Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 WiFi problem

Advisor
Axeleron
Accepted Solution

Lumia 920 WiFi problem

Hello,

I have a router and 3 AC wall plugs access points around my house. My old Lumia 800 and all other wireless devices see all access points (3) perfectly, however, Lumia 920 only sees router. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

AC wallplug accesspoint are commonly of the ad-hoc type which is not supported by the 920. Infact this connection type is generally considered insecure and should not be used for everyday regular connections.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axeleron

Are you saying that phone which costs 700 euros doesn't support all wifi standards, where as, any other wifi device does?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Very few devices support all wifi standards, especially older less common ones . You will find android devices dont support ad hoc either. As far as I know the Lumia 800 and iphones  dont either. However the 920 does support dual band which a lot of mobile devices still lack. So as far as mobile devices go it supports more than most.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axeleron

[ Edited ]

Look, side by side. If lumia 800 doesn't support adhoc, then its not adhoc problem. As I said, my ipad2, mom's iphone and my previous lumia see all networks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

In fairness, you only said all wireless devices but fine, if all those devices you are now listing can connect then it is probably not an ad hoc issue. Do you have the make and model name for the router and wall plugs?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axeleron

Router - DLink 2640U

Plugs: D-Link DHP-W306AV PowerLine AV Wireless N Extender

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I had a quick look at the specification for the plugs. There is no reason why the phone shouldn't see unless they were set to invisible. Have you set up the plugs for manual configuration? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axeleron

I did quick setup, intalled password, thats it, everything else is on default

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Am I right in thinking you already had all those devices when you did the quick setup? My guess is the plugs are only setup for WPS and SSID were set to invisible by default. Log into one of the plugs and have a look. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axeleron

Checked, its visible

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Gosh! I was hoping you wouldn't say that. There is no other obvious settings in the router settings which would block the phone seeing it and there are no settings in the phone which would stop it seeing the plugs with those settings. I presume the router is also on similar settings. They may block the connection but should not block them seeing each other. I presume you have tried restarting both. Short of resetting either or both router and phone, there is nothing else you can try your self. Only thing I can suggest is to send your phone and one of the plugs to a Nokia Care Point. 

You can locate your nearest care point using the link below.

www.nokia.com/support

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axeleron

Fixed it by changing security mode to WPA2 Only.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tilt02

I have a telefonica router
the lumia phones don't recognize the network either.
It only works with guess.... Apple......android
windows 8 laptop doesn't work either,
thank you mr Elop& mr Balmer
Please use plain text.
crowz

Hi,

I have a nokia lumia 920 which i bought a week ago, for the first few day i have connected my 920 to a wifi network which its work perfectly, after the following day i could not connect to the same wifi and i couldn't find the network again. i've checked and reset my router few times and i get the same problem.

Please help if anyone here can help me to solve this problem.

Thanks!!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lippylow

Hey crowz,

I've had 2 different situations relating to the Wifi connection issue.

1. At first, I started off with my phone NOT detecting my home network at all.

2. After some tweaks to the router, it was detected, but kept saying that my password was incorrect.

Well, read some forums and did some changes to the router, this is my current setting in my router:

Wireless mode: 802.11n only

Security mode: WPA2 only

Cipher Type: AES **** (HEARD THAT TKIP DIDNT WORK!!)

PSK / AEP: PSK

Try setting your router with this setting, it might work!!

Cheers!

Please use plain text.