Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Will not power up

Registered Member
samgill172
Accepted Solution

Lumia 920 Will not power up

I purchased a Lumia 920 on Friday 11/9/2012 from at&t and on Monday 11/12/2012 it died and will not power-up. I returned to the at&t store but they don't have any replacements in stock. They tried to find one in any of their stores in the Bay Area (San Francisco). My question is: when should we expect to have new shipments of the Lumia 920.

While it was alive - it was the greatest!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Hi Samgill172,

Only they will have specific information as to when they will have replacement stock of the 920 available. This is a user to user forum only, so we have no idea of stock shipments / factory liaisons etc etc.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

If you haven't already done so, why not try the hard reset while you are waiting for stock. You may lose data with the reset but then again you will lose all your data anyway if you get a replacement.

The hard reset procedure is as follows:

Press and hold Volume down+Power+Camera buttons. Release the power button when the phone vibrates. This could take a while. Release the remaining 2 buttons about 5 seconds after that. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich

Also while you are waiting - I had a similar problem with a Lumia 800. However the issue was that after it had died and wouldn't restart it was because of an issue with a charger not getting any power to the battery. I plugged it into my car charger that had a light come on when charging and eventually all was well again.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Neela_Kris

hey.... ur solution worked for me and also all my data is as it is...thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You are welcome. If you don't mind me asking, were you installing or playing with new apps when it happened? If so, which app? Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Neela_Kris

hi..no actually I was not playing with apps or anything. Although i put some songs in it around 1.5 GB last night. But t was working fine and 100% charged when i woke up. But after 30 min it just swich off by itself

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bertdog

Thanks for the info. I could not get mine to power down. You saved me some research. (My first smartphone).
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
t82596

Thx....the hard reset worked, and I kept my data.  Odd though....anyone knw why this happened?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stuant

I had the same problem today. Unfortunately for me the phone slipped out of my hands from about 3 feet up and hit the ceramic tile floor.  After I picked it up I noticed it wouldn't turn on. I did the hard reset and it powered back up, no data lost. 

Please use plain text.
guitarpik

Same thing just happened to me. I tried soft and hard resets and nothing was working. After I found this thread I tried it again and it booted up. I might have held the buttons down a little longer this time.

I'm a little concerned why this even happened in the first place and also that its happening to other phones as well.

Please use plain text.
920Owner

I have been pumped for this Nokia Lumia 920 for months. I found out yesterday that the launch day at ATT was last thursday. So I called around and found a place that had them in stock. Got it last night. Was playing with it in my bed and boom it just shuts off. So I assume the battery went dead on me because I had yet to charge it. Last I checked it had 30% but i did made a skype video call. just to see it in action. 

It is not 9AM the next morning. I still cant get this **bleep** phone to turn on. Left it on the charger overnight. I have been trying the above trick numerous times. about 3 times now I got it to turn on using that and it just shuts off showing the battery and an outlet. I have had it charge for quite some time now. no reason why it should not be fully charged. So I had it plugged into computer this morning and it came on for a few seconds. then I guess it got some power or something becuase it turned on. So I decided to leave it alone and let it get a charge. I came back and the time was stuck at about a min after i jumped in the shower. So since it was stuck I had to go ahead and do the hard reset again. 

so I did and now again I cant get it to respond at all. I am so mad. I love the phone but I was only able to use it for an hour at most...very depressing. 

Siked for nokia...now just disappointed..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

@920Owner are u charging your lumia 920 with the Nokia charger supplied with it?
Please use plain text.
920Owner

Yes ...they did not have the wireless charger in stock..they had to have it shipped to me...
Please use plain text.
920Owner

Hey Guys, 

Well I left for break at work after write my last post. I called ATT and they were EXTREMELY helpful. I was on the road and the lady said since your in such and such place there is an att store 5 minutes away...would you mind stopping there? I said sure why not. She placed me on hold and when she got back to me she said your gonna give Sarah at the store your phone and she is going to give you a brand new one. I got to the store sarah helped me and within 10 minutes i was out the door with contacts and all. It has not been about 20 hours later and F'n LOVE this phone. I am so excited with the WP8 experience and i havnt figured out 10% of what i can do. Now I hear app development can happen with VS.... I am hooked. I want to start making an app. Everyone seems pee'd off that they cant use Instagram with WP8. I googled wether there is a problem with dev's making an isntagram app and I could not find anything. anyone know about that arena? I am sure i can do it....but alot of the time there are blocks set in place to stop it. 

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sal0475

Same thing happened to me, I had just installed NPR app 1.99 to try did not buy. Had issue with connecting with Bluetooth shortly, but had no time to mess with it. Put it in my pocket and 30 min later looked and it was down. Had full power, but did not come on. 

I tried you trick came up fine. Let me know if you need more details.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sjrogalinski

Thank you.  You're solution to powering the phone back up worked; I too, lost nothing.  But I am extremely concerned that this is apparently happening with so many other phones.  Why is this happening?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ssm2012

Same issue-phone is dead after using Nokia drive, little browsing, couple of calls and 2 snaps using the camera. Was really bummed the entire afternoon worrying what went wrong. Found the hard reset solution to restore life to it. Too bad Nokia didn't test the phone enough. I am recommending my friends to wait and hold off buying this phone.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MB1229

To answer the other posters question, about using a new app, and which one it was, when they 920 locked up.

My fiance was playing "Who wants to be a millionaire", locked the screen, then couldnt get her 920 to turn back on. Went in to at&t, they did the hard reset. She didnt lose any data and it rebooted. All seems to be ok. Curious as to whats the cause, software, hardware,.. or combination of the two... My 920 hasnt experienced this yet... 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pgunn

Had the same problem with only five day's old phone, just over night it wouldn't power on.  Did the trick and is working fine.  Thanks...

Please use plain text.