice anywhere.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mk73rc

Vodafone India, 920 with euro developer 821 upto date ROM including Amber.
did all the tips and tricks of manual configuration of apn didn't help.
tried installing Spanish keyboard as suggested by couple of forums but in vain.

my doubt : Is it locked by Vodafone, can someone clarify ? Or is there any way to get internet sharing on Nokia 920 as the same sim is doing internet sharing pretty fine on my WP 7.8

Please use plain text.
Gautamg

I have Lumia 625 APN app is updated, system is having all updates installed. No issues with SIM, and I was able to use the same SIM with Lumia 800 in same network and use Internet Sharing. Tried the suggested recipe for creating a different APN, activate and then reactivate the original APN.. It did not work either.

Disabled Battery Saver, did not work

Created MMS connection, deleted, no impact..

Please help

With Regards
GG
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ismailcube110

I am having problem with internet sharing,anything I tried telling me to go to at&t my wireless
Please use plain text.
playfulangel14

Hi, ismailcube110.

Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions Forum! :Cool:

Have you tried the resolution provided by @cjlim on this thread? If this one will not work, you may need to update the phone's software instead. You can do this by going to Setting > Software Update > Check update.

Let us know if this one works with you. ^_^

Final Banner
Please use plain text.