Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Screen will no longer rotate.

Red519

Lumia 920 Screen will no longer rotate.

I've had my Lumia 920 for about a month now - it is a German Vodafone model. As of today while I was out at work I went to use it to send a text and they keyboard would no longer change orientation when I flipped the phone sideways. Nothing would rotate anymore, photos, web pages; its as if the rotation setting is not working. I looked to find one but I can't. I've heard a few issues on various forums like WPcentral about this and that it might be a software bug, and a search of this forum has another user whose rotation doesn't work, but I don't know why this would have just started, and I've tried hard resets and soft resets and nothing seems to fix it.

I would really like some information about this or a possible fix, as this is really killing the useability of the phone - that along with the random restarts which happen several times a day on average.

Please use plain text.
Red519

Well, nevermind I guess. Did a full phone reset from the system settings and now my phone is sitting at Nokia splash screen. It's bricked.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

you should have it checked out at your local Nokia care point. Use the link below to locate your local care point.

www.nokia.com/support
Please use plain text.
Red519

I re-flashed the phone's firmware with my carrier's firmware, brought it back from the brick. All I had to do was give the phone several decently hard taps and the orientation started working, so I'm assuming that something was stuck. I'm still no thrilled with the fact that this happens in a premium smartphone, but all is well again. Also, there seems to be a LARGE amount of people having their phones brick with the built in reset option. What gives?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

I hope now your phone's screen rotate should be working fine otherwise it is hardware problem for sure.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fredo88

did yRe: Lumia 920 Screen will no longer rotate.

Did you find any solution? I'm having the same problem and don't know what to do.

Please use plain text.
Skunkworks

Re: did yRe: Lumia 920 Screen will no longer rotate.

Wondering the same. I have seen this issue posted here and on Windows Phone Centrals website. It appear to be a recent issue. On December 24th  Windows 8 installed the latest update "Portico" on my Lumia. On December 26th my phone used wireless charging for the first time via the JBL PowerUp. Those are the only relevant changes I can think of that may have caused my screen orientation to stop working on December 28th. I did notice my Lumia was hotter than normal when using the wireless charging. This is probably expected due to the copper coil needed for the wireless charging. That said, I don't believe the phone should have gotten as hot as it did. I am wondering if somehow the gyroscope got fused. Orientation no longer works at all and has been confirmed on IE browser, Email, Text, Picture taking, Picture viewing, Google app and Facebook app. In an attempt to fix this I reset the phone which Nokia told me to do. After I clicked reset the phone rebooted showing gears turning. After 2 hours the gear where still turning. A volume down power button reboot of the device was performed 6 times before the phone came back up. Once the phone came back up I chose not to restore the phone with the backed up settings. The phone was completely wiped and no old data was used. The problem still exists. At this point I am really hoping this is not  a hardware problem. If anyone knows how to fix this problem please advise as this is a big issue for me and I would assume a lot of other users as well if it happens to them. I really like this phone and believe it is the best phone on the market. If this issue is in fact a hardware issue this could cause big problems for Nokia. I hope to resolve this soon otherwise I will have to return the phone and JBL PowerUp which is a very impressive audio piece.

FYI - I have had the phone since it was available in November without any issues up until December 28th..

Thanks,
N.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Sounds like you will need to return the device back to your point of purchase for a replacement, I am sorry to hear the problems you are experiencing mate. Glad to hear that the PowerUp is a great device though, pity it is not yet widely available in other parts of the world as of yet.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Titra

I do believe it is surely a hardware issue with the phone. I love the phone, but I have also experienced both issues you have mentioned.

A, While I was making a video chat with friends, the phone was literally burning hot on the top right hand corner, that is after I started using the wireless charging pad.

B, Screen rotation stopped working at some point after using the charging pad. It has been a month since, however, it started to work again just now......I have no Idea how this have happened........

With my phone, you can feel there is something loose inside when shaking the phone, with no previous impact at all....

Have to say I am a little disappointed with Nokia this time

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
haidongh

I have the exact same problem on a AT&T LUmia 920. After spending 45 minutes on the phone with AT&T tech support and warranty department, they are sending me a replacement phone, probably a refurb one.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
patilkishore

U have just got 920 with same issue n even my camera is not working, after pushing d button it just flip's again to home screen. Please help me if anyone has d solution.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chami2200

I had the same problem for last 3 or 4 days.. i just gave 2 hard tap to back of the phone and it just start working fine.. didn't do any reset.. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ronaldvds

Thanks!! Tried everything, 2 taps on the back and it works.... weird though. Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Kenesei

thanks, mine took just one hard tap and it started working again, my screen now turns....thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bozo26

my lumia 920 stopped rotating only after i swiched it of it rotated for a few times tah it stopped again .I have the amber update done.

please advice

Please use plain text.