Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Shared Internet causes Win8 Laptop B...

mnarvind

Re: Lumia 920 Shared Internet causes Win8 Laptop Blue Screen

Sydney1965, your info was right on. Great. Thank a lot. Now the WiFi hotspot is working just fine! I made the changes as described by you and its working perfectly :-)

Hotspot was working fine with my Lumia 800 and was wondering what the heck is wrong with Nokia devices.

Its been only 3 days since I bought Lumia 920 on the launch day in India, and was kind of depressed due to this issue. You brought back the smile on my face!

These are simple issues that Nokia need to post on their wesite to help the users. Wonder what is wrong with them!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nicolas_H

This solved the problem, now wifi sharing works perfectly. Thanks a lot!

Still, it is a bug in the Intel driver, that I hope they solve.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
realwarder

This fixed things for me on my PC too.

Note that on another laptop we have, that didn't bluescreen but didn't browse either, the same FIPS option enabled the connection to work (after reconnecting).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
topsy23

Thanks Illumina! That works for me as well. If anyone else needs help getting there:

- Device Manager

- Network adapters

- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (your wireless card)

- Advanced

- Wiress Mode

- 2. 802.11b

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SequoiaGrove

OK , I will try this Federal info setting at home, where my win7 wifi crashes when connecting to lumia 920. 

I still wonder why lumia920 is the only network out of the 40-60 networks Ive been on with that computer  that inpired the intel drivers to BSOD.... intel would update all their old drivers, or lumia 920 could act like all the otehrs (copy paste source code from lumia 900, heheh). 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SequoiaGrove

Connecting with "FIPS" on avoided the BSOD. And I could sorta connect to the web, but very unstable and slow. On other computers I get 23Mbps/1Mbps down/up very stably.

(Intel 4965AGN newest driver.)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Maxis77

I have Sony Vaio VPCSB (Intel Core i5) + Lumia 920

Bluescreen disappeared when FIPS was set ON. :smileyhappy:

THANKS !

Lumia 920 White
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
skywalker412

I had same problem with a Fujitsu T902 with a centrino N-6205 wifi card and a Lumina 920.  Fujitsu said talk with Intel and Intel said talk with Fujitsu :smileyhappy:

I couldn't set to the FIPS setting because I would BSOD as soon at the connection to the Lumina was made (but before an internet connection through the 920 was established).

The problem with setting to just 802.11b is that it slows up your wifi for every wifi connection you have.

But but changing to 802.11b, I was able to avoid the BSOD.  I then edited the advanced security properties of the lumina 920 hotspot to have FIPS security.  I could then reset the 802.11b settings back to the a/b/g settings that were there previously and it still worked.  So I have FIPS settings just to the Lumina 920 (adds an extra level of security) and higher speed wifi for the rest of the hubs I use (and I don't limit hubs I can connect to because some (many?) users set wifi hubs not to support a and b to get higher throughput through their wifi router.

I noticed that Intel just posted a new driver for the Centrino family (ver 15.6.0) on 20 Feb 2013.  I haven't tried to see if that also fixes the problems with haveing to go through the above; but it may also be an option.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DNAAND

I was having the same problem with Win 7x64 and the Lumia 920 (blue screen) with an Intel 4965 AGN.

I followed the advise in this thread and enabled FIPS.

I manually added the network as it was bluescreening pretty much as soon as I connected.

I haven't spent too much time on the connection, but I haven't had a bluescreen since.

It used to happen as soon as I transferred any internet data, so I think it's OK.

Thanks for the help...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
globalworldman

Re: Lumia 920 Shared Internet causes Windows 7 Professional to Blue Screen

I have been searching for a solution for this over the internet and so far I am only seeing people who have Windows 8 with this problem, which makes me think it is not related to Microsoft. I can tether with my laptop if I chnage the settings in the 920 to 3G, but on 4G = blue screen.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AndyCalling

Re: Lumia 920 Shared Internet causes Windows 7 Professional to Blue Screen

This has to be a PC side problem. Even if the phone wifi was heavily bugged and was sending your PC all kinds of weird signals, the PC OS, wlan driver or wlan card should not take such as a cue to crash your PC. There is no situation where such would be a sensible move. The phone can only send signals to the PC, the PC must decide what to do with them. You might look at firmware updates for wlan card/PC as well as waiting for a new driver. If not, a driver downgrade might do it. Otherwise just use the work around and hope Intel wake up.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MikeC1969

I have same issue with Vaio Z
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Brettito

Yes this works! Thank you so much!

However, since there is no "Manage Wireless Networks" menu in Windows 8, one merely has to view the list of networks available and right click on the Lumia 920 network to see Connection Properties.  Then just follow the steps laid out by Sydney 1965!

Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
viden

This just ain't a viable solution. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811834

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
thelazytrader

I had the same problem of 'limited' connection & no internet when it said there was. All I did was remove the secure password to none, select the nokia in the available wifi list, enter the access code from the phone & connected. Have been for two days straight - all fast & no blue screen.
Good luck
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mak300

Thanks Illumina! This worked for me on my Acer 6292 with an Intel 4965AGN wireless card. I was trying to tether a Nokia 520 to my Acer and kept getting a BSOD and yet when I used any other Smart Phone, there was no problem. I understand the Nokia 920 also causes this issue with this Intel Card. Not sure why only 802.11b works because the others are supposed to be backwards compatible. I emailed Intel, Nokia and Microsoft but never got a reply from them so thanks again because all the tech people I spoke to didn't know how to fix it other than replacing the Card or using an external USB plug in wireless adapter. Did you ever find out why only the 802.11b works?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
michaels

Hi,

Please see here for information on this concern:

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142076

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.