Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 WLAN issues - uses GSM instead of WL...

MarcDE

Lumia 920 WLAN issues - uses GSM instead of WLAN

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody,

I am using my Nokia Lumia 920 some days and I have 2 issues with WLAN-usage:

When I log in into a WLAN (so I am connected) and try to download sth. (Apps or anything else), downloads are not done over WLAN - they come over GSM. When I switch Data-option for mobile services off, all the downloads are done with WLAN.

Question: Why connect to a WLAN, when not used? Phone should use WLAN whenever possible?!

When GSM-Data-option turned off and connected to a WLAN and phone is in standby some minutes, there is an error: When connecting to a store (Nokia or Microsoft), Error saying "Store not available" or "Network error"  etc. appears. Then I wait few seconds, try again - and everything is fine over WLAN again. I think, reason is that WLAN go to "sleep", dont wake up quick and the software does not notice the "awakening process" - is this a bug?

Sorry for my bad english.... i try my best :-)

Greetings from germany

Marc

PS: At all I am very happy with this phone! Its the best display I ever owned.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: Lumia 920 WLAN issues

Your second point happens on mine also. However I read a tweet from Joe Belfiore that MS are working on a fix for it.

For your first point unfortunately we cannot prioritise access points ourselves like we could in Symbian so there isn't a lot that can be done about it other than turning off mobile data when you would prefer to use a Wi-Fi connection.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
MarcDE

Re: Lumia 920 WLAN issues

rayhipkiss wrote:

Your second point happens on mine also. However I read a tweet from Joe Belfiore that MS are working on a fix for it.

For your first point unfortunately we cannot prioritise access points ourselves like we could in Symbian so there isn't a lot that can be done about it other than turning off mobile data when you would prefer to use a Wi-Fi connection.

Ray.

Hello Ray,

thank you for your fast response.

I dont understand the behavior - why connect to a wland when not using it? On other Phone-OS the phone automatically chosing the WLAN if possible. Or there are options to configure Data-usage (or preferred connection) - this is still an issue for me.

Thank you for your words on my second point - sounds good that its already in work.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia 920 WLAN issues - uses GSM instead of WLAN

Your second point is a characteristic of wp. Not sure of the reason but probably someone trying to reduce idle power usage but as Ray said, a fix is on the way.

With regards to your first point, as far as I can tell, my downloads when I am connected to wlan is through the wlan. I checked my bill and didnt see any charges for my recent map data downloads which would have broken the bank otherwise. 

Please use plain text.
MarcDE

I now think the two issues are related to each other:

When downloading any content, there will be a check for active data-connections. If the WLAN does not respond (sleeping), WP8 chosing the GSM-connection. This is why downloads come over GSM.

Maybe with the update for sleeping WLAN both issues will be fixed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andyca

I noticed that my Lumia 920 is using data overnight (~1Mb) when sitting next to my Wi-Fi router... I wondered if the router was going down so I set a continuous ping but it didn't drop a single packet all night! still another 1Mb down.

Also does anyone know what is 'Offline' in Nokia Offline Maps?

I used the Nokia Offline Maps for an hour this afternoon while out on a walk, during that hour I probably looked at my phone to check my location 5 times for a total time of around 5 minutes, (the remaining 55 minutes it was 'suspended' in my pocket) I managed to use 10Mb of data in that one hour. I was in a forest so using the aerial photo view. I had downloaded all maps and checked for updates just before leaving the house.

I don't want to faf about turning data on an off completely when some things like the occasional Facebook message I want to get through while out and about. Using an average of 2-3Mb per day while in Wi-Fi range needs to be fixed very quickly!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Wifi switches off when phone on standby, so if you have apps synching or updating, could possibly be using data at night. I prefer to manually sync everything so no data when asleep.

Offline in Maps means no data used to search and navigating.

Predownloaded map data only ontains line maps. The aerial view is not included and probably accounts for part of the 10mb plus whatever else you would have set to sync or update during that period.

Set everything to sync manually will sort that out as no data will be used when phone on standby. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Note that Wi-Fi will remain active when the phone is connected to a charger though.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andyca

This is not what I have observed, I keep the phone on the charge pad all night and it merrily uses the GSM network all night. Looks like this is fixed in the first update though:

http://www.neowin.net/news/htc-8x-receiving-windows-phones-first-ota-update

Please use plain text.