Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Vibration rattle???

Crippler

I'd advise everyone to call Nokia's customer care and report the issue or concern.  This way it will get documented in their system in some form other than just interent forums.  I started my customer care call by using the Live chat online.  I was told they were getting reports of this concern. I also provided a link to a Youtube video in which you can clearly hear what all the vibration fuss is about.  This was all placed in the chat/call notes so when I received a call back from a tech, they had the info.  In the end, I was asked to get a replacement through ATT, again, and see how the 3rd one went.  The video I gave the link to was being passed around the Nokia customer care and tech world.  So I was told anyway. 

Well, I'm on my 3rd and it still has the same annoying rattle/buzz when the vibration initiates.  Other than that the phone is rock solid.  No loose battery this time either or other issues.  Right now I've decided to just deal with it, enjoy my new phone and keep this one considering that it is my only gripe with it.  Maybe Nokia will address this issue in the future or maybe a possible FW update will help.  After three tries, I'm not convinced I'd ever get a 920 that doesn't make this vibration racket.   

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ThaiDamen

I have 1 lumia 920 grey and 1 lumia 920 white and i don't seems to have this problem at all

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Calydus

Can you tell what production week they are, buy looking at the sides of the boxes.
mine were 45/2012 and then got it exchanged, it was 46/2012, they both rattled.
Please use plain text.
UninvitedGuest

In Canada, I have a black 46/2012 from Rogers and it has this issue.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Calydus

From what I could saw, most of the batches rogers got so far are 45/46, as a friend of mine got it from Rogers in BC, and it was week 46, and his phone does it too.

Having it replaced more than once with them is impossible.
As I stated, I was told by Nokia to send it in to have it checked, I'll probably do that after xmas holidays.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
skylr616

I just received a replacement for my 920 for an unrelated issue (headphone jack malfunction) and the replacement has the rattle when the phone vibrates. The physical buttons feel a little "loose" on this one so I'm pretty sure that is the cause...

The rattle isn't severe enough to really bother me in my case but I can see how it could be much worse depending on how loose those buttons are.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Calydus

@skylr616: If you press the top of the Lumia, the vibration stops usually. For me thats the case, and most people too!
Please use plain text.
Folkifoon

Where can i find production week/date? 

I have a yellow one.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Calydus

On your box where you can see all the barcodes.
Please use plain text.
Folkifoon

i think i am blind? I can see

A 456029 on a white sticker... and some barcodes, imei etc...but week?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Calydus

Folkifoon wrote:
i think i am blind? I can see

A 456029 on a white sticker... and some barcodes, imei etc...but week?

Here a pic of my box, with the date circled in red.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B01A5AED4F52EB20!384&authkey=!AP3c1uoy4Q89taY

Please use plain text.
Folkifoon

I have a different one...cant see the week, its from Germany.

Mine says Nokia 920.1.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rissen

[ Edited ]

USA ATT version no date outside of box but there is on inside the box where usb cable and charger is on a side it says #08246 / September 2012 /

Please use plain text.
Folkifoon

On the black box printed i can see H-3219 P6438 H06821 W41 2012...doubt if that is production date of phone...

operatingsystem: 8.0.9903.10

firmware: 1232.2109.1242.1001

hardware: 1.0.0.0

software radio"1.0.202041.3

chip-soc: 8930

Please use plain text.
teebone

@jccrawfo mine phone sound exactly like your old handset? Its like the battery and internals are moving around(hitting against the sides of the phone) When i 1st got it (around 2weeks ago it was as tight as a drum solid? But now it looks like i will have to get replacement(i love my phone and DONT want to replace it) because ive taken out a 24month contract and if it is like this now i would hate to think what it will be like at the end of my contract. Thanks :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
lafn

So what is the story with this rattle issue?  It is holding me up from purchasing the phone.  I read in this thread that weeks ago some have sent their phone in to Nokia to service this issue.  What was the outcome?  Are the latest shipping L920's still having this issue?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Anwa23

I've had my Lumia 920 replaced twice and I've had the problem on all three models. On the latest one the problem wasn't there initially but developed over a couple of days AND it switches off by itself. I went back to the store where I purchased it again but they wouldn't replace it again and concluded that it is a manufacturing issue and needs to be taken up with Nokia. I've contacted Nokia via the live chat service on their site (Read it through to the end):

Reynold Listening
Reynold: Hi, my name is Reynold. Thank you for contacting Nokia Care Chat. How may I help you?
Reynold

Are you still connected?

anwa23

Hello. I have a Nokia Lumia 920, this is my third one, I've replaced the phone twice before because something inside the phone rattled when the phone vibrated. On this latest one the rattling wasn't there at first but it has developed over the last few days AND it turns off byitself Is this a problem with all Lumia 920's?

Reynold

I am sorry to hear that from you. No worries. I will do my best to assist you on that.

Reynold

May I have your name? For me to address you properly.

anwa23

Anwor

Reynold

Thanks, Anwor.

Reynold

Do you the phone now?

anwa23

yes

Reynold

To be honest with you this is the first time that I have heard on that. No worries. It's not a know issue.

