Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Will not power up

Registered Member
Oniell

Ten day old Lumia 920 just died immediately after receiving a text message with picture attached.  Could not power it up and would not show as charging until I performed the hard reset steps provided above.  This worked and all of my data is intact!  The only thing missing is that last text message (others came in once the phone booted back up).  Thanks for the solution that worked!

Please use plain text.
Micshot

It does not matter WHAT USB adapter you use to charge your device. If you are using an electrical outlet to USB adapter, it more than likely complies with the IEEE standard for USB1.1 USB2.0 USB3.0 etc standards meaning 5v out. NOW each adapter may supply different amps. Myself for example, I have the one that came in the box with my 920 and one in my car rated at 3.1 amps.

My beef with this phone is long, but I'll limit it to the battery for now. its a 2000mA battery, and is forced by design to a recharge rate of 500mA (I assume this because of what I will write in a minute), this means that if the phone is completely dead, mathematically it will take 4 hours to charge it. I can verify on countless days of draining it to 0% that it takes me 4 hours and roughly 15 mins to fully charge it. This is rediculous. Nokia, really? 4 hours to fully charge? iPhone is only a couple hours and the phone is completely functional and useful as it charges.

Second battery issue is that I use it in my car as a GPS device, as I am doing this I also have it charging, so as to not kill the battery, but I notice that after a half hour to an hour of driving that I do from Boston to Providence that the battery is less than what it started at (I can even see this drop as I use it at home, with the Nokia charger) it is as if the phone uses more power than it can charge at?

I would really love to hav a Nokia person respond back to this...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
zuzelu

My phone died ago 10min from this post R.I.P.(pieces)

Why they "die" from nothing ?? My case is: ago 4h i removed from charger in these 4h i talked to phone , sent 8photos with bluetooth and i put near my keyboard while playing on PC now when i tried to see it  screen black, dead,nothing start even pluged to charge ,NOTHING .....finaly that with reboot worked and nothing deleted but WHY THEY are DOING THIS ?????????????im tired of this lumia 920 everytimes bugs,that wont work not this with power :wacko: dont say about batery bcoz is good even if im using a lot games,internet, maps etc is hold 15-20h

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Micshot wrote:

My beef with this phone is long, but I'll limit it to the battery for now. its a 2000mA battery, and is forced by design to a recharge rate of 500mA (I assume this because of what I will write in a minute), this means that if the phone is completely dead, mathematically it will take 4 hours to charge it. I can verify on countless days of draining it to 0% that it takes me 4 hours and roughly 15 mins to fully charge it. This is rediculous. Nokia, really? 4 hours to fully charge? iPhone is only a couple hours and the phone is completely functional and useful as it charges.

My 920 recharges from flat to 100% in 2hrs to 2hrs 15mins max. I can also verify this on many days of charging from flat. I use the original Nokia charger which is 1A, not 500mA. The phone is fully functional while it charges. Either you have a faulty battery or there is a problem with the charger you are using.

Please use plain text.
Micshot

If you saw. I use two different chargers, but you raise a good point. I will take it to a Nokia spot or back to the Microsoft store where I got it today and report back in a couple days.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jorax

My 920 randomly turned off today.  I had just finished playing a game and was at the home screen when I hit the power button and put it in my pocket.  10 minutes later I got it out and it was apparently dead.  It won't power up, it won't show a power indicator when plugged in, nothing.  Hitting the 3 buttons for hard reset results in a quick vibrate but then nothing (tried both continuing to hold the power button and letting it go while continuing to hold the others).  Now what do I do? :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Are you sure you did the resetbproperly? You should release the power button when the phone vibrates and release the remaining buttons 5 seconds after that, Try it again. Should work.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jorax

As a former IT worker and current employee of a software developer, I'm pretty confident in my ability to push 3 buttons then let go of one for 5 seconds :smileyhappy:.  If nothing else I've tried it 20x in the last hour, at least one of them should have worked if it was going to.  Not trying to be sarcastic, just really annoyed at my phone right now...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jorax

Out of curiousity, what usually happens after the hard reset?  Does the screen come on and/or it power up then?  I've tried it while plugged in, while not plugged in, tried pushing and then holding the power button after performing the steps for the reset - all with no result of course.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The phone should start up after the reset. Since it won't, you will need to bring it to your local Nokia Care Point. You will find your nearest care point using the link below.

www.nokia.com/support

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Max_b

Do a soft reset to get the phone back... just keep holding down both sides of the volume button and power button until the phone vibrates (around 10 secs), then let go.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jorax

Thanks Max - that worked!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Max_b

The first time this issue happened to me I had the same problem, someone on here suggested the soft reset to me. But it kept happening, I never knew whether the phone would power up or not. After trying everything various suggestions over a few days, I gave up and handed it back to Phone4u for a refund.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jahei

i had same lockup problem with my Lumia 920.

Its was turned on and charging on this aerial charger plate and when i took it off from the plate and press powerbutton nothing happened. I plugged it to normal charger and it didnt wake up.

i needed to press volume down + powerbutton for 10seconds to force poweroff and then turn it on by pressing power normally. no any data loss, only date & time was incorrect

Please use plain text.
mateuszap

I had the same  problem with Lumia 920.

Its was turned on in sleeping mode after some time  pressing power button do nothing

I needed to make soft restart (volume down + power button) and then lumia turn on. There was no data loss, but the date & time was incorrect always the same 01.09.2012, 6:47  ;/ after soft restart battery level was something about 80%.

I have returned Lumia to local Nokia Care Center, after week they send me the same phone with new battery... Lumia was working 4h... then the same problem -  turn off and only soft restart help :/

Now I'm waiting for second move from Nokia Care Center and I'm little "angry" I dont have my new, paid phone for 2 weeks;/

Please use plain text.
nursiepooh

I am waiting for my third Nokia 920 in 3 weeks.  The first one had problems with the speaker and headset kept getting static lots of it and people could not hear so I traded it in less than a week ago for another phone.  Then less than a week with the new phone with a fully charged battery the phone dies.  The phone would not turn on I tried recharging hard reset, I took it to the ATT device center they could not get it going so the device center put an order in for a new one.  I also paid the $30 each time for screen protectors, ATT said I have to buy a new one every time and there is nothing they can do bout it.  I really like the phone set up and features.  I did have an iPhone and I do like it better than an iPhone but having to get a new phone every week is going to get old plus the $ for screen protectors.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck with phones. If it is any consolation, mine is over a month old with no issues, so hopefully your next one will be fine. 

Did they really charge you $30 for a screen protector? The cheek of them. I got mine 6 for €2 from eBay and I am still on the first one after a month. 

Please use plain text.
nursiepooh

Yes $30 the good news is I called AT&T and complained and they did credit my bill for $60. 
After checking my bill I also saw an "upgrade fee" of $36.  AT&T also credited the $36 upgrade fee.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

I'm a 'dyed in the wool' Nokia fan but if they don't come up with a fix for this issue soon then I'm going to defect to Apple.

I have now had 5 Lumia 920s. The first 3 from Phone4U telesales had issues with registering the SIM. At least two of these phones had the power up reset problem you described here. In the end I cancelled the contract with Phones4U and signed a contract direct with EE in my local EE store and walked out with a phone that would at least connect to the network. . This 4th phone also had the reset issue and in addition the camera flash did not work! I exchanged it in store for my 5th phone which also has the reset issue. 

In my case all the phones would shut down if I left them on the wireless charger overnight.  I'm not going to sit up all night to take off the charger when it's fully charged! 

I now think it's pointless taking these phones back for exchange. We will only get another one the same. Windows 8 has many other issues that I guess will eventually be fixed through updates.   

It's interesting that this is the most popular thread on the Lumia 920 and as yet not a word from Nokia staff.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

For what it's worth I've had the "won't power up" problem a few times and the reset procedure worked for me each time, although I just pressed "volume down" and "power", not the camera button as well. The phone would crash overnight but simply rebooted after the reset with all my data and settings intact except for the time and date (reverted to 1-Sep-2012 at 5:46am).

Now, I believe I have traced the problem of the phone doing this and narrowed it down to a few apps that appear to misbehave.

The first time this happened was shortly after I installed Amazing Weather HD. I uninstalled that app and the phone ceased crashing. Others report having had no such problems. I did. I don't know why people's experiences would differ so.

Shortly after that I installed the official foursquare app. Re-crash... After consulting with our resident @psychomania, it emerged that foursquare is apparently prone to instability and he recommended "4th & Mayor" as a replacement. Everything settled down after that.

A few days later I installed cinemagraph to see what it could do, and also Shazam. Re-crash... I suspected the latter.

@psychomania then recommended that I dump Shazam in favour of "SoundHound", which works pretty well.

Touch wood, everything is working fine again.

You must always bear in mind that Microsoft made the SDK for Windows Phone 8 available to developers very late in the day, which means that very few apps have been optimised and re-built for that operating system. The majority are legacy WP7 and WP7.5 apps, hence potential problems. This said, the twitter client mehdoh hasn't yet received the WP8 treatment and is perfectly well behaved (had it running since I got a Lumia 920 to test about a month ago). Go figure...

All of this to say that the crashing problems that people, myself included, have been experiencing are very likely down to badly-behaving apps rather than a problem inherent to the phone itself.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.