Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Proximity sensor bug turns off scree...

SreedharP

Lumia 920 Proximity sensor bug turns off screen erroniously

Proximity sensor in my lumia 920 turns the screen off even when i am holding the phone in my hand and am looking at it. It should turn it off only when I hold it up against my ear.

This is verry annoying as I cannot get to the incall screen at all, not even to disconnect the call. I have to wait till the other party hangs up so that my screen can return back.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Lumia 920 Proximity sensor bug turns off screen erroniously

Are you using a screen protector or case that cover the proximity sensor? If so remove them.

Is there dust inside your proximity sensor? If so that's the likely cause. You may be able to blow it out via the earpiece.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

It's not a bug. More like a perhaps a bit of dust or screen protector in the way or a faulty sensor. If it's not the first 2 then you should send your phone to your local Nokia Care Point to have them check it for number 3.

You can locate your nearest care point using the link below.

www.nokia.com/support

Please use plain text.
SreedharP

no its not dust or screen protector, its a bug and is very consistent. Works fine for a while after reboot and then screen turns off even though I am not holding it up against my ear.

Anybody figured out a better work around for this please let me know, because the issue sometimes does not go away even after reboot.

Please use plain text.
muddy90

Mine has started doing this (among other really anoying things). To end calls i have to press the power button on the side & try to quickly tap the screen when it flicks up for a nano second.

this phone is starting to pee me off!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MeneerG

My black Lumia 920 has the same problem. No fix around? It is really annoying.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ReadyOrNot

I'm having the exact same problem. It's started in December shortly after the recent update. Surely Nokia is investigating. Does anyone know for sure and/or if there's a fix?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

hi ReadyOrNot,

have you tried the other methods stated in this thread? if they don't work, then you can try a hard reset (Settings > About > Reset your phone). bear in mind that this wipes all your personal data, so please make backup to PC and/or online storage first.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jasonma

Add one more to the list. This is a VERY frustrating bug - it makes the phone unusable as a phone. This is a bug and not dust in the phone. Doing a hard reset is not a good option from Nokia - that is a loss of all app-specific data never mind all the time to re-setup the phone etc.

Phone is powerful, Win8 is a great user experience, but this bug is a disaster. I certainly hope Nokia takes notice of the fact that there is clearly a pattern here. Let's get this fixed please.

Please use plain text.
SreedharP

This might be a relavent issue, and the fix might be worth trying.

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Proximity-sensor-doesn-t-switch-off-Lumia-920/td-p/16064...

looks like a loose connection of the sensor input cable. Pressing the left top corner is suggested as solution.

Not the build quality I have expected from Nokia......

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sphyr

Add me to the list with this problem. Pressing the top left corner works today, but not the best fix...
Please use plain text.
dacke666

i did have this problem and i blown with the compressor at my work place, and it works really well again! Just a tip

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vimitbaw

I am having the same problem. The screen switches off when i make a call even if i am not holding it closer to the ear. Also doesnt switch on / flashes on for a second when i press the lock button.

Visitng the care center tomorrow. will update you folks on what they have to say once i get back from there.

Please use plain text.
mumbly

Same problem with the sensor, which is making me really hate the phone. Does the hard reset solve the issue or is it a hardware error?

Please use plain text.
MjK74

I have the same problem. And it's not that the sensor doesn't work, it's does too much. Start a phonecall and the screen is off directly and only works normal again after the call has ended.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mskr999

iam also having the same problem, it irritated me a lot while closing the call or to save some data while on call.

bro did u get any solution for this. Please help me, really irritating bro.

thanks.

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

Hi Mumbly, MjK74 and Mskr999,

Have you tried the suggestions provided above?

1. Check if your phone has screen protector covering the proximity sensor
2. Check if there's dust in the proximity sensor. http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Proximity-sensor-doesn-t-switch-off-Lumia-920/m-p/160850...

You can also check if this update is available for your phones: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Update-released-for-Nokia-Lumia-920-820-and-620/m-p...

This update brings a "fix for intermittent screen blanking during a call" as mentioned there.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lcorrea

Pressing the top left corner worked for me.

Please use plain text.