Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Shared Internet causes Win8 Laptop B...

Contributor
Nicolas_H
Accepted Solution

Lumia 920 Shared Internet causes Win8 Laptop Blue Screen

The shared Internet connection on the Lumia 920 over WiFi to a Windows 8 Laptop does not seem to work very well. Its very slow and after 2-5 minutes it causes a blue-screen on the Laptop (first time I see it on a Windows 8 computer) The same laptop (Sony VPCZ2) worked perfectly with shared internet from a Lumia 900 device. This is causing me to believe that something is wrong in either the Lumia 920 or Windows Phone 8.

Anybody that can advise how to solve the issue or experienced a similar problem?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Lumia 920 Shared Internet causes Win8 Laptop Blue Screen

Not had any issue using 920 with a Mac which is of course not of much help to you here.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

I very much doubt it has anything to do with the Lumia. It is much more likely a driver, memory or CPU issue with your computer. A BSOD would not be triggered by any high level interface which is used to connect the Lumia signal to your PC but much more likely a low level interface such as the ones mentioned before. If this does not occur with another phone it is more luck than an indication there is something wrong with the Lumia.

If you are running the actual release version of Windows 8 I'd have the laptop checked with a repair centre, you should be able to find several diagnostic tools on Google (such as memory and system tests).

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kanshin

i have the same exact issue.

Samsung Slate running Windows 8 Enterprise,

I can connect via internet sharing via my Lumia 900 and various other WiFi hotspots daily and run all day with no issue. When I connect over the lumia 920 I get a blue screen with a netwsw00.sys error within 2 minutes.

I am running Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230 Driver version 15.3.50.2 (latest)

Please advise.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

A quick google of 'netwsw00.sys BSOD' shows there appear to be quite a few reports of issues with this driver. I'd suggest you check with your PC/Laptop/Tablet supplier for an update/fix for this.

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nicolas_H

Then we have the same issue.

I am running normal Windows 8 on Sonys Top of the line Laptop VPCZ2 with Core i7, the same Wifi technology Intel Centrono Advanced N6230, same driver version, 15.3.50.2.

I have no problems at any other Wifi connections, and it works perfectly with shared internet on a Lumia 900 (I tried again just to be sure), but with the Lumia 920 I get a slow connection and a Blue Screen on the Laptop after 1-5 minutes.

There is no newer driver available from Intel as far as I can see.

But, it still has something to do with the software in the Lumia 920 since it works perfectly with the 900. Nokia or Microsoft should look into this. Its not very good that a Windows Phone works well with a Mac, but kills a Windows 8 PC.

In any other aspect, the Lumia 920 is outstanding.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
SystemsUK

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nicolas_H

Thanks, but that driver is not for a Intel Centrino Advanced N6230.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
isaacsaudi

I want to know how to share the internet. Open the internet sharing and fuse the computer to search the wifi and connect , is that so. If so, any one know if it can be connected through USB cable like in PC suite, using usb to connect the phone and Open PC suite , click internet connection. then works. does this still work on lumia 920??????? Thanks
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

No, you can't tether using USB. you need to use the Wi-Fi option and then your carrier must allow you to do so.

---

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kanshin

According to Intel the latest driver version for Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230 Driver version is- 15.3.50.2

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&Product...

I will make a post in their forums as well to see if a response or action will occur soon.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kanshin

I have added to an existing bug report in the Intel Support forums.

Please add your issue there as well-

http://communities.intel.com/thread/33377?wapkw=netwsw00.sys

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
arsymizz

Hi,

I also have some issue. I have Windows 8 on my laptop and I got it from dreamspark. It is a professional verison.

My hotspot connection Lumia 920 says 'limited'.

My friend with Windows 7 also cannot use it.

I can use my friend's hotspot, he has samsung galaxy s2 and also hotspot from iphone 4.

This is frustrating. I don't know what to do.

Please use plain text.
Nurffe

Exactly same issue here. I contacted intel regarding this issue but the guy in phone told that according to their information current driver version has no issues.. After some time he told me to contact samsung support as laptop is from samsung just using intel centrino.. Samsung support told me that they have not heard about this issue either and so on.. So basically it seems like intel don't know about issue and neither do samsung and it could be loooong time before fix arrives This is purely driver issue with all intel centrino wlan cards Of course there might be something special with lumia internet.sharing which is causing driver to act funny but it's still working on other wlan cards and with different OS so in the end it's still driver issue
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JKloh

I've also got an issue connecting my Lumia 920 to laptopps via WiFi sharing.

- Finnish operator: Sonera

- Laptop: Windows 8 (Samsung RF510)

- Internet data plan should be okay and the latest Broadcomm 802.11n driver installed

Tried to share internet from lumia 920 several times to my laptop, but everytime it says connected --> can't load any sites -> sometimes turns to limited. However I can see some traffic is exchanged, so might be due to the security key (WPA2 AES?) But any suggestions how could I check / fix this? Lumia 920 internet sharing doesn't have an option to chage the sharing security setting (only the default wpa2 aes is offered).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kanshin

Created a new thread. Seems others are experiencing the same. Something to do with Intel Centrino 6230 and the Lumia 920.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/33490

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kanshin

Sadly the Intel Centrino Advanced n6230 works great with my Lumia 900, but blue screens everytime I connect with the 920.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sydney1965

I had the same problem with my Lumia 920 Windows 8 phone and Dell Latitude E6330 Windows 7 Pro (OS). I could make the tethering connection between the two (for internet sharing), but as soon as I start Internet explorer or other browsers, I would receive a blue screen.

I changed the following setting and it seems that the problem has gone away - I haven't had any issues since it was changed.

when the connections is made, go to Network and Sharing Centre

Go to Manage wireless networks

Select the connection (Lumia 920) and open the properties

go to Security tab and then Advanced settings

and enable the Federal Information processing standard and save the setting.

Reboot and it hopefully is fixed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DavidLawson

I am experiencing almost this exact issue with my Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 and laptop running Windows 7 Enterprise.

The main difference is my laptop blue screens as soon as I connect to wifi for tethering.

Is there any known fix?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Illumina

Same issue here - Samsung Series 9 with Win7 and Lumia 920. Blue Screen after "Identifying" the connection.

I get better luck if I change the band to "b" only ("g" seems to be the issue) but connection is slow and web pages seem to have some loading issues.

"Federal Information processing" suggestion didn't work for me - it didn't crash but it wouldn't load anything either.
Please use plain text.