Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Maps and Drive not tracking location

Contributor
inkryptic
Accepted Solution

Lumia 920 Maps and Drive not tracking location

When I launch Maps and press the circle button to zoom to my location, it will do so.  It finds me within a few hundred feet.  After this point, it has no idea where I am.  The dot representing me on the maps will vanish, and if I press the locate button again, it will pop somewhere else within a couple of miles of me, and then realize that isn't right, and not change the circle locator button to green, or show a dot on the screen.  I can press the locate button again and have this happen continuously.

When using Nokia Drive Beta, it will use my correct location to plot a course, but then not follow me at all, so it constantly displays the first direction.  It, too, seems to have no clue where I am.

My commute takes me through country, city, and suburbs.  I've tried placing the phone on the dash, in the cupholder, and just holding it.  Previous phones (iPhone, android) have not had this issue over the same commute.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@inkryptic

You don't specify whether application being used "Online" or not here.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor
inkryptic

I have downloaded the regional map for my area, but I'm not aware of how to tell if the app is using it or not..  The first time I tried to use Maps and had this issue, I got a prompt saying "map download recommended" or something like that, and so I did so. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
garym114

Have you given it a location to go to?

In 'settings" in the app, is 'location' turned on? This is the GPS receiver.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Sounds to me like Maps is getting the approximate position using AGPS wnd then is unable to get a more accurate position fix using its internal gps receiver. Fault could be either corrupt software or faulty hardware. The first could potentially be corrected with a reset but the second requires a seding it to a Nokia Care Point. I suggest the Nokia Care Point.

You can locate your nearest care point using the link below.

www.nokia.com/support

Please use plain text.
Contributor
inkryptic

talked to various levels of tech support at both Nokia and AT&T.. very frustrating experience.  The most helpful was to set up an apt with the Nokia Setup service.  he had me try a hard-reset (hold down power and volume until it vibrates), which does some sort of system refresh at reboot time.  Anyway, so far so good.  GPS seems to be tracking well.

Please use plain text.