Reynold

The phone turn it self off, right? Can I ask how often is that?

anwa23

Since Tuesday, twice

Reynold

Okay. Thank you for that information.

Reynold

Where did you purchase the phone?

Reynold

And may I ask if you are sure that the phone is properly charged?

anwa23

This latest one, which is my third one, has switched off twice on me. Mainly after long periods of inactivity, yesterday at work, it was in my locker for 7 hours

anwa23

and this morning I woke up to find it switched off

Reynold

Okay. Thank you for that information.

anwa23

The link is to the phones vibrate/rattle issue being discussed on your forums

Reynold

Okay. I see. I will take note of that. Thanks for letting us know. At least the relevant team is aware on the issue.

Reynold

I believe that you send the phone twice to the centre on where you purchase the phone, right?

anwa23

Yes

Reynold

I believe that there's only one way for us to resolve the issue, it's by sending the phone to our nearest authorized centre. For our technician assess your device. Just to make sure that there is no problem on the phone. I also believe that the device is under warranty. Much better if we use the advantage of having that. I will look also the nearest centre for you.

Reynold

I really wanted to help you on that, since that is your third phone. I will put a note here for the relevant team be aware on the issue that you have.

anwa23

If the phone does have an issue, will it be replaced there and then or will it be sent off for repair?

Reynold

That will depend to the engineer that will assess your phone. If they found that the phone is not physically or water damaged I believe that they will do something just to resolve the issue. Regarding on the replacement phone, you can ask the centre on where you purchase it if you want to replace the phone. If they can't help you on that, please contact us for us to give you the other option that will help.

Reynold

For now, please give me your post code for me to check the nearest centre if we have one in your area.

Reynold

I will give you the best centre that we have in your place.

anwa23

The center where I purchased the phone from have replaced it twice and are under the impression that its a manufacturing issue and said that they wont be replacing any further devices

anwa23

My post code is XXXXXX

Reynold

Okay. If that's the case, I will give you the nearest centre. And please tell to our technicians that I advise you to send the phone to them to assess the handset. I will do my best to assist you on that.

Reynold

Thank you for waiting.

Reynold

Here's the nearest centre,

Essex Cellular Telephones
62-64 Cranbrook Road Ilford London IG1 4NH
Front Desk Tel number: +44 (0)20 8553 0000

Reynold

If you need help don't hesitate to contact us again. We're happy to serve customers like you.

Reynold

Can I ask you something before we end this chat?

anwa23

Yes

Reynold

Is this the first time you have contacted Nokia about this particular issue? And did I manage to resolve your concern by providing the helpful information?

Reynold

I believe that I pointed you to the right direction for us to resolve the issue. Please contact us right away once you need our help. And we are happy to assist you.

anwa23

I've contacted you on Twitter and Facebook, but I was only told that it might be resolved when the next firmware update comes out

Reynold

Okay. Nothing to worry about that. I believe that our engineers can help you on that. That's why I advised you to send the phone to them.

anwa23

Thanks for your help, I'll visit the center when I get a chance

Reynold

Good to hear that from you, and thank you for appreciating my effort in helping on your concern.

Reynold

Thank you so much for you time. And I hope that you are satisfied on my service. Cheers!

anwa23

Cool thanks

Reynold

You are most welcome, I know that you have a good heart. You are now my friend.  <<----- erm.....okay......

Reynold

If there will be no other concern, thank you for contacting Nokia Care Chat and have a nice day. Goodbye!

anwa23

Bye

Reynold

Bye! Cheer!

Reynold

I have not heard from you for a few moments. Do you still require my assistance?

anwa23

No, I'm just posting this on twitter, facebook and the nokia fourms for others to see, thanks

Reynold

You're welcome. Bye!

Reynold

Thank you for contacting Nokia Care Chat. Bye!

Reynold

Are you still there my friend?

Reynold

Are you still there my friend?

You have disconnected. Thank  you for chatting with Nokia Care Chat

Personally I hate Nokia centers, last time I went to see them was with my Nokia N-Gage, it never got repaired after countless visits and I ended up selling it off. I'll visit them when I get a chance and keep you guys posted

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Melbourne1

Me Re: Lumia 920 Vibration rattle???

Same issue .. Replaced once n got new phone from Telstra Australia and same issue in brand new phone .. :-(

Please use plain text.
Contributor
techishere

Guys, I got my Lumia 920 Yellow yesterday , I've been using HTC products since ages ago but decided to get this one as my high end phone , I also noticed the strange noise. I think felt its not as strong as my HTC. So  I went back to Phones4u shop today ad told them the story they changed it for me, two things changed.
The buttons Home, back search arent yellow anymore and the noise is still there but its not continuing for the whole duration of the vibration, it makes that noise only at the start of the vibration for like 1/10 sec .

I think I can get used to it, as I tested two more phones in the shop and all were the same so I dont bother to change this one again.

Good luck

Please use plain text.
Contributor
techishere

Hey everyone

Good news !

I found the problem , its all about the volume button install the massager app, turn it on while the phone is making that noise slowly touch the volume button the noise stops, the noise at least most of it is made by the volume button vibrating in its place and touching the body !

hope this helps

good luck

Please use plain text.