Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 - black screen during phone call

Counsellor
Jayzteroid
Accepted Solution

Lumia 920 - black screen during phone call

Sometime ago noticed that 920 screen goes black when I answer the call or press Call button.
And while the screen is black it doesn't response either.
Its almost impossible to cancel call when this happens.

Only means to cancel the call I've come up with so far is to push lock button twice and try to push End call button when it appears for appr. 0,2 seconds and then disappears again.

I haven't done reset yet since its quite annoying to set the phone as it was and it takes quite some time also.

Is there any other way to fix this than reset?

Lumia 1020, N9, 808 PureView, Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Vote NO to Nokia - MS -deal.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: Lumia 920 - black screen during phone call

Do you have any Screen Protector fixed on the display.. If YES, remove that and check if it makes any difference .. You may also go thru' THIS thread as the issue is faced by many users .. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Jayzteroid

I don't use screen protector.
Thanks for the link, I'll try remove dust with vacuum cleaner or compressed air.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Jayzteroid

Compressed air did the trick, also for the dust particles on front camera.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Good to know that .. Enjoy your Lumia 920 and Season's Greetings ...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PalleLNielsen

BLowing dust away from upper right corner above the N in Nokia helped me. Before that I discovered, that

Pushing pretty hard in the upper right corner of the screen, also brought back thedisplay.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AppleSucks

I've had this too. 

It CAN be fixed in the short term.  Simply go to your nearest Nokia Care Point - which you can find easilly via the app on your device and take it in.

It would appear to be a reasonably straight forward task of taking the phone appart to clean it.  However, you may need to wait for the store to get in socks of some tape - which I would assume to be some sort of warranty tape as this needs to be broken to get to the sensor.

Mine is booked to go back to my local Nokia Care centre hopefully next week once they have the tape in stock.  Next mission is to find a decent case to stop the dust getting in there in the first place.

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PTA2567

Thank you for your advice. This was the problem, and it corrected itself as the screen protector was removed.

The whole process of moving from Lumia 800 to 920 has been such hard work, this almost finished me off. I'm a Nokia loyalist and resiting pressure from my wife to move to an Iphone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mwgass

Weirdest thing.  I read the post here, breathed in really deep, and blew into the upper right corner of the phone as hard as I could.  Issue resolved, at least for now.  Bizarre.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Jayzteroid

Canned air or vacuum cleaner doesn't do the trick for me anymore.
Seems that I'll have to send my phone for repairs.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ErikJ

FYI, I ran an over-the-air update for my Lumia 920 two days ago and this problem has stopped happening.  I am very happy about that!  I have an unlocked phone (from Microsoft Build conference) but I'm running the AT&T image (can't recall the exact name).  My OS version is 8.0.10211.204 and the firmware version is 1232.5957.1308.0001 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vcllopes1986

I had this problem in the beginning and now it came back. Nothing that I do now work.

is there any other alternative instead of take to Nokia care?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Are you having the latest 1308 update ? Some users have reported that the issue has been resolved by the update. Its still not clear whether its a software issue or really the issue created by the sensor getting covered by the dust. 

There is nothing more that you can do other than visiting Nokia Care ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vcllopes1986

My phone has the latest update but Im not sure if im facing some region problem. I brought the phone in Singapore and now I leave in Brazil. The LANGUAGE+REGIOS on phone is English (US). Now that you mentioned about updating, I dont know if it is the problem. =/

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vcllopes1986

I saw that the updating 1308 may fix the bug on sensor during calls but I cant download it. I dont know how many times i already clicked on PHONE UPDATE but nothing happen - the update to 1308 never shows up.

My OS version still is 1249 and I cant update to 1308. 
If someone knows how I can update to 1308, I'll be very glad.

Thank you all and still trying to fix it. :'-(

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vcllopes1986

FINALLY. I got to solve my problem about the updating and the black screen during phone call.

For all that still are having the black screen problem >> I updated my phone to OS version 1308 and the problem was solved. If you are not getting to update your phone using SETTING > PHONE UPDATE, you can download NOKIA CARE SUITE and update by it. Worked to me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
roseangel921

I figured out that since I had just placed a screen protector on my phone is when I started having the same problem.  I took it off and voila...it stopped blacking out when I made phone calls.  Going to put another one on below the nokia name and see if it will still work

Please use plain text.