Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 animated GIF's

Counsellor
coolatta75
Accepted Solution

Lumia 920 animated GIF's

When emailing or texting from the Lumia 920, will users outside of Nokia be able to fully view animated GIF's?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolatta75

Re: Lumia 920 animated GIF's

From my phone browser, I am able to view animated GIF's. So my question is answered?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Austinguy23

I'm curious about this as well. The technology would be pointless if it didn't work everywhere in the form of emails (at least).
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

If the destination device supports animated gifs they will work, if the device doesn't they will either not show or display as a static image.

You can read a lot more about how GIF files work by searching google or wikipedia.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolatta75

I created an animated GIF with Cinemagraph, and it's definitely animated when you view the 920. The recipient getting it on SMS and email viewed a static picture. A small section of this recent article (from the Disclaimer at the bottom, read at the 4th paragraph up), http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/11/05/creating-better-photos-with-nokia-lenses/, reinforces my worry that the only place to view these GIF's is on the 920.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
marrat

The problem is just that the CInemagraph app doesn't allow you to send the .GIF directly and when you send the picture from the Photos app, it only sends the .JPG preview.

When you connect the phone to your computer and go into the Pictures folder, you can see the .GIF file and copy it over to your computer from there and do whatever you want with it (send, etc...). It's animated, as it should be.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolatta75

Interesting, thank you. If what you described is true, that should be improved. We should be able to send an animated GIF from the 920.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
UndCOVer

but they also said they're working into pushing it to facebook :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
UndCOVer

can't you just upload it to Skydrive and then see it directly or just send it :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolatta75

Tried your Sky drive suggestion and still no.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

[ Edited ]

Hi Coolatta75,

I think I have found a solution for you. I have just tried this on my Lumia 920 and it works. Goto Photos then Camera Roll then open the Cinemagraph GIF and select ...

then select Save To Skydrive, and it will upload the GIF. If you are using Windows 8 (or if you don't have Windows 8, you can access SkyDrive on the web-based version), and download it and open it in Internet Explorer. It will work and play. Please remember that the recipient will always view it as a static MMS unless they have an app on their phone that can play animated GIF's, same applies to recipients who view it on their computer. I suggest sending it to their email and they can open it on their computer.

Let us know how you get on.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolatta75

Adrianhughes, thank you. It did work.

I'll share my experience to help other users. Uploaded the GIF to SkyDrive, downloaded the GIF to a PC, and emailed it. Recipients on the iPhone and Note 2 saw it moving. Negative result on my old Samsung Nexus. No problem on a PC, of course.

Ideally I'd like to be able to share with people directly from the 920, but I guess it's not possible because of the GIF's size (the one I tested was 7 MB).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Animated GIFs have been around years, so I'm surprised it hasn't seen more universal support in devices. Then again I can also understand why, due to the lower image quality and smaller and better quality of JPG / PNG files etc.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
slickkid1414

I use to have an iphone and on that we could send GIF files, that you download and save from the internet, as a text message.  Have you found a way to save the gif file from the internet and then send as a text and see that its animated.  I was also sent a GIF file in a text and it wasnt animated.  Is there a setting that I have to change or is it just that the phone doesnt have that capibility yet?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Read the rest of the thread and it will answer your question mate. You will most likely need to transfer the GIF to your PC to view it.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Gifs

It seems that Lumia, are the Only smartphone that does NOT read animated gifs. I open my email, transfer an animated gif and... Nothing. It's a static image.

Whatever

Please use plain text.