Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 Wireless Charging not working - Know...

Contributor
hoytler

Lumia 920 Wireless Charging not working - Known issue?

I have a Nokia Lumia 920, which works perfectly fine. I haven't had some of the other issues reported here with freezing, apps, etc.

I have a Nokia charging plate and I've found that no matter what I do the wireless charging plate absolutely does not work. I've turned off Bluetooth, Wifi, turned ON Battery Saver, disabled every background app, even hard reset my phone and tried charging it from stock. The wireless charging plate doesn't even maintain the current battery state - The battery slowly drains hour by hour. I've also tried placing the phone on the charging plate in different positions to ensure it's making good contact. Nothing works.

Is this a known issue? Is there anyway to identify a defective phone? Is there a possible fix for this? I love my Lumia, but this a killer feature I would expect to work consistently.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia 920 Wireless Charging not working - Known issue?

Does the charger light come on when you place the phone on the charger? I would be more inclined to think the charging plate is faulty rather than the other way round. Positioning phone on charger not that important. I leave in it its silcone case, and place it face up. It would any way I rotate it on the charger. The phone should make the charging tone and the charger light should come on within a few seconds of the phone being placed on the plate. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hoytler

Yes, the light comes on when I place the phone on the charger. It stays solid the entire time.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Best thing to do is to try it with a charging plate you know is working, either a friends or at a phone shop. This way you will know for sure. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hoytler

[ Edited ]

If I could actually find one in a store, I would! That's the other half of the battle: Finding charging plates. I had to order one from AT&T via their web store, which arrived after my AT&T 14 day warranty expired. So if I find out it's my phone, I'm pretty screwed.

So, you'll have to understand - This is a rather frustrating situation to be in. I don't know if it's the phone, the charger, or what. And in order to find out, I'd have to order ANOTHER plate and then see what is wrong. That's rather expensive and time consuming.

No one else has had this issue?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You still have a 12 month Nokia warraty on the phone, and the warranty on accesories us normally 6 months, so you should have at least that on the charging plate.

I see your problem and my suggestion it to bringthe charging plate to the shop instead where I am sure they will have plenty other lumia 920 to test it with. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
LA6507

I just received my wireless charging plate as weel, this afternoon and I am having the exact same problem with my 920 and this charging plate.  This is the only plate I have and my phone has just passed the 14 day return period as well.  I will be visiting my ATT store this afternoon to try to get this resolved.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Athanasius

Finally, after a long-delayed back-order, I received my DT-900.  Have tried every possible combination of phone off, phone on, bluetooth, wi-fi, and network off. Charging light does not come on when I place my Lumia 920 flat on its back on the plate. Qi/NFC works on the phone, so I suspect plate is DOA. Sure would like to hear from Nokia Support on this forum.

Guess I'll be doing some sort of RMA or a store visit tomorrow.

Any solutions to this apparently common issue? Nokia Support, your comments would be most welcomed.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Athanasius wrote:

Finally, after a long-delayed back-order, I received my DT-900.  Have tried every possible combination of phone off, phone on, bluetooth, wi-fi, and network off. Charging light does not come on when I place my Lumia 920 flat on its back on the plate. Qi/NFC works on the phone, so I suspect plate is DOA. Sure would like to hear from Nokia Support on this forum.

Guess I'll be doing some sort of RMA or a store visit tomorrow.

Any solutions to this apparently common issue? Nokia Support, your comments would be most welcomed.

Thanks!

May be a silly thing to ask.. but confirming that you did all these with the NOKIA on the Charging Plate facing UP ...and you also tried connecting the Plate to other Wall Power outlet point ..?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Athanasius

"May be a silly thing to ask.. but confirming that you did all these with the NOKIA on the Charging Plate facing UP ...and you also tried connecting the Plate to other Wall Power outlet point ..?"

To all on this thread: I had the plate upside down. Phone is on plate on correct side. Charging light is solid white. Phone is charging.

User experienced the legendary id10t error type. :smileywink:

Thanks, O Wise farby, Mobile Overlord!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
hoytler

Well, as it turns out my phone is defective. I have another wireless charging plate here and it does the same thing. I'll have to wait until after the holidays since I'll have to go without a phone after shipping it for repair :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
robl3

I have the same issue with my 920. Just got back from the AT&T store where they verified it was my phone. Now I have to wait on a replacement and transfer all my data. How does Nokia have so many phones with this defect?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Javelinadad

It's true that the first time I held the charging plate in my hand I thought the little rubber oval on the surface was an isolator for placing it on the table surface. :smileyhappy:

my bad.

works perfectly after I turned it over and set my phone ON the oval ring.

