Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 - Proximity Sensor

TheDisneyMagic

Lumia 920 - Proximity Sensor

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 in black from Everything Everywhere (Which I have paid to have an unlock code and use on o2 UK) for the last week or so it appears the proximity sensor has been playing up. As soon as I make a call, answer a call or use Skype the screen turns off and I can only end the call by promptly pressing the power button and then quickly hitting the end call button before the screen turns off again.

It appears to me that the proximity sensor is detecting that the phone is still by my face even when I hold it away.

Is there a way I can diagnose this or will I have to send it in for repair?

If it goes in for repair, will it remain carrier unlocked as I paid for this?

Thanks,

Jamie.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Back up your apps data from settings menu and also other data including videos and pics on pc then do a reset from settings and then about option...it should solve your problem otherwise contact your nearest nokia care from http://nokia.com/support
also you can try some temporary solutions from this thread
http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/problem-solved-Lumia-920-screen-turns-dark-when-calling/...
Please use plain text.
TheDisneyMagic

Many thanks for the quick reply, I shall give it a try today and let you know how I get on.

I appreciate the quick response.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

You will not loose the carrier unlock either

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
arixon

I fixed this problem, possibly temporarily only, by blowing hard into the ear speaker in the hand set. I assume this is where the proximity sensor is. Dirt has got into that area, and dislodging it appears to resolve the problem.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Seems to work for some keep us posted.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
TheDisneyMagic

Unfortunately it didn't work for me, I attempted to hard reset the phone by going to settings, about phone, reset phone and after it rebooted I got the Nokia logo and then the phone got stuck on two cogs spinning until the battery run out. Charged the phone again and it just got stuck on black screen with Nokia logo.

I have had to return it and wait for it to be either repaired or replaced.

I will update you all when I get it back.

Please use plain text.
bremic9188

[ Edited ]

arixon wrote:

I fixed this problem, possibly temporarily only, by blowing hard into the ear speaker in the hand set. I assume this is where the proximity sensor is. Dirt has got into that area, and dislodging it appears to resolve the problem.

This. Just had this problem and this is the obvious solution. I just don't know why I didn't think of it before coming here...

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

If your problem is fixed by blowing air into it, you should try to get an exchange as it is a manufacturing defect. This is only a temporary solution which will not work when more dust accumulate inside. Blowing air introduce more dust and humidity into the phone.

Please use plain text.
Lumia920_Galway

I also have this problem - the proximity sensor defect makes the phone almost unusable. None of the suggested fixes work. Broughgt it back to a Nokia Care centre for repair but 5 hours later they are still trying to reinstall the Windows 8 software. 

These phones are duds. Take my advice and stick with an iPhone or Galaxy. 

I realy wanted the Nokia/Windows 8 combo to work but after just 2 months, I have had nothing but trouble with a phone that cost >€700.

AVOID THE LUMIA 920 LIKE THE PLAGUE. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Enjoy your (cough) iphone or galaxy then.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Professor
garym11

The latest update fixes the problem.

Please use plain text.
TH1968

Hi - I had this problem with two, yes two successive 920 handsets.  Maby I was unlucky, but elsewhere online I can see that alot of customers have had this problem.  Amazingly, it does not seem to be a software problem, but a physial problem.  Dust gets actually under the glass.  You may be able to see it by the front facing lens.  The problem about ending calls happen becaue dust settles on he proximity sensor which is housed just above the N on the Nokia at the top right of the handset.  I know this sounds crazy for a top of the range smartphone, but it does seem to be the cause.  The shop I used allowed me to change to an HTC One without any quibbles. I was sad because I really lilked my 920s but not being able to finish a call is a showstopper.  I thought of persevering with blowing compressed air at the top of the handset, but eventually concluded that if the phone is that bad after three weeks then there is no way it will last the duration of a 24 month contract!

Please use plain text.
XinaPower

No dust, that is BS, just flash your mobile with the most updated firmware.
it worked fo rme.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heulaup

@XinaPower, You mean all those users who complain about dust getting into their phones, can actually see the dust in the front camera and managed to get temporary relief by blowing air are BS'ing?

I hope the software fix works permanently for you. I think it merely increases the sensor sensitivity threshold to ignore the dust which means the problem will recur when more dust accumulates but you may be lucky.
Please use plain text.
TH1968

http://bariseris.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/nokia-lumia-920-proximity-sensor-problem/

I found this, it explains the problem well, at least you will be in the picture when it starts to happen again.  I was told that Nokia will be producing a protective shield that the service centres will fit for you to stop the dust problem, don't know if its true or not.

Please use plain text.
TH1968

Please use plain text.
tom76

In my case the proximity sensor does not work, that is when I make a call the touchscreen is not disabled so when my ear touches the screen the call is ended... After a reset it works again until ....

Still some bugs.... 

(firmware 1308)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hayesy

Hi All

I have the 820 with the same problem. i cleaned the sensor and reset the phone and updated the firmware and still no different. the screen went black as soon as i made a call. i could press the screeen in the top right corner and it would come on briefly

Good news i have fixed it easyly. may be different for others but you may want to try this.

I download nokia pc suit and in the trouble shooting option there is a option tool called test and in there is a option to recalibrate the proximty sesnor. takes two seconds and the phone now works great no more problems. so its just a calibration issue from manufacture or age changes the anolugue readings. but once they are reset job done.

i hope this helps

Please use plain text.