Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 Stuck At Spinning Gears.

Registered Member
Jieqin
Accepted Solution

Lumia 920 Stuck At Spinning Gears.

I've been looking at this spinning gear for close to 12 hours now. What am i supposed to do?!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: Lumia 920 Stuck At Spinning Gears.

Hope the phone is not connected to charger ..Just wait till the Battery dies down .. Then connect the phone to charger and see if it comes to life within 15-20 minutes or so ..

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen

[ Edited ]

Hi Jieqin

Welcome to Nokia forum! :Cool:

Try to perform this troubleshooting steps on your phone,

Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8

Step 1
Make sure the charger is disconnected.
1. Switch the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.

(To cancel OS reset and exit to the normal mode, press the Volume Down + Power Key and hold them for 15 seconds).

Step 2
Then input Keys in the following order:
1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down

Step 3
The phone will reset and boot up automatically. Please note that this may take several minutes.

If this will not resolve your problem, you may consider sending your phone for repair so that engineers from repair facility will be able to assess your phone,  check www.nokia.com/support.

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Asha 308 Nokia 808 PureView 
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hdjason

Thanks, that fixed the problem for me, letting it die then hooking it up to the comp and when it restarted it was fine. I'm sure that's not supposed to happen though so I wan to search now as to the why.
Thanks again farby!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AlexHardaker

I just tried that volume power and charger fix... my phone just keeps restarting at the nokia screen :s

Please use plain text.
Alvaroernestof

i also have the same problem. do you continue to hold the volume down untill it shows the (!) icon?

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

Hi Alvaroenestof,

You have to hold the power key and down volume key at the same time for 10 seconds. The phone should vibrate and start up.

If the phone does not respond, let the battery completely drain and then plug the phone into the charger. The phone should start up then.
Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Alvaroernestof

its almost through the second day and no resolution! this is becoming a major pain, its my only communication tool and its not working.

I have tried every detail instruction and its not helping, what else can i do, im in the middle of a project and no communication with my staff!!!...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Xemzhx

I've had the gears for few hours tried doin the hard resets just takes me back to gears I let the battery drain plugged it in ad went back to gears need this sorted as I'm going away for few days tomorrow
Please use plain text.
periwinkle28

Hi Alvaroernestof,

Sorry about that. 

Have you tried this?

Let us know the outcome.

Regards,

periwinkle28

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Advisor
EDRo

[ Edited ]

emilygreen wrote:

Hi Jieqin

Welcome to Nokia forum! :Cool:

Try to perform this troubleshooting steps on your phone,

Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8

Step 1
Make sure the charger is disconnected.
1. Switch the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.

(To cancel OS reset and exit to the normal mode, press the Volume Down + Power Key and hold them for 15 seconds).

Step 2
Then input Keys in the following order:
1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down

Step 3
The phone will reset and boot up automatically. Please note that this may take several minutes.

If this will not resolve your problem, you may consider sending your phone for repair so that engineers from repair facility will be able to assess your phone,  check www.nokia.com/support.

Step 1. How do you switch the power off while stuck on the gears?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
liamhere

[ Edited ]

not happy...phone been giving late sms messages ....hours late

told by THREE to reset handset to fix and the phone is now bricked (stuck on gears)

i now have to send the phone back to be fixed....the phone can't reset its self without breaking????

so i will now be with out a phone for 10 days

be intresting to see if i still have the late sms problem when i get the handset back

as looking on forums its happening to many people...and the (stuck on gears) too

i have tried all the "fixes" and none work for me....GREAT!

Please use plain text.
smacsteve

Yes! That's the question here! This resolution makes no sense to the "stuck in spinning gears" problem!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
GDphone

this tricked worked for me but at first my phone cut on and off on and off. and i couldnt figer how to shut it off at the gears it just happened.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ghaikal

I TRIED ALL STEPS ON NOKIA DISCUSSION , WP CENTRAL , MY PHONE KEEPS STUCK ON THE GEARS !! 

I DID WAIT HOURS !! 

ALL I HAVE DONE IS A RESET FROM SETTINGS !!!! 

SHAME ON YOU NOKIA !!! 

Haikal
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

@ ghaikal - If your phone is connected to charger.. Remove it from charging.. Let the Battery die. Then again connect charger and wait upto an hour to see if the phone switches ON on its own. If not, try the Reset once again. 

As a final go, need to visit Nokia Care

Please use plain text.
Sage
ghaikal

So guys my Lumia is uprunning again. so here is the story that started with a soft reset ! 

1- tried all the reset options ( volume up - volume down - power - volume down ) while nokia logo in startup

2- tried other resets like ( volume down + power + camera , then releasing power button after vibration ) 

3- i left the mobile to die , then connected the phone to the charger and waited for 3 hours !! no use !! 

4- at night , i just left it spinning the gears , for about 7 hours, in the morning i did reset again as in step 2 , then i reset as in step 1 . after about 15 min. IT WORKED !!!! 

Nokia or Microsoft should solve this issue !! i don't know what helped in solving my issue , except time and patience !! 

thank you all for the feedback.

Haikal
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Dimz

I own a lumia 720. I tried all the things mentioned above. Now my phone has been spinning gears from the past 24hours. What am I supposed to do now?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RealGis

Mine kept going back to spinning gears when rebooting. What made the difference was removing the SIM. Finally boot into Windows Phone setup screen!!! THANKS

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
was2wuz

It works. Just keep at it and you'll get through eventually.

Please use plain text.