However, I'm surprised that no one in this thread has mentioned the wireless charger does not work if the battery is below 25% charge! Or is this unique to me? I have a perfectly operating 920. No freezes, reboots, or any of the other issues mentioned by others. And my battery life is very very good. But if I let it discharge below 25%, I gotta wall charge it a bit before I can switch to wireless charging.

love this phone though. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mattech

My charging plate arrived today. I set it up and the plate immediately showed continuous white light when I put the phone on top. However, no matter how I placed the phone tje phone itself made no sound to indicate it was charging and the battery symbol did not show it was charging either. I kept unplugging and plugging back in etc but nothing. Then something weird started happening. When I took the phone back off the phone was making the charging sound and showed the charging symbol before disappearing. I turned the phone off completely and placed on charger. It then booted up as if charging would show a couple loops of charging symbol and then showed a question mark and then stop charging. Feeling well hacked off now I ended up slamming phone down (this was on the bed though!) put it back on the charger and hey presto it started working! Maybe the wireless coil was dislodged or something, perhaps because i have it on vibrate alot. But whatever, it is now working for some reason and works however low or high the current level is. Does get a bit confused when level is low though as it repeatedly keeps beeping between charging sound and battery level low indicator until it gets past that low level.

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

[ Edited ]

OK, this thread is odd. My charging plate works fine. It has a side with a little ring and Nokia in it, and the other side has an oval of rubber around the periphery with the usual conformance writing on it that side Qi, CE, don't throw it on the trash icon,  Mine works just fine with the Oval down, and the Nokia in the ring up. Is that not what others see?

I can turn it over, but it is touchy as to whether I can get the light to come on. Usually not. I assumed, initially, the oval went down to keep it from sliding around on the table, and Nokia went up because they want you to know it's Nokia. Has always worked that way. I wish there was a larger rubber something on the 'top' as the phone can slide and spin more than I think it should.

For what it is worth, I much prefer the charge stand, but the plate is more convenient if I am going to travel somewhere for a while. Couple of days, just charger, week or so, might bring the plate for the hotel.

BTW, I do get the connect noise when putting it on the charge plate. Sometimes it can take a second otr two. When I take it off, it can take several seconds to get the disconnect noise and the charging icon to go away. If I put it back on the charger before the disconnect noise and the charge icon goes away, it does NOT make a connect noise, though the light comes on. The light will also eventually go off at full charge.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mattech

Hmmm, i think there is something wrong with my phone's wireless charge function. I can only get mine to work if i give the back of the handset a slap, lol.

If i do that it starts charging no problems and fairly quick too. Once the phone has been in use for a while and in my pocket nothing happens when i place it on the charger. Good slap on the back of the phone it and place it on sorts it straightaway!

Im hoping the latest update will sort it, but annoyingly appears as though not until Feb outside of America. Luckily, i don't have any of the other reported bugs other than soft camera shots

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

Gotta say that you don't typically knock stuck bits loose slapping a device. Sounds like a hardware issue that a software update probably couldn't fix. I'd see about getting it exchanged.

Please use plain text.
sko7

Mine charged from time to time on the plate.  I noticed that my phone gave me warning signals about low battery sooner than I thought that it should.  I assumed that my apps were power hogs. Apparently it was the charging issue.

The phone was making the noise when it was placed on the wireless charging plate and when it was removed.  Yesterday it stopped making the noise.  I tried a second plate. Same problem.  The light comes on at the front of the plate but there is no response from the phone.  I hate it that I will have to spend an hour or two in the ATT store in line and probably have to replace a very new phone. :crying:

Please use plain text.
euclid920

Went to AT&T tech support and they said they cannot help diagnose my phone until enough defective lumias cycle into the inventory. If there's a recall on these phones, then,fine lets get it fixed and continue moving forward.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vladdlen

Old thread - I know. Just wanted to say that I have the same problem.

It suddenly started for no apparent reason a couple of days ago.

- The charging light on the charger is a constant green when I put my telephone down.

- The phone gives me a couple of "vibrates" to let me know it's being charged.

- The battery indicator on the phone turns to charging.

Charing via cabel works perfectly.

Yet, the phone doesn't get charged.

Has it been confirmed wether it is the phone that's **bleep** or the charging plate? Kinda hard finding a store around here that will let me unbox a wireless charger just to check if the one I have at home is faulty. :-/

Please use plain text.