Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 MSC data transfer (Drag&Drop)

Advisor
kazakore

Lumia 920 MSC data transfer (Drag&Drop)

My main OS is Linux but I do still have a WinXP install for some legacy software and testing. I am never going to install Windows 7 or 8 on my desktop! So suggesting that as a solution is not acceptable!!

The problem I am having is if I connect my Lumia 920 to my computer it is not seen at all! Therefore I can not transfer music or ringtones to it and photos off from it.

Is there any way to put it in Mass Storage Controller mode? Most mp3 players and all other phones I have previously owned have had this as an option. Often via holding down a combination of buttons while turning on or in a settings menu. I've not found anyway to do it for the Lumia 920...

Your online User Guide seems to state it is clearly possible to drag and drop:

[quote]

Sync music and videos between your phone and computer

Do you have media on your PC that you want to listen to or watch on your phone? Use a USB cable to sync music and videos between your phone and computer.

1. Connect your phone to a compatible computer with a USB cable.

2. In your computer's file manager, such as Windows Explorer or Finder, drag and drop your songs and videos to your phone.[/quote]

So how do you do it???

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

[ Edited ]

@kazakore

If using Windows Xp needs to be SP2 and above for it to recognise MTP device.

For Linux don't know whether you would get anywhere with mtpfs or go-mtpfs.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kazakore

My WinXP has SP3 and it doesn't see it!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kazakore

Plus really I want to use MSC mode if at all possible. MTP sucks!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kazakore

Just connected to the Win7 PC at work and it does not get listed as a device in My Compter on that system either! I refuse to use additional software just for transferring files to and from a device!! If this is required this piece of junk is going in the bin!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

You will not get mass storage mode. I can see the Lumia 920 both in my work XP SP3 computer and my home Win7 machines without any issues. Did you allow for the initial installation of drivers ? Under XP I see it as a separate device, not as a hard drive, but can still drag and drop.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kazakore

93tid wrote:

Did you allow for the initial installation of drivers ? Under XP I see it as a separate device, not as a hard drive, but can still drag and drop.

No, because nowhere have I seen mention of a driver for XP. In fact the manual explicitly stated only Win7 and Win8 would be fully supported in software for it when I looked through it after purchase. Plus the fact Linux is my main OS so an XP drive doesn't even get my half way there!!

But if you state that with a driver it can at least be accessed with Drap and Drop under WinXP that should at least get to a usable state. I thought Win7 was meant to be driverless though?? Also where does it show up? If it doesn't get listed like other hard drives and devices under My Computer...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kazakore

From elsewhere:

[quote]On Windows XP you need to have WMP10/11 installed in order to have the MTP driver on your system. Windows Vista will ship with native MTP support...[/quote]

I have WMP fully removed from my personal system as it sucks! It is not going back on!! Can I get the MTP driver without it?

Although this doesn't explain why it is not being seen on the work PC, which has Win7 installed and comes with WMP12, which I've checked is installed and working. Yet when I connect my device it doesn't work and throws up an error message MTP USB Device Driver Installation Failed! Maybe MTP has been disabled on the work's Desktop installation?? Is this even possible if it apparently a core component of WMP now??
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

[ Edited ]

kazakore wrote:

93tid wrote:

Did you allow for the initial installation of drivers ? Under XP I see it as a separate device, not as a hard drive, but can still drag and drop.

No, because nowhere have I seen mention of a driver for XP. In fact the manual explicitly stated only Win7 and Win8 would be fully supported in software for it when I looked through it after purchase. Plus the fact Linux is my main OS so an XP drive doesn't even get my half way there!!

But if you state that with a driver it can at least be accessed with Drap and Drop under WinXP that should at least get to a usable state. I thought Win7 was meant to be driverless though?? Also where does it show up? If it doesn't get listed like other hard drives and devices under My Computer...

I meant drivers for Win7. It shows up in XP exactly under My Computer. When I connected I get the small popup window "Portable Device" with a choice of options: Open device to view files using Win Explorer, Sync digital media files to this device using WMP and Take no action.

It works if I choose to open it from this window, if I don't,  it still shows under My Computer as Lumia 920 and I can browse it from there.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kazakore

93tid wrote:

kazakore wrote:

93tid wrote:

I meant drivers for Win7.

So it's not a Class Compliant MTP Device, and thus covered by WMP12 being installed with Win7 by default? It seems to know it's a MTP device and even that it's Lumia 920 (checking in Device Manager) but doesn't show in My Computer. Driver installation is not an option at work!

I've downloaded this to try at home on WinXP. Does it seem the right thing? Seems more an SDK than a useful driver but hopefully it will still give me the functionality I require...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=19153

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kazakore

Well it appears the moderators don't like you expressing your opinion on a phone at the same time as asking very valid questions based on the subject at hand!

Anyway: I did try asking if it's possible to download webpages, specifically mp3s from the web. I browsed to my personal server, where I have a couple of old mixes, and I could stream them no problem. BUT I could see no way to then download the mp3 and listen to it offline... (Strangely enough you get no reception on the London Tube system!! or radio for that matter...)

Or would going via LiveDrive Cloud be the only/another viable alternative?

No matter what these are stupidly roundabout ways for what should be so simple!!!!
Please use plain text.