Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Will not power up

Shakeyd9

I had the same problem and was not told about the hard reboot by Tech Support or I would have tried it.  My 920 quit after 3.5 weeks in my hands, When it locked up I turned it off, but it would not come back on.  Since the phone is unresponsive to the charger, doesn't detect the phone and it will not vibrate at all, I tried for a warranty replacement  with very bad results that I wanted to share with this forum; message below.  The story has a happy ending because an ATT Executive Care Rep helped get a phone shipped to me.  I am very, very accurate in my observations below and ATT is making headway in improving service.  Thanks everyone, I should have checked this forum first.

Problems with AT&T Wireless Warranty Service

Order Details   DATE ORDERED: 12/17/2012, Item Status: Processing

Order Date - 12/12/2012Order Status - Cancelled All of your items were cancelled and will not be shipped.

See information above on the order status for warranty replacement of my NOKIA 920.  I purchased the phone from AT&T Kiosk on 16 Nov. Twenty Six days later the phone died while I was trying to access my email, screen locked up; after turning phone off, I could not turn it back on. I’ve done everything possible and used AT&T Technical Support to try and resolve problem—no luck, I think the battery is defective.  I am a DoD contractor with 11 years customer care experience providing IT Services.  I’m writing you to bring a couple of issues to your attention and to see what your expectations are for the replacement of my defective phone.

1st Issue. No follow-up by customer care or the warranty department on the status of my first order.  After 4 days the online status displayed “processing”; I had to call Sunday evening to see when I could expect my replacement. It was backordered, but status was not updated. Kind lady at customer care, competent and thorough, acted to talk to warranty dept. manager and found the phone was not on backorder (maybe they were referring to blue phone and not a black one).  She booked a call back with me Monday after 5pm but failed to give me update.  Online status now showed cancelled.  I have made at least 8 contacts to warranty dept., order status chat, and customer care over the past 2 days.  Here is where you need to focus….

NOT 1 follow-up call or email was made to me—this you did wrong.  At least the customer care gal had the right attitude and tried to do right by me. When problems need to be escalated, they are probably better handled by Customer Care, someone skilled (with permissions/access) to do something for the customer.  Sorry, she did not continue with me—I’m sure it was because of the problem you are having with NOKIA and the fulfillment of on warranty phones for the 920.

2nd Issue.  Backlog, backorder, and lack of fulfillment on Nokia 920 devices.  I doubt that I need to say much about this. I talked with the warranty dept. supervisor, Nicole, and she gave me a good deal of info on why things were happening like they were.  I was told about 20 days ago, you had a backlog of about 300-400 phones and Nokia was maybe only shipping 100 phones to you at a time. Since then the backlog is better, but you obviously still have an issue with Nokia—good luck.  FYI, I was also told the “back room” was cancelling orders because they knew they would be fulfilled in time (what wrong with this picture)

Final question.  Where are we on my order, 3-5 days; no one can tell me when.  From my experience, I’ve always tried to set expectations with clients—you see I’m also 27 year retired Air Force person who feels people have a right to know what’s happening. I like the fact that Nicole at least gave me the back story—at least I know she is genuine which I value the most.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JCSouljah89

You are a lifesaver :smileyhappy:helped me alot, didnt have my phone for even a week and just randomly turned off and wudnt start, almost had a heart attack lol thank you very much!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sahariba

the reset works and my data seem to be still intact. Thanks for the advice

Please use plain text.
nrgzer

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

I got a new 920 on the 21st. Really like it so far, had an iPhone3GS and an HTC DesireZ so far and I think it's really a great device.

However two days ago the phone went dead as the battery died on me and it would not recharge at all.

I tried the hard reset, the soft reset, all to no avail.

Was going to return it tomorrow.

However this helped:

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/product/lumia920/troubleshooting/  --> "How do I reset my Nokia Lumia if it does not work properly? - Nokia FAQ".

I held the Volume Down Button and plugged in the charging cable. Tada, the boot screen came up and I canceled the factory reset by holding Volume Down and Power for 10 secs during the Exclamation mark.

Now it is finally recharging! I still have to wait and see if my data is still there...

(UPDATE EDIT: Data is there. Phew...)

Anyway I'm somewhat relieved for now, however as this seems to happen repeatedly to lots of people, has anyone had a comment from any Nokia representative so far? Looking at how many people have this issue, I think this may actually be something relevant for the press. I work in the software industry and know a few people, so unless there is some kind of official statement on this I may just point them to this problem to get some reaction.

Thanks all for the help provided in this thread!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TomatoPS

I've got the same issue last night. Did the trick and is working well now.  Thank you very much :thumbsup:

Please use plain text.

My 4 weeks old Lumia 920 started up after the reset but it randomly turned off 3-5 times/day. Hello where is the  quality? I have taken it to a local Nokia Care Point and no question of givining me a new phone like many of you more lucky victims of Nokia have experienced! My NEW Lumia has been at the Nokia Service Center for 3 weeks, I have nor received any info and obviously nobody seems to know what the problem really is! The rumor is that the new software needed will not be ready before the end of February? Too bad Nokia did not test the phone in detail before launching it. I don't know how long this will take and the operator is billing all the time. I am really frustrated and should have waited and hold buying this unfortunate phone. This is a comment from Helsinki in the country of Nokia. You are better off in the U.S.     

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Yantn

Thank you. It worked. I had to try it twice and wait while it charged but it worked! And I only had my phone for a week.  Seems a little ridiculous to have these problems. Just wouldn't charge or turn on. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mvj_karunyam

This suggession is helpful since this is not described anywhere. Thanks for the tip

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Langton

:confused: Help Lumia 920 Will not power up after text a friend my Nye 920 it died !!!!!

Mobile Overlord :thumbup: Thanx for hint now after hARD Reset my Nokia 920 start op :w00t:

solution worked for me and also all my data is as it is...thanks :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
luv920

Thanks for the reboot help!  The Kindle app killed mine last night - cool app but deleted from my phone for now

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ihopson

My lumia 920 ,exact same issues , . I deliberately did not install apps for 48 hrs to check if it was an app causing these issues .
it was obviously not an app as my phone has been dead every morning .
just as an after note my lumia 920 had a fresh software install at my local Nokia care . But still getting shutdowns .
wonderful phone let down by too many issues.
Please use plain text.
gordorfc

Does anyone know when a proper fix for the 'brick' issue with the 920 will be released? I picked up the update last week and my phone still requires a reset at times every day and sometimes every few days, so random. Trying to get any proper information from Nokia is an absolute joke, when you have a faulty phone and they know there are faults, you shouldn't have to Google a fix or a work round, not as if these phones are exactly cheap!!!!! Losing patience with this now
Please use plain text.
jekiboi20

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
harrit62

the last advice helped....keep all 3 buttons down for 5 sec.

yes..not sarcastic....

always try to find solution yourself before marching to service for help...

just to notice...hmmmmm...Im simple

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ramchi

I encountered same issue and hard-reset option worked well without losing data. I kept my phone in the wireless charger and it was fully charged but went off suddenly....not sure why.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sridhar108

Hey, my phone had the same problem (turned off automatically for no reason and could not turn on again). Your hard reset worked for me and no data lost. Thanks :-) Great phone when it is powered on.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ribslp

[ Edited ]

volume down and power button worked for me too. thanks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
scotti5h

Thanks for the info and appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lazaros

it worked. hard reset and my nokia lumia came to life. thank you
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kariimu

I bought my nokia 920 a couple of weeks ago this evening had a similar problem, was using nokia drive and exited the software pressing the back key and the phone died. Used the hard reset and worked a treat - thanks. 

Please use plain text.