Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 Screen replacement

Registered Member
tehsnowman
Accepted Solution

Lumia 920 Screen replacement

So, I jumped one day, and my beloved 920 flew straight from my pocket only to land on the floor. The fall created such a fantastic web across the outer surface of the screen that even a spider would have been fooled into thinking it was a nice cozy resting place. Long story short: I need to have my screen replaced. I don't expect it to be free or covered by warranty,  but I just need to know where to send it, and if anybody might know whether or not AT&T would provide a loaner phone while mine is in the shop, that information would be useful as well. Any and all help is appreciated, Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

Re: Lumia 920 Screen replacement

Hi tehsnowman,

Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions!

You can send your device here: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/troubleshooting/ As for the loan phone from At&T, only At&T can confirm if they have such service. You can contact them here: http://www.att.com/esupport/ . You can call them or chat with them about your concern.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RonV

I was told when I bought the Nokia Lumia 920 that you could drive a nail with it and that the AT&T salesman I bought it from had seen this video...with this in mind, I didn't worry about protecting my phone very quickly.

Within a week it dropped out of my hand onto a concrete floor and totally shattered the screen as if it were glass.

I went back to Nokia (no warranty for breakage),  who referred me to their repair center in Alabama who quoted (including insured freight both ways) over $200 for the cost of repair. I paid $325 for the phone so this isn't going to happen...

Buyer beware !!! This almost sounds like a "scam"...

Ron V. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

hi mate,

there have been a number of threads here on screen breakage if you so wish to search these forums. you must know that reps in phone stores will say almost anything to get you to buy a phone, i suggest you do your own research first.

as for the videos of such tests floating around on Youtube, they don't take into account that sure the Gorilla Glass 2 on the 920 will insure the phone against minor damage, but it is in no way designed to protect the phone from damage from dropping it on concrete, throwing it out a window, running it over in a car etc. people may get lucky in everyday usage by dropping it on a particular angle and not sustaining any damage, but the slightest of angle changes can change that into shattered screens.

the thing to take away from this is that its not designed to protect the phone from concrete smashes etc, NO phone is designed to, whatever the brand or model. it is foolish to have such expectations.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RonV

Thanks for calling me "foolish"...it sticks right now, but it won't happen again...
My problem with this is simply this:
AT&T did a number on me, Nokia obviously doesn't give a damn and considers me foolish and the Nokia repair company is laughing all the way to the bank and I just noticed that this email (although from Nokia "support")  is a noreply email.
Good luck with this business approach...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RonV

There's an old saying in business:

"you can shear a sheep over and over again,,,

but you can only skin him once"

from a successfully skinned sheep who is still alive, able to talk to others about rip offs

and possessing a great memory...

Ron V.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

RonV wrote:

Within a week it dropped out of my hand onto a concrete floor and totally shattered the screen as if it were glass.

That's precisely because it is glass.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RonV

Then the manufacturer, assuming they remotely care about returning business (a novel concept to them, I'm sure), has the responsibility to put a large label on the screen which very simply says, "Glass...very breakable and extremely expensive to repair"..."please consider protective gear for your device"...

We don't live in a world of business that necessitates the "hook and squeeze method" displayed here...we do it by choice and our lives will eventually be a summation of those daily choices.

Try treating others as you would be treated and you will see business increase and loyalty become prolific...

at this point, you're heading down a street with a very definite end and no possibility of return...

Ron V.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

RonV wrote:

Then the manufacturer, assuming they remotely care about returning business (a novel concept to them, I'm sure), has the responsibility to put a large label on the screen which very simply says, "Glass...very breakable and extremely expensive to repair"..."please consider protective gear for your device"...

In that case it might be useful if you go and post this suggestion on the site of every single handset manufacturer. Although given that the delicate nature of mobile handset screens has been evident since the dawn of their existence it could be comparable to other everyday truths like fire burns you and water gets you wet.

In any case, you were misled by an AT&T salesperson, so why don't you go complain to them ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

[ Edited ]

we or any company can't be blamed for negligence on your part to research the facts. try taking your case to the relevant fair trading and consumer protection laws authority in your country and they'll throw it out.

As 93tid has said, your only option now is to complain to AT&T for the service that they gave you, you were obviously misled with the incorrect facts and they are the ones to blame. not sure that they will be able to do anything about it, but its certainly something for you to remember in future.

i've been ripped off, and misled by telco representatives when i first got into mobile phones when i was a teenager, and i learnt the hard way. same way with signing contracts before reading them lol.

what's done is done, and i'm sorry that you had to endure those financial costs and the wrath of the experience, but that's all you can do mate.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
shark37

Its not negligent to drop your phone.  It happens to everyone and its something phone manufacturers should take into account when designing a phone.  My phone has a cracked screen and I am most upset with the lack of help provided by ATT.  My expectation is that I should be able to send a new phone in for repair.  I dont expect it to be free, but I do expect a program where there is a fixed fee exchange program.  So far all I get is "its not our problem". 

Up until now I have been very happy but I am going to change all my posts about the windows phone.  You guys dont deserve my business or loyaity.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

shark37 wrote:

Its not negligent to drop your phone.  It happens to everyone and its something phone manufacturers should take into account when designing a phone.  My phone has a cracked screen and I am most upset with the lack of help provided by ATT.  My expectation is that I should be able to send a new phone in for repair.  I dont expect it to be free, but I do expect a program where there is a fixed fee exchange program.  So far all I get is "its not our problem". 

Up until now I have been very happy but I am going to change all my posts about the windows phone.  You guys dont deserve my business or loyaity.

This is Nokia user to user assistance forum, so do not understand why you are posting a complaint about AT&T here ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

shark37 wrote:

Its not negligent to drop your phone.  It happens to everyone and its something phone manufacturers should take into account when designing a phone.  

Actually they do. I have a 5410i and 5210. They were both tough offerings from Nokia from a few years back. Unfortunately, it wasn't very popular because making a phone tough affects the appearance by making the phone look bulky and clumsy and it also adds to the cost. If only there were more people like you, phones like them would be doing very well now and everyone would be making them. 

As for me, I am never selling those 2 phones and regularly use them whrn I go hiking or fishing, especially the 5410, which incidentally also has a flashlight, compass and thermometer. Don't forget this is not a smartphone.

Please use plain